Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Laura Davies

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
Contest Statistician
 
xman5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,688
God save the queen
We mean it man
And there is no future
In England's dreaming
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
dangerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,528
Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
There'll always be a 'them' and 'us' version, because if it isn't about class it becomes about money. You think the USA doesn't have 'them' and 'us'? Oz has become increasingly the haves and the have nots.
You mean there'll always be a Donald Sterling and an O.J. Simpson?
Well...atleast the rich people of the U.S. work hard to earn their money and pay a bunch of taxes to help the economy while the Royalty lives on public money and private donations while doing nothing! I heard Queen Elizabeth II is one of the riches women in the world. Where did she get her money? She never worked. They are like the Kardashians...getting rich without talents and doing nothing. Well...atleast the Kardashians probably pay their taxes.

"The Crown has a legal tax-exempt status because certain acts of parliament do not apply to it. Crown bodies such as The Duchy of Lancaster are not subject to legislation concerning income tax, capital gains tax or inheritance tax. Furthermore, the Sovereign has no legal liability to pay such taxes. The Duchy of Cornwall has a Crown exemption and the Prince of Wales is not legally liable to pay income tax on Duchy revenues."
__________________
"On this hapless EARTH
There's small SINCERITY of mirth
And LAUGHTER oft is but an ART
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"


Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #13
Moderator
 
Buzzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Posts: 3,797
It's a well known and documented fact that the richest Americans pay the least amount of taxes.
The wealthy have all the loopholes......Go to the library and read about it. Start with Warren Buffet.
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #14
Moderator
 
Saint-Just X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,076
Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Couldn't one assume that most of the Sirs and Dames actually do have some sort of talent or accomplishment beyond your average slave or chimney child?
Straw man alert ! Straw man alert !

Nobody was comparing the talents of honours' recipients with those of slaves and child chimney sweeps. The argument was that all three - an honours system,slavery and child labour - belong in the past and have no place in a modern society.

As for your 'merit' argument,itself,there are plenty of 'Sirs' and 'Dames' whose sole contribution to society was giving large sums of money to the likes of Thatcher and Blair. Political cronyism at its very worst.

There are convicted criminals who hold the title of 'Sir' and 'Dame' ;what have these scumbags done to deserve such an accolade ?


Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
There's "us and them" in all societies, and some of "us" rather like "them."
Really ? Well,that might explain it,then.

Personally,I've never seen the point of tugging one's forelock at one's supposed betters....

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
__________________
Make Momoko Great Again (MMGA)- Rolex World Ranking as of 11/09/17 : 83rd
Saint-Just X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,118
Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
You mean there'll always be a Donald Sterling and an O.J. Simpson?
Well...atleast the rich people of the U.S. work hard to earn their money and pay a bunch of taxes to help the economy while the Royalty lives on public money and private donations while doing nothing! I heard Queen Elizabeth II is one of the riches women in the world. Where did she get her money? She never worked. They are like the Kardashians...getting rich without talents and doing nothing. Well...atleast the Kardashians probably pay their taxes.

"The Crown has a legal tax-exempt status because certain acts of parliament do not apply to it. Crown bodies such as The Duchy of Lancaster are not subject to legislation concerning income tax, capital gains tax or inheritance tax. Furthermore, the Sovereign has no legal liability to pay such taxes. The Duchy of Cornwall has a Crown exemption and the Prince of Wales is not legally liable to pay income tax on Duchy revenues."

The same old bullsh$t response!!! The monarch of the day (currently), while generally exempt from tax actually does pay tax and a lot of it. As does the Duchy of Cornwall and Duchy of Lancaster. Yes, tax payers pay to keep the State buildings and apartments etc but something like 50p a year. I believe it has been proved that they give back more than they are given. A lot of what is held is held in perpetuity for the country, it is not theirs to sell, transfer or give away. Have you any concept of how much money they actually bring in to the country? Clearly not.

Are you trying to tell me whoever is the occupant of the White House pays for the running and upkeep out of their own pocket? I don't hear your objection to paying for it.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #16
Moderator
 
Saint-Just X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,076
Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
The same old bullsh$t response!!! The monarch of the day (currently), while generally exempt from tax actually does pay tax and a lot of it. As does the Duchy of Cornwall and Duchy of Lancaster. Yes, tax payers pay to keep the State buildings and apartments etc but something like 50p a year. I believe it has been proved that they give back more than they are given. A lot of what is held is held in perpetuity for the country, it is not theirs to sell, transfer or give away. Have you any concept of how much money they actually bring in to the country? Clearly not.

Are you trying to tell me whoever is the occupant of the White House pays for the running and upkeep out of their own pocket? I don't hear your objection to paying for it.
Hedd,how is this accurately quantified ?

I want my 50p a year back from these thieving bastards. (I also expect it's somewhat more than 50p per year that the average taxpayer pays for the upkeep of these people.)

Isn't the White House analogy flawed ?

The occupant of the White House is subject to the whim of the people ; the occupant of Buck House,not so much...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
__________________
Make Momoko Great Again (MMGA)- Rolex World Ranking as of 11/09/17 : 83rd
Saint-Just X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,118
Obviously we don't agree, StJ. All I can say is would have wanted Thatcher as your head of state (even if she was in her own mind)?
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
dangerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,528
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
It's a well known and documented fact that the richest Americans pay the least amount of taxes.
The wealthy have all the loopholes......Go to the library and read about it. Start with Warren Buffet.
I'm always in agreement with you, your honor...but on the above statements, I respectfully disagree with you. Wealthy people may have all the loopholes or deductions...but they still pay more taxes than the average people who not only don't pay their taxes, but take money from the average tax payers like you and me a.k.a. welfare recepients, etc. Some of them are capable of working...they're just plain lazy.
__________________
"On this hapless EARTH
There's small SINCERITY of mirth
And LAUGHTER oft is but an ART
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"


Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:37 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
dangerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,528
Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
The same old bullsh$t response!!! The monarch of the day (currently), while generally exempt from tax actually does pay tax and a lot of it. As does the Duchy of Cornwall and Duchy of Lancaster.
Yes...they may pay their taxes in their own will(to make them look good), but if they don't unlike the so-called common people...if they don't pay their taxes they'll end up in jail.
Originally Posted by heddwyn
Yes, tax payers pay to keep the State buildings and apartments etc but something like 50p a year. I believe it has been proved that they give back more than they are given. A lot of what is held is held in perpetuity for the country, it is not theirs to sell, transfer or give away. [B]Have you any concept of how much money they actually bring in to the country? Clearly not.
Tell me how they bring in money? They never work nor run the country. They are mere human "decorations" who travel a lot at the expenses of the tax payers.

Originally Posted by hyddwyn
Are you trying to tell me whoever is the occupant of the White House pays for the running and upkeep out of their own pocket? I don't hear your objection to paying for it.
Well, the person who lives in the White House runs the country and he has big responsibilities like commander-in-chief of the U.S. military, making sure that the citizens are safe from harms, etc...the reason why you don't hear me complaining. In fact, I think, with all his duties and responsibilities, he is underpaid.
__________________
"On this hapless EARTH
There's small SINCERITY of mirth
And LAUGHTER oft is but an ART
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"


Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:06 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,118
They don't work, huh. Whether you think it's work or not, I can assure you you would not want their job.

Some years ago in a program about them the comment was made during some official reception that in the year the Queen shook hands with several thousand people, there were several zeros after the first number, but that number of people only shook hands with the Queen once. Think about it.

Yep, all that free travel. Going here, there and everywhere in a day having to swot up on the function they are going to, shaking hands, being polite, smiling regardless of feeling like crap. Yes, they have bolt holes to escape to, so long as you can put up with papparazi with long lens cameras wanting to catch any photo opp, 'friends' who are all too willing to talk to gossip columnists so they can so you have virtually no private life. Yep, a great life.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2 PL2

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!