Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Laura Davies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #1

There's Nothing Like a Dame!

I missed this as they didn't mention her on the news this morning, but, of course, it's women's sport, isn't it. Congratulations to LD for getting up in the Queen's Birthday Honours today.

Dame Laura Davies, great recognition for her and golf.

heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Forum Moderator

Report from the BBC

BBC Sport - Queen's Birthday Honours: Davies, Gatland, Edwards recognised

Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #3

I'm not,like,one of those incredibly annoying,bearded Marxist types,or anything,but I do believe this whole dispensing of honours is positively feudal.

It's an incredibly archaic,corrupt system,rife with rewards for political cronies and business friends of the ruling classes,with the sop of a few crumbs handed out to the 'little' people.

It really has no place in any modern society.

But,yeah,congratulations to Laura...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 06-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
I'm not,like,one of those incredibly annoying,bearded Marxist types,or anything,but I do believe this whole dispensing of honours is positively feudal.

It's an incredibly archaic,corrupt system,rife with rewards for political cronies and business friends of the ruling classes,with the sop of a few crumbs handed out to the 'little' people.

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
What benefits does one get with these honors? Is it just a name or is there some other life advantage?

It seems kind of like the Presidential Medal of Freedom that we have in the States ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...dom_recipients
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #5

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
I think it's nice for those who give of their time over the years to get recognised in some way. I think the response of the recipient tells you wha they feel about it. At least the QBH's seem to smack less of cronyism than the NY ones.

Blue, it might mean you get into restaurants or events when you might otherwise not. You'll be invited to some 'things' because of it, and you'll know that someone felt you were worthy of being nominated for what you've done over the years. Otherwise you don't get a lot out of it. If they are being correct then if being introduced on the tee she should be introduced as Dame Laura Davies, I think that will happen at the WBO.

By contrast Angelina Jolie will not be able to call herself or be known as Dame Angelina Jolie. Her's is an honorary (as a foreigner) appointment to the Order of St Michael and St George, where as LD's is an award.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #6

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
I seldom agree with you...but on this one I 100% agree.
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
What benefits does one get with these honors? Is it just a name or is there some other life advantage?
It would certainly open doors that are closed to us mere mortals.

If you have 'Sir' or 'Dame' as a prefix,rather than 'Mr' or 'Ms',opportunities present themselves. These opportunities are based not on any particular talent,but on the title before your name.

It perpetuates a horrible 'us' and 'them' version of society that should have been consigned to the dustbin of history alongside slavery and sending kids up chimneys.

And,also,the very wonderful Honor Blackman turned down an honour,so that's good enough for me...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 06-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #8

There'll always be a 'them' and 'us' version, because if it isn't about class it becomes about money. You think the USA doesn't have 'them' and 'us'? Oz has become increasingly the haves and the have nots.

Whatever, Laura Davies seems to appreciate the recognition and is accepting of it. Too bad if others don't like it.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #9

I'm not,like,one of those incredibly annoying,bearded Marxist types,or anything....

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
OK, perhaps not bearded, but incredibly annoying might be accurate.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #10

It would certainly open doors that are closed to us mere mortals.

If you have 'Sir' or 'Dame' as a prefix,rather than 'Mr' or 'Ms',opportunities present themselves. These opportunities are based not on any particular talent,but on the title before your name.

It perpetuates a horrible 'us' and 'them' version of society that should have been consigned to the dustbin of history alongside slavery and sending kids up chimneys.

And,also,the very wonderful Honor Blackman turned down an honour,so that's good enough for me...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Couldn't one assume that most of the Sirs and Dames actually do have some sort of talent or accomplishment beyond your average slave or chimney child?

There's "us and them" in all societies, and some of "us" rather like "them."

Congrats to LD.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote