Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Karrie Webb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2006, 08:09 AM   #1

Karrie'w new endorsement

Hi All,

Read in a local ozzie newspaper that Karrie has just signed a deal with a major financial insititution rumoured to be worth seven figures over the next 3 years..

Looks like the Nabisco victory has sparked some interest which is good to hear !

Karrie currently has deals with Epson, Srixon Golf & Lazy Susan

Cheerio

Johnboy
Johnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:05 PM   #2

Must have missed that report. Which paper?

Which financail institution or do we have to wait to see what patch is added to her clothing? :lol:
Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
Forum Moderator

BJ tells Koreans his daughter is more Korean than American

Among BJ Wie's claims about Michelle:

"She did not start learning English until after she was attending school." and "The only thing about her that’s American is her passport."

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/ht...604210011.html

BJ should be careful or his contradictions and inconsistencies will get the best of him yet again.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #4

Hi ya blue....interesting post of your....and more interesting is BJ's quote....when I first read it, I thought to myself...Oh Oh...what is he saying...upon further reading of your link....here is what I think

first of all....let me include the preceding statement he said BEFORE he made that quote that you posted.....

BJ said “I’m well aware there that some say, since Michelle Wie is an American why is she making such a fuss. But you know what, the only thing about her that’s American is her passport, she is "definitely" Korean.”

if you will read the portion BEFORE he even made this quote....they talk about the Donation that MW is making for the "the Yonsei Severance Hospital and Korea University Medical Center to help children without financial means, receive much need surgeries"....this is in Korea and the pixs that she keeps with her are of these children that she helps....these children are Korean.....and perhaps this correlates with BJ's "since Michelle Wie is an American why is she making such a fuss.".....this might be the reason for the "she is Korean" explaination.....

however I do agree that he SHOULD have put it more diplomatically instead of saying his "passport" comment....of that I will agree with you....he could have stated it in a way that it wouldn't get taken out of context by some.....but I think his comments were directed because of MW helping Korean Children although she is an American Citizen....but heck....a lot of celebrities help out others despite being Americans

anyway....nice nice article nonetheless....it does show the caring and mature side of Wiesy....this is the side that I like best....YEP!!! even BETTER than her golf side....she is already proving that she is definately a TERRIFFIC member of today's society.....isn't this what everything is all about.....anyway....I am off to work....have a great day....see ya!!
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
Forum Moderator

The problem I have is that once again BJ is over-promoting, and yes, HYPING, his daughter and it is hurting her.

This is completely uncessary. She is an American of Korean ancestry. That is a fact and it is a great fact and he should leave well enough alone. To add sillines about "The only thing American about her is her Passport" is ridiculous and will just open him up to more ridicule (as if he doesn't have enough.) And make him look like a fool when he then has to market her in the States as "a regular All-American teenager" which he has done and will try to do again.

And then to go on and on about ther favorite food -- all Korean -- as if she can't speak for herself. What is she, three years old?

I also believe Michelle has been quoted, and someone (probably me) will find the quote, saying that she learned English and Korean at the same time at home living with bilingual parents. So, for him to try to exagerate this now into saying that she didn't learn English untli she went to school will come back to bite him.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #6

I don't want to get involved in any heated debate over this, so let me just say this. All this is just a matter of semantics.....the way we say things....none of us are real Americans, except Notah Begay, and other native Americans.....all the rest of us who are born in the good old USA, are Americans by birth....just like Michelle Wie!

This subject can get complicated as all Americans have parents or grand-parents, or great-grand-parents who were born in a foreign country.....therefore we are American born with a certain descent......but most people who know us don't even know....OR CARE what that descent is. BJ and Bo were born in Korea, so that makes Michelle 100 percent Korean DESCENT only. She is still an American by virtue of being born here. It's as simple as that!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #7

I don't know if any of you are Korean...so I'm not sure who to ask here...but I know in some other Asian cultures there are words that are sometimes used to describe American-born people with certain Asian heritage. For example, in Cantonese there is a term, jook sing, which is tough to explain in a word or two, but think of it as hollow, useless bamboo. Sometimes, Asians who consider themselves "real" Chinese, Thai, Indian, etc will look down on their American-born counterparts. It's actually sad how much internecine prejudice exists within some Asian cultures (Hong Kong people who look down on Beijing people who look down on Yunnan people.) I'm not trying to excuse BJ, he could have been more diplomatic, but I don't know if "Michelle isn't really Korean like we (Korean-born Koreans) are" is something he's heard for years and he is fed up with it. It's amazing how some American-born Asians have to fight to prove their "Asian-ness." Believe me, I know... :(

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #8
Forum Moderator

Huh? She was born and raised in the United States. Goes to school in the United States. Has never held any citizenship other than American. Speaks English as her native language, like, um you know's and all, (despite what her father claims). Was an American citizen long before she even applied for the passport of which her father speaks.

It is not at all complicated.

My grandparents were all immigrants and I never for a moment consider myself anything other than American, nor do my parents who are just like Michelle Wie, children of immigrants. In fact, my parents' parents came to this country not even speaking English and with little education, unlike the Wie parents. And my have parents never for a moment considered themselves anything but American. But then my parents are not trying to sell themselves as marketing objects back in the old country.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #9
PW

Blue, I'm sure BJ's comments were originally in Korean, so you are interpreting the translation of his comments. Translations are imprecise. He may well have said that she didn't start speaking English regularly until she started attending school. Who knows, who cares.
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #10

It might not be complicated for some, but speaking for myself as an Asian-American, within our own sub-community, it can get nasty at times. Some Asian-Americans share your feeling...they feel 100% American, end of story. But there are others, like myself, who of course consider themselves American, but also want to feel accepted by members of their ancestral heritage...but they are not, in fact are made to feel less. Maybe that's not your experience, but I'm saying it does exist with some Asians, and it would not surprise me if BJ has had to deal with this with Michelle.

Michelle might not care either way...

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote