Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Karrie Webb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #1

We've Heard this Before...

---from Sydney Morning Herald. Every time a good player wins or does some new training routine, they say they are ready to challenge Annika. Is Karrie really ready, or was the KNC just a great performance but no precursor of an Annika assault! :D

Challenging Annika is next up for Karrie

KARRIE Webb won her seventh major last Sunday, but she will be treating it as if it were her maiden title and the first step on the long journey back to being world No.1.

Webb's tour coach, Ian Triggs, said yesterday he believed her outpouring of emotion after a dramatic Kraft Nabisco Championship victory could prove to be the catalyst for a serious challenge to long-time rival Annika Sorenstam.

"I've never done anything that spectacular to win a golf tournament," said Webb, whose pitch in at the 18th for eagle secured a tie and prompted her to leap into the arms of her Scottish caddy Mickey Paterson, joyously punching the air.

"We need to see a lot more of Karrie showing her true excitement," said Triggs. "If we do, we could see a really true professional in the Annika Sorenstam mould."

Triggs said Webb had to view her latest major as her first as she begins her journey back to the top all over again. "She's got to go back to the beginning, like it's her first major and win some more majors and keep playing better golf," he said.

It was while Webb was waiting to be inducted into golf's Hall of Fame and writing her acceptance speech that she remembered just what a great player she had been and could be again.

She had worried herself sick about being inducted and her golf suffered, but it also provided her with some motivation to be that good again. "It made me realise how good I had played and that I wanted to be able to do it again," Webb said.

The Queenslander finished 2005 without a win but knuckled down with Triggs and her career coach, Kelvin Haller, to make some changes in 2006.

Despite a poor performance in the ANZ Ladies Masters at Royal Pines in February, she headed back overseas in positive mood. Knowing she was striking the ball well after a week of hard work with Triggs, she stormed home at Mission Hills last weekend.

The win took her season earnings to $US294,275 ($403,752), edging her past Sorenstam and into third place behind Julie Inkster ($311,228 ($A427,012)) on the tour's official money list. "I just want to enjoy my golf a bit more and enjoy the good times more like I did last Sunday," she said.

AAP

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:46 PM   #2

I really can't see Webbie worrying about the "me versus Annika" stuff like she may have a few years ago when they were going head to head. I believe her whole mindset has evolved to a degree where she just wants to enjoy the game, enjoy any wins she gets and not worry about who's number one, number two or whatever. From what I took away from Webb's interviews after winning the KNC, she wants to have some fun - if you're not worried about a lot of crap, and you're just enjoying yourself out there, I think there's gonna be more wins in her future. It'll be nice watching Webbie just relax, play well, and enjoy whatever happens.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:58 AM   #3

That works for Phil. Maybe Annika should do the same.