Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Karrie Webb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #1

Webb at Evian...Interesting Comments

Once again...despite what the admin and others wish the LPGA "world" to be, players will be asked questions about other players or about controversial issues. How they respond to them is very telling.

Good reply from Webbie.

Q. What do you think of last year Michelle Wie pushed you all the way, and now she seems to be in a slump the first one, really, of her golfing life. What's your take on that?

KARRIE WEBB: Yeah, I would hate to be in Michelle's shoes; I really feel badly for her. I think what people forget is that she is only 17, and what she has already accomplished as 17 year old, some people would love to do that through their whole career.

Yes, she hasn't won, but too many people have been too hard on her. She's been sort of in the spotlight, and it's difficult to be in that position. So obviously once you get to that spot, people see what you're made of and whether you're going to take a step forward and continue to be a solid player or whether it will knock you down if you don't achieve what you're supposed to achieve.

I can only imagine where the way she must be feeling right now. I think there's a little bit of nerves, really, and she's still the most athletically posed. And whether she does it now or later, it will still be great. Whether she does it now or at 24 or at 30, it will be great.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #2

"and she's still the most athletically posed. "

Alright LoJo, what is that supposed to mean?
Old 07-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #3

Originally Posted by cleo View Post
"and she's still the most athletically posed. "

Alright LoJo, what is that supposed to mean?
I don't know what it means. Webbie said it...not me!

I presume she believes...in her opinion...that Wie has a great athletic ability to perform in the future at the highest level.

What do you think Webb's comments meant?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #4

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post

I presume she believes...in her opinion...that Wie has a great athletic ability to perform in the future at the highest level.

I was confused by the "athletically posed" thing myself. I basically felt that she was saying MW is athletically gifted, and that she feels that the slump she's currently in is temporary.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #5

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post

Well, based on the wording, it could mean that she feels Wie looks the most athletic when she is posing, like after a shot, and holding her finish. If that's what she means, so what?

If she feels Wie is the most athletic women who plays on tour I'd have a problem with that. In Michelle's own words, she injured her left wrist after stumbling running backwards and trying to cushion her fall with the left hand.

That's sounds a whole lot more like klutzy than athletic.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
Forum Moderator

I wouldn't sweat over it. They make a lot of transcription errors in these interviews. She could have said something entirely different. Athletically possessed, athletically composed, who knows?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #7

I chose to quote the transcript posted on Hellpga.com. As noted, these transcripts of interviews are often wrong. Hell....they claimed Nancy Lopez said she was hitting greens and making birdies.

From a more accurate media source, this is what Karrie said....and it makes more sense than the "posed" comment:
"I really feel badly for her," she said. "I think what people forget is that she is only 17, and too many people have been too hard on her. She's still probably the most athletically talented player in the field and has as much chance to be No. 1 ? not necessarily at 17, perhaps at 25 or 30."
Old 07-25-2007, 09:18 PM   #8

If anyone has read the transcript from the Evian with the 2 French fellows and Bivens, you'll understand just how "transposed" the transcripts get. If you haven't read it, and you're planning to, take some headache meds first.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #9

Yeah, putter...that was just so stupid wasn't it? Allo?

Though, I liked the part where one of the Frenchies said something was ...."bull$hit"....
Old 07-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #10

Originally Posted by cleo View Post
In Michelle's own words, she injured her left wrist after stumbling running backwards and trying to cushion her fall with the left hand.
That's sounds a whole lot more like klutzy than athletic.
Mmm, is there anyone who hasn't tripped over their own feet? Ever tried running backwards for any length of time? Unless you're practiced at it, it isn't easy! It might have been a poor decision rather than klutzy.

I'd agree with the second source quoted.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote