Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Karrie Webb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 07:32 AM   #1

Durdin impresses, but Webb still in game

TAMIE DURDIN reckons if she had a dollar for each time she's been told she is an underachiever, she wouldn't have to play golf. But today she has the chance to prove she can be a winner.

The 30-year-old Queenslander finds herself atop the leaderboard in the $600,000 Ladies Masters - shortened to 54 holes - at Royal Pines, in company with Karrie Webb, the defending champion who is seeking a seventh Masters title, and Korean Hyun Ju Shin heading into today's final round.

Webb proved herself a true champion yesterday, saving par on several occasions with great up-and-downs. At the final hole, rated the toughest on the course, she nailed a four-metre birdie putt for an eight-under tally to join Durdin and Shin.

Webb later said of Durdin: "Tamie is the biggest underachiever in Australian golf. She has more talent in her little toe than 90 per cent of the field this week."

Add another dollar.

"I was hot and cold," Webb said of her own round. "I didn't drive it very well, but this is a course you can get away with it. Obviously, I'm going to have to shoot a low number tomorrow to win. You can't play conservatively."

Durdin's round of 67 contained seven birdies and a double-bogey at the fourth, where her foot slipped on the tee, causing her to block the ball into an unplayable lie. But she struck back with four birdies in the next five holes.

In Japan late last year, Durdin was on a train back to Tokyo with Webb, Laura Davies and others after a tournament. She'd made up her mind she was coming home to Australia, as she'd had enough golf for the year.

Davies asked if she was playing the Itoen event the coming week, and Durdin replied: "No, I'm pulling out."

"Why?" demanded Davies. "It's a driver's paradise. But, it's going to be pretty easy without you there, you're my only competition next week."

The Englishwoman then told Durdin she had the best swing in golf, that she should hit the driver on every hole and that she should "get her arse" to the tournament.

She didn't miss with that serve. Durdin played and finished equal sixth, beating Davies home.

"It got my competitive juices flowing, she really gave it to me," Durdin said. "She plays the way I'd love to play, she plays with very little fear and doesn't dwell on the outcome."

Twelve months ago, she shot identical rounds to those of the past two days, though they were transposed to 67-69. Then, she closed with 74-73 to finish tied 22nd behind Webb.

It's a theme which almost drives her coach, Ian Triggs, to distraction.

"I just wish I knew [why]," she says. "I've had trust and belief issues before and failed, obviously, at the finish line. It's really a matter of time. I know that's an old cliche.

"It is really a matter of me trusting what I'm doing. I'm trying to stay calm and in the moment and not get frustrated, hitting my own shots and not worrying about what others are doing.

"It's frustrating. I know in terms of ball striking I'm among the top five in the world, or that's what people tell me. I've got to pretty much put myself on the line and say, 'C'mon, you can hit this shot'."

Shin is twice a winner on the Japanese Tour. Surprisingly, her only two bogeys yesterday were on par threes, one of which she three-putted.
Source: The Sun-Herald
hjhjh220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:16 PM   #2

hjhjhj...... I would like to know what your signature says. It appears to be Arabic...is it?

I clicked on the signature link and it took me to a website, but no idea what it is.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote