Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Karrie Webb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #1

Great Win for Webbie!

I'm really happy that Karrie has gotten off to such a great start this year. Putting well and that's really been a confidence booster for her.

Having been a big fan of Brittany Lincicome since her Am days, I was also pulling for her. Not a good finish w/ the bogey on #18. I was surprised she said she had no idea where she stood in the tourney at that point. Wow. What's with that? She said she thought Kerr was making a bunch of birdies and running away with it.

Better keep an eye on the scoreboards, Britt!
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #2

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Totally agree with you CNGlen.

The Phoenix crowds came out like they always do. A Hall of Famer won, someone the fans like and know, who wasn't dragged into the tournament kicking and screaming, playing for a good cause (half to Christopher Reeve Foundation, half to Japan earthquake relief). They hit a home run.

The only failure was the money. If RRD is such a great company, they should be able to come up with an extra $1 million by next year to support charity and pay out a real purse.
The above quote from Blue is from another thread but it was the first part of the second sentence that struck me.

It makes me think...we hear all the time (from the press) about the tour needing an American star to save the tour in the USA...Creamer, Wie, etc...but might the rebirth of Webbie...somebody the fans know and like...be just as good...maybe better?

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 03-21-2011 at 08:52 AM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Forum Moderator

The argument that the tour needs an American star never has made sense because the argument often goes something like this:

"What the LPGA Tour needs is an American star like they had with Annika or Lorena..."

Um, right.

What they mean is they need a player who wins a lot and is approachable and who, like it or not, speaks English and relates to the American fans in that way.

Karrie's been playing, living and winning in the US for long enough that she's a virtual American in the eyes of US fans, just like Annika was. As I pointed out last week, people always think she's older than she is. She's not 22 but she's in Cristie Kerr's generation, not Juli Inkster's. She won Rookie of the Year during Juli's 13th season on the LPGA so she might have a lot of good years left if she stays interested and healthy.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #4

And once again you made Rusty and Heddwynn and people from down under proud!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Congratulations Karrie. Great winning streak.
Is she in a great comeback or the new gals are not good enough as we all thought?
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #6

Smile

It brings a smile to my face to see how much Webbie is enjoying the moment these days!

Its been a pleasure to witness Karrie's growth both as a player and a person throughout her career.

Kudos to Webbie, and looking forward to whatever the future holds.
wayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
Donating Member

When you are hot - take advantage.

If you look at the play of the top players in an event, vs the field, they are playing much much better than the field. And then compare to their own stats, again they are having a statistical anomaly. The exception was Tiger when he was on his tare, he played nearly the same every week and only lost when someone else had their best play of their career.

At least this is a theory. I should probably look up her recent stats vs historical.

But one reason I put here and Yani on my pick list, they were both on a roll.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #8

Rock Solid!

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
Old 03-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #9

Back up to #8...Cristie into #3...Mindy Kim taking a 58 point jump! But Karrie a #8...gotta feel like the way she is playing...top 5 is not far off...

Rolex Rankings 3/21/2011: Karrie Webb Creaping Up Top 10, Mindy Kim Jumps 58 Spots Fairways And Forehands

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/