Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Karrie Webb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2006, 02:17 PM   #11
Forum Moderator

It's not about how Michelle or Asian-Americans or immigrants characterize themselves. The thing that bugs me is how he twists and spins the story about Michelle to suit the audience. One day she's a red, white and blue all American teenager who loves shopping and going to the mall, eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cheeseburgers and listening to Dave Matthews. The next day the only thing American about her is her passport, she only eats Korean food and watches Korean TV.

Does BJ think we're idiots?

He's done the same thing with her golf career: "She won't turn pro ever before going to college" (even got her parotting that in a school report apparently -- see the other thread). "She's going to Stanford to get a Ph.D" (or is it MBA, whatever). I'm sure Nike will love to have their $10 million investment sitting in a classroom for the next 8 years.... It's just twisting and falsehoods to get gullible fans to believe this bunk.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:27 PM   #12

In some Asian Countries you acquired citizenship by blood...meaning if your parents are Chinese you are still considered Chinese wherever you are born...While here in America, its by place of birth...meaning if you are born here...whatever the citizenship of your parents you are inborn American citizen. That means if your parents are Asians and you are born here in American you have dual citizenship until you reach the age of 18 in which you can choose your citizenship. I don't know about Korea or other Asian countries but this is true in the Philippines and China. Like if you are an American Missionary and you have children say in the Philipppines...your children don't have citizenship until they reach the age of 18 or unless they come here and petition early. If this is true in Korea, and Michelle is only 16, maybe she still have dual citizenship.

By the way...Boola an American? I always thought you are from England!

To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:31 PM   #13

Originally Posted by Blue
It's not about how Michelle or Asian-Americans or immigrants characterize themselves. The thing that bugs me is how he twists and spins the story about Michelle to suit the audience. One day she's a red, white and blue all American teenager who loves shopping and going to the mall, eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cheeseburgers and listening to Dave Matthews. The next day the only thing American about her is her passport, she only eats Korean food and watches Korean TV.

Does BJ think we're idiots?

He's done the same thing with her golf career: "She won't turn pro ever before going to college" (even got her parotting that in a school report apparently -- see the other thread). "She's going to Stanford to get a Ph.D" (or is it MBA, whatever). I'm sure Nike will love to have their $10 million investment sitting in a classroom for the next 8 years.... It's just twisting and falsehoods to get gullible fans to believe this bunk.
Maybe BJ thinks like Wiefan...they are like waffles! They flip-flap! :lol:

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
Old 04-21-2006, 02:41 PM   #14
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dangerbob
If this is true in Korea, and Michelle is only 16, maybe she still have dual citizenship.
Absolutely not. She was born in America. And as the gushing article about her in the other thread points out, she is an American citizen. Believe me, if she had dual citizenship (which is not given out just because your parents are immigrants), that would have been BJ's first line of defense. And, by the way, her parents are also American citizens. Not dual citizens. American citizens.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:43 PM   #15

Like I said Blue...I am sure about Korean Law...but I know it's true in the Philippines or China per explaination above. It may not be recognized her in America, but it's recognized in the country where citizenship is by blood. Of course like you said, BJ and his wife was probably already an American citizen when Michelle was born...so you are correct.

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
Old 04-21-2006, 03:51 PM   #16

Originally Posted by Blue
If this is true in Korea, and Michelle is only 16, maybe she still have dual citizenship.
Absolutely not. She was born in America. And as the gushing article about her in the other thread points out, she is an American citizen. Believe me, if she had dual citizenship (which is not given out just because your parents are immigrants), that would have been BJ's first line of defense. And, by the way, her parents are also American citizens. Not dual citizens. American citizens.
Hmmm.....true, she is an American citizen, but she probably holds dual nationality with Korea.

Do we know that Bo and BJ were naturalized citizens at the time Michelle was born in Hawaii? I don't know for sure that they are now....just taking Blue's word for it. And, it might not even matter if they were naturalized at the time...they may be considered by Korea to be Korean regardless.

I know there was an issue with some countries in the past, and I believe Korea was one of them, where dual citizen males were renouncing their citizenship before they were 18 in order to dodge mandatory military service.

Dual citizenship is very complicated.

In any case....Michelle is an American no matter what BJ allegedly said about it in Korea. She will, however, always be considered ethnically Korean much as Christina Kim is.

Interestingly, Christina Kim is also an American by birth, but played for Korea in one of those Pinx Cup matches against Japan. Seems like the Japanese should have argued that one! :?
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:03 PM   #17

Lojo, Maybe Christina should not have been allowed to play in the Solheim Cup if she had already played for Korea. Or did the Pinx Cup come after last years Solheim? In which case, it should have been the other way round. I am all for having your cake and eating it, but not at the expense of that darling European team
stevenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #18

Same as Dorothy Delasin...she was born in Texas with parents originally from the Philippines and she played with Jennifer Rosales last year for the Philippine Team in the World Cup in South Africa. But I don't think she has dual citizenship because after 18 she chose the U.S. citizenship.

But LPGA is not like the Olympics.

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
Old 04-21-2006, 04:16 PM   #19

Steven.... Christina didn't play in last year's Pinx Cup (which was when the Solheim was played).

I recall there was some hostility in Asia about allowing a Korean/American (or American/Korean) to play. Maybe she just decided to bow out of that event last year. I agree w/ you...if you're gonna play as an American for Solheim, then you shouldn't go elsewhere and play as something else.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #20

Same as Dorothy Delasin...she was born in Texas with parents originally from the Philippines and she played with Jennifer Rosales last year for the Philippine Team in the World Cup in South Africa. But I don't think she has dual citizenship because after 18 she chose the U.S. citizenship.

But LPGA is not like the Olympics.

DB.... Delasin didn't play with JRo in last year's World Cup. JRo begged off, claiming the travel was too tiring, etc., and when she did, her partner Larraneta of Spain (who was born in the Phillipines, but who is a Spanish national) also dropped out. That would have left the Phils. w/out a team. Delasin played with some other Philippine golfer...can't recall her name.