Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Karrie Webb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #21

LoJo...it was this year 2006 when JRO begged off and her partner Larraneta of Spain also backed out. They were replaced by Dorothy Delasin and Rhea Quizon of the Philippines. But last year 2005, JRO and Dorothy Delasin were partner and they finished 2nd place behind Japan.

I think you got your year mixed up...it seems long time ago! Time goes fast when you are having fun!

To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:44 PM   #22

Originally Posted by LoJo
Steven.... Christina didn't play in last year's Pinx Cup (which was when the Solheim was played).

I recall there was some hostility in Asia about allowing a Korean/American (or American/Korean) to play. Maybe she just decided to bow out of that event last year. I agree w/ you...if you're gonna play as an American for Solheim, then you shouldn't go elsewhere and play as something else.
Xtina played in the PINX Cup in 2004. Here are some photos:

And you guys are correct, she got a lot of heat from Koreans about not really being "Korean" but basically said was going to play.

Here is a report on it from HappyFan's http://www.seoulsisters.com site. As a Thai-American who wants to be embraced by my Thai ancestry, I know how Xtina felt:

But no doubt the biggest early splash was provided by Christina Kim. Christina had an unfortunate history with this event. A few months ago, the KLPGA made its suggestions for the team by picking the six top LPGA players of Korean descent, like they always do. But this time, one of those six was Korean-American Christina Kim. A small but vocal minority of press and fans felt that that was not right, that only true Koreans should play on the team. When Christina came to Korea to play in the CJ 9 Bridges Classic in October, she was mercilessly grilled by the press, who asked her over and over again why she felt she deserved to be on the team when she could barely speak Korean. They claimed she was too American, and Christina found herself in the awkward position of proving how Korean she is. They even went so far as to criticize an old interview in America, when she answered a question about whom she thought was a 'hot athlete' by replying Apollo Anton Ohno. Ohno was perhaps the least popular American athlete in Korea, owing to a 'scandal' in which he won a gold medal at the 2002 Olympics at the expense of a Korean athlete in a controversial manner. Nearly in tears, Christina nonetheless stuck to her guns and declared her desire to play.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #23

I told you...LoJo is all mixed up! That's unusual...her information was always accurate! Maybe just on the Golf Rules! :lol:

Nice pictures BangkokB! With all the picture evidences you have, no one can fool you, huh!

To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:17 PM   #24
Forum Moderator

The rules about what teams you can play for in certain international sports competition is completely different from what your citizenship might be.

Belive me, with all the press written about Michelle Wie, if she had dual Korean-American citizenship (which I doubt even exists), it would be written about, at least in the Korean press, and it has not.

I'm Jewish and I believe I can play on the Isreali Olympic team (if I were an athlete and good enough to qualify) even though I'm not an Israeli citizen, have never even been to Israel, nor have either of my parents. Each country's Olympic Organizing Committee makes their own rules about who can play on their team. In some countries, the US for example, you have to be a citizen. In other countries, there are different criteria. And other national sports competitions have other rules. So just because you see someone playing on a national team doesn't mean they are a citizen of that country.

And to get back to the point, the point was BJ Wie's claim that "the only thing American about Michelle is her Passport" and the her favorite food is Korean food and she just loves watching Korean TV is nauseating. That's just insulting BS. When he's talking to potential American fans, he tells them that she's an all-American girl out shopping at the mall drinking Coke (or some similar American food), listening to the latest American bands, etc.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:04 PM   #25

Originally Posted by Blue
And to get back to the point, the point was BJ Wie's claim that "the only thing American about Michelle is her Passport" and the her favorite food is Korean food and she just loves watching Korean TV is nauseating. That's just insulting BS. When he's talking to potential American fans, he tells them that she's an all-American girl out shopping at the mall drinking Coke (or some similar American food), listening to the latest American bands, etc.
So Bj claiming his daughters favortie food is korean is nauseating to you... OK.. Funny I consider myself a Wie fan but I can give two *** what her favorite food or what her Dad claims is her favorite food is let alone be bothered by it lol.

Oh my not only is that info nauseating its Insulting to you, my goodness! I wonder if this is isolated to the few Like you or if I'm the minority and most americans would find this both insulting and nauseating.

In regards to what he tells potential american fans... I'm not privy to much of that just as I wasnt to this "controversial story" somehow I missed the uproar in the national media.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:18 PM   #26

The problem I have is that once again BJ is over-promoting, and yes, HYPING, his daughter and it is hurting her.
Im not trying to pick on your posts but I'm really having a problem understanding your obsession for lack of a better word with BJ lol. First how has he OVER promote or Over Hype his daughter? By answering reporters question in an interviews? By putting her in too many commercials? By running her ad strategies marketing campaigns? By running around with a human billboard of her? And how is he hurting her? Did he cost her some lucrative contract with nike or something? Inquiring minds like to know.
This is completely uncessary. She is an American of Korean ancestry. That is a fact and it is a great fact and he should leave well enough alone. To add sillines about "The only thing American about her is her Passport" is ridiculous and will just open him up to more ridicule (as if he doesn't have enough.) And make him look like a fool when he then has to market her in the States as "a regular All-American teenager" which he has done and will try to do again.
His answer may have been silly, it may have been "lost in translation" or it may have been "no big deal" as I dont see the media or public making a big deal of it. But open for ridicule? That comment makes him more open to ridicule? Really in what way? And does it really matter? The reality is the national media and public arent concern about BJ, they are following Michelle not her father.
And then to go on and on about ther favorite food -- all Korean -- as if she can't speak for herself. What is she, three years old?
O man the man revealed that he thinks his childs favorite food is Korean! Why did he do that?! He should have said I cant answer that she's not a three year old you must ask her yourself. Attention all dads, do not ever think about revealing your child's favorite food.
I also believe Michelle has been quoted, and someone (probably me) will find the quote, saying that she learned English and Korean at the same time at home living with bilingual parents. So, for him to try to exagerate this now into saying that she didn't learn English untli she went to school will come back to bite him.
Just curious lets assume he did exagerate and she did learn both at the same time how is that going to BITE him? Who's gonna bite him? Whats it gonna really matter lol? Its not like hes running for president lol And even if he was or could I dont think getting caught exxagerating about his duaghter is gonna cost him.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:24 PM   #27

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!

Some of you are missing the point.

This is all about the Money. BJ is smart enough to know that Koreans are very Nationalistic and he's just sucking up to Korean Press to win some endorsement deals. When he's in Japan, he sucks up to Japanese Press, and so on.

However, he has to be very careful, because the downside to all this is that he can come up looking very phoney.

:lol:
WowWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:35 PM   #28

My point is while people might have been put off a littleno one cared about Serena and Venus WIlLiams dad. They cared about Serena and Venus. What matter was what those two did not what their dad did. And compared to him BJ is a saint.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #29
Forum Moderator

WowWie, yes, that's been my point all along. BJ is a master of that sort of thing. I guess some people think it's harmless. I don't. Maybe that's what separates the Wie maniaces from those, like me, that have a hard time seeing beyond BJ's magic spin machine.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:00 PM   #30

I think thats what separates the normal fans to those who cares about what athletes family members does. 99% of normal sports fan can care less about what the actions of sports stars parents. Im sure most people dont know or CARE who Maria's Sharapova's dad is or what he does or the names of Serena or vEnus or Hingis in her hey day or Jennifer Capriati or Lebrons or Carmelo or Adam Morrison or Greg Oden or Kobe or KG or Amare when they were coming out of HS. Note these are some of the biggest names in sports and all were under 18 when they became famous... yet no one were obsessing about their parents lol. And hint some of their parents were dealing with BIG problems such as drugs, criminal law and finances. But yeah I guess your right, if you dont care about BJ, you'r a "wiemaniac." :roll: