Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Laura Davies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Forum Moderator

Laura Davies comments on death of Mel Reid's mum

Very nice tribute from Laura Davies upon the sudden death of Mel Reid's mom in a car crash in Germany

Players mourn Melissa Reidís mother

24th May 2012

Many of the players in the field at the UniCredit Ladies German Open presented by Audi are playing with heavy hearts this week after Melissa Reidís mother, Joy, was seriously injured in a car accident on Tuesday night in Germany and she passed away on Wednesday afternoon.

She and her husband, Brian, Melissa's father, were in Germany to watch Melissa play in the tournament and many of the players had seen Joy on the night of the accident. Melissa wasnít in the car at the time and Brian escaped with a few broken ribs.

Understandably, Melissa withdrew from the tournament and will spend some time at home with her family whilst they try to come to terms with this tragedy.

Melissa was due to play in the Deloitte Ladies Open in Holland next week where she was to defend her title but has put all playing plans on hold.

Melissaís Solheim Cup partner Laura Davies expressed her sadness after her first round in Germany when she told the assembled media in a press conference that it was the worst thing she had experienced in 27 years on Tour.

Davies paid tribute to Joy Reid
She said: ďI knew Joy, Mel Reidís mum, really well, because Mel and I get on really well and over the last two to three years her mum and dad have come to a lot of events and Iíve spent a lot of time with them. Dinners in AustraliaÖ in Australia, we were on the beach playing cricket with them and out to dinner two or three times a week because we were staying in the same places. You just know such a nice person and for that to happen to Mel and her mum and dad is the most awful thing I can remember in 27 years on tour.

ďThere have been some caddies killed in car crashes in America that I remember and very sad days but this one is by far for me the worst day Iíve known on the tour.

ďJoy loved golf, she loved watching Mel play golf but was very kind to me and I sent Mel a text saying how kind Joy was to me over the years that I knew her. She wouldnít want anyone to stop playing golf. She loved watching us play and she would be disappointed if anyone pulled out on her behalf.

ďItís not a sign of disrespect to play; itís a sign of respect. I put her initials on my ball today and I probably will for the rest of the week and probably will for the rest of the year because she was a lovely lady and this is horrible for everyone and I canít even imagine how Mel and her dad feel now.Ē

Melissa wrote on Facebook: "I hate writing this on Facebook but I know how much you love it mum ;). You're the most beautiful person I've ever met. Life is not measured by its duration but donation. Love you always xxxxxxxxxxxxxx."

Joy followed her daughter around the world at golf tournaments and was well known by the players, many of whom will wear black ribbons as a mark of respect this weekend.
source: Ladies European Tour (LET) - Players mourn Melissa Reidís mother
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #2

Tragic loss for the Reid family, and a shock for those playing on the LET tour last week when the accident happened. The disappointing thing about this news is that the LPGA site failed to mention it at all, yet Melissa Reid has played in the US.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Laura had a very good day today. I am sure she was inspired by her good friend.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #4

Saw that a lot of the players at Shoprite had "Joy" stickers on their hats - very nice gesture. The LPGA could use a few lessons in "nice-gestureness" - unbelievable that they didn't even acknowledge this on their site. Of course, they're "different out here."
Old 06-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #5

By the way - yes, I'm getting old and cynical but I'll still be climbing the roof with DB in Colorado!