Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Karrie Webb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #11

Originally Posted by Putter View Post
Really? I've followed Webbie a lot at tournaments and didn't find her to be slower than anyone else. Maybe YOUR player messed her up. To be fair, I have seen her take a bit more time on some shots, but overall, she's way faster than some on tour. In my experience going to tournaments the only person you didn't want your player to be paired with was Redman - she backed off so many shots you'd have thought she was playing 18 to 1.
I am not saying she is the slowest. But the group I was following was Gulbis, Laura Davies, and Webb. Laura is one of the fastest players on tour, Natalie is pretty fast, and we put Web on a clock. She was taking up to 90 seconds on putts. As I said we thought about commenting to an official about how long she was taking but as Morgan found out, if the other players slow play puts you on the clock and then you have an issue you get punished. So we didn't want Natalie to get nailed because she had the wind change while she was addressing the ball, because Karrie was taking so darn long on her putts. Reading it, addressing the ball, reading it again, addressing the ball, reading it again. She is a great player so many of them went in, but at a certain point you say, 'after all that it darn well better get in the hole'. I thought Davies was going to kill her. If Laura set the pace of play, they would all need track shoes LOL.

Se Ri Pak is very slow as well.

Last edited by sjhnatfan; 12-17-2012 at 07:39 AM.
sjhnatfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
Forum Moderator

I've seen Karrie play in person a lot. She does have a tendency to play slow. She's not as slow as some, but she's not super fast either. Few players play as fast as Laura Davies.

Is it the fans' job to point out slow play to officials?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #13

Right, Blue. When did fans have the right to decide on reporting slow play? Never, as far as I know.

Were you timing from the right moment? Was this group out of position? You had a Rule Book with you so you could consult it? How about all those players who arrive at their ball, but then wait for the green to clear? Then they spend an lengthy period deciding on what club, the wind strength etc etc etc. Did you follow other groups and time those things?

I agree LD would have to be probably the fastest player out there, but Webbie's overall play is no worse than average. Guess you haven't watched any of the PGA to see how long they take and how they are rarely, if ever, put on the clock.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #14

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I've seen Karrie play in person a lot. She does have a tendency to play slow. She's not as slow as some, but she's not super fast either. Few players play as fast as Laura Davies.

Is it the fans' job to point out slow play to officials?
No it isn't the fans job, but it happens a lot. Note the several times a viewer at home as called in to report a rules violation. It happened to Inkster a year ago... something about her swinging a weighted club at the wrong time after a delay or something like that. So it does happen.

They were not out of position because people were playing slow all over the course. But When you start lining up your putt, and 90 seconds later you still haven't hit the ball, it is frustrating to watch. It shouldn't take 5 hours to play 18 holes in 3 somes with no weather issues. So Karrie was the one I was watching playing slow, but the group ahead of us wasn't running away from us either, or the group ahead of them, and we didn't have a ton of groups waiting for us. At one hole in particular, a par 3, our group finished up and and walked to the tee box for the part 3, and the group ahead of them still hadn't teed off because the group ahead of them were still on the green.

I would certainly not say that Davies SHOULD set the pace of play, just saying that by comparison, Karrie seemed even slower than normal. I don't think anyone plays faster than Laura.

And like I said, we didn't really want to point it out to an official, to take a look at it. But taking two and three reads of a putt before you hit it got really old after 18 holes.

As far as rarely being put on the clock goes.... I get it, but ask anyone who is associated with the game what one of the biggest issues are and they will say pace of play. They seem to ignore it but then complain about it after it happens.

Last edited by sjhnatfan; 12-17-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #15

They need to start working on pace of play back in high school and college. I was once at a Futures Tour event and so many players took forever to hit the ball, few of them in contention. Watching the grass grow was more interesting.

If they stopped the caddy from lining up the player for every shot it would reduce the time by quite a lot. I'm actually surprised the LPGA hasn't canvassed for the an 'designated' player to hit the shot given some caddies do everything but hit it.

People call in for clear Rules violations, which was the case with Inkster and others who had a Rule infraction. It would be very difficult for an armchair RO to call in for slow play as they usually don't show when a player arrives at the ball, or if they do, they often flick to another group altogether.

If you felt that strongly then you should have spoken with a RO, but, of course, that may have penalised 'your' favorite and that would never do. I would assume with such a group they may have had a RO with them, and I think it safe to say they would have been keeping an eye on times.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #16

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
They need to start working on pace of play back in high school and college. I was once at a Futures Tour event and so many players took forever to hit the ball, few of them in contention. Watching the grass grow was more interesting.

If they stopped the caddy from lining up the player for every shot it would reduce the time by quite a lot. I'm actually surprised the LPGA hasn't canvassed for the an 'designated' player to hit the shot given some caddies do everything but hit it.

People call in for clear Rules violations, which was the case with Inkster and others who had a Rule infraction. It would be very difficult for an armchair RO to call in for slow play as they usually don't show when a player arrives at the ball, or if they do, they often flick to another group altogether.

If you felt that strongly then you should have spoken with a RO, but, of course, that may have penalised 'your' favorite and that would never do. I would assume with such a group they may have had a RO with them, and I think it safe to say they would have been keeping an eye on times.
I have heard the 'lining up shot' argument before but two of the biggest at doing that are Natalie and Paula and I have never heard anyone accuse either of playing slow. So I am not sure it has as much of an impact on pace as people say.

As far as the potential to screw up my favorite player, you are right, the possible impact on our favorite was one of the reasons we didn't say anything. As you know, they will give players a lot of rope before they put them on the clock, but once they get on the clock, someone who is normally fast could get hit if she goes over even for a good reason. Most people feel, including Munoz herself, that she was playing far slower than Morgan, and Morgan had a wind change, switched clubs and got nailed. If you could only put ONE player on the clock, the other players would have more of a motivation for turn in the slow ones.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #17

Golf is slow at all levels. It's what's killing the game. People don't want to spend 6 of 7 hours of their day devoted to golf. 5 hours on the course and another coupla hours travel to and fro. No. Ridiculous.

One of the best "lines" I ever heard about slow play was from Christina Kim, tweeting about a certain player. She said..."She's slower than evolution."

Now THAT was funny!!
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #18

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Golf is slow at all levels. It's what's killing the game. People don't want to spend 6 of 7 hours of their day devoted to golf. 5 hours on the course and another coupla hours travel to and fro. No. Ridiculous.

One of the best "lines" I ever heard about slow play was from Christina Kim, tweeting about a certain player. She said..."She's slower than evolution."

Now THAT was funny!!
I didn't mean to start anything with Karrie either. Just making an observation that she was taking over a minute on every putt the two events I followed her at. She is a great player, and it is great that did enough for this kind of charity to be honored for it. Just standing in the heat for so long on a June day, I was thinking "hit the darn thing already would you!" alot.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #19
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by sjhnatfan View Post
I didn't mean to start anything with Karrie either. Just making an observation that she was taking over a minute on every putt the two events I followed her at. She is a great player, and it is great that did enough for this kind of charity to be honored for it. Just standing in the heat for so long on a June day, I was thinking "hit the darn thing already would you!" alot.
Of course you are trying to start something. You jumped into a thread from over a year ago about Karrie winning an award for charitable work, just to complain about what a slow player she is.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #20

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Of course you are trying to start something. You jumped into a thread from over a year ago about Karrie winning an award for charitable work, just to complain about what a slow player she is.
No, I really wasn't. I am new to the board and I was reviewing all of the specific players. This thread was the very first one on the Karrie Webb page, so it is the one I commented on. If it hadn't been bumped in a year, it must be that no one wrote anything about Karrie in over a year, because this was the most recent thread. Being new, all the threads are new to me, so I commented on the ones that interest me.