Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #41

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
That's one incongruous coupling...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
More incongruous...Vika and Redfoo or Andre Agassi and Barbra Streisand back in the day? Tennis players and musicians seems to be a thing. John McEnroe and Patty Smyth. Serena Williams briefly with rapper Common. Maria Sharapova very briefly with Adam Levine of Maroon 5. Anna Kournikova and Enrique Iglesias.

Any unusual LPGA "pairings" over the years?

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #42

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
More incongruous...Vika and Redfoo or Andre Agassi and Barbra Streisand back in the day? Tennis players and musicians seems to be a thing. John McEnroe and Patty Smyth. Serena Williams briefly with rapper Common. Maria Sharapova very briefly with Adam Levine of Maroon 5. Anna Kournikova and Enrique Iglesias.

Any unusual LPGA "pairings" over the years?
Andre and Barbra. I mean this was a Barbra that was still touring, had done Yentl not too long before then and Andre was rebel poster boy for tennis, bleached pony tail, stonewashed denim etc.

Also, there was a rumor Maria Sharapova dated Mexican singer Ari Borovoy back in the day around the time when Maria first launched her perfume.
fetucinialfokcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:38 PM   #43

Originally Posted by fetucinialfokcu View Post
Andre and Barbra. I mean this was a Barbra that was still touring, had done Yentl not too long before then and Andre was rebel poster boy for tennis, bleached pony tail, stonewashed denim etc.

Also, there was a rumor Maria Sharapova dated Mexican singer Ari Borovoy back in the day around the time when Maria first launched her perfume.
Oddly, Masha and Vika aren't the most beloved players in the locker room, but they seem like very open-minded, funny pranksters off the court.

from my blog: 2014 BNP Paribas Open At Indian Wells Releases Event Commercial, But Will Serena Williams Finally End Her Absence From Event? | Fairways and Forehands

Serena Williams

“I wish they would come back. I wish they would forgive and just move on, but I was there that day, and it was terrible. So I understand why they don’t, but I wish.” – Billie Jean King

With a little over a month to go before one of the “mini-Majors” begins, the 2014 BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells, the organizers have released a promotional video for the tournament. The minute long clip features the women’s champion Maria Sharapova near the end.

Richard Williams and Venus Williams

But the truth is, very few people are talking about Masha or defending men’s champion Rafael Nadal. The buzz in the tennis world concerns whether Serena Williams will end her boycott of Indian Wells and participate this year. She submitted her name for the entry list, leaving open the real possibility that she could return to the desert for the first time since she, her father and her sister Venus Williams were booed, heckled and verbally assaulted with racist language by the crowd during Serena’s final against a then-17 year old Kim Clijsters. The crowd was upset over Venus pulling out of a much anticipated semifinal with her sister with an injury. Accusations of Richard Williams orchestrating the entire scenario were thrown around with absolutely no evidence (and, in my opinion, no logic). Since that ugly incident, the Williams Sisters have skipped Indian Wells every year.

It’s being reported that Serena was inspired to forgive by watching the film, Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom. If she plays, and I do hope she does play, I wish for nothing but a positive reception from the crowd. Serena’s place in the tennis world has grown immensely from that day. People forget that Indian Wells wasn’t the only place that racist heckling is said to have occurred during a Williams sister match. You don’t hear that nowadays, but earlier in their careers not everybody was welcoming of Venus and Serena. Today, they are venerated American tennis icons. If Serena plays Indian Wells, she should be treated as such. If there are still those who wish to hold their applause, so be it…as long as they hold their taunts and venom as well.

---Bruce Lee

Old 01-28-2014, 11:57 PM   #44

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
Oddly, Masha and Vika aren't the most beloved players in the locker room, but they seem like very open-minded, funny pranksters off the court.

from my blog: 2014 BNP Paribas Open At Indian Wells Releases Event Commercial, But Will Serena Williams Finally End Her Absence From Event? | Fairways and Forehands

Serena Williams

“I wish they would come back. I wish they would forgive and just move on, but I was there that day, and it was terrible. So I understand why they don’t, but I wish.” – Billie Jean King

With a little over a month to go before one of the “mini-Majors” begins, the 2014 BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells, the organizers have released a promotional video for the tournament. The minute long clip features the women’s champion Maria Sharapova near the end.

Richard Williams and Venus Williams

But the truth is, very few people are talking about Masha or defending men’s champion Rafael Nadal. The buzz in the tennis world concerns whether Serena Williams will end her boycott of Indian Wells and participate this year. She submitted her name for the entry list, leaving open the real possibility that she could return to the desert for the first time since she, her father and her sister Venus Williams were booed, heckled and verbally assaulted with racist language by the crowd during Serena’s final against a then-17 year old Kim Clijsters. The crowd was upset over Venus pulling out of a much anticipated semifinal with her sister with an injury. Accusations of Richard Williams orchestrating the entire scenario were thrown around with absolutely no evidence (and, in my opinion, no logic). Since that ugly incident, the Williams Sisters have skipped Indian Wells every year.

It’s being reported that Serena was inspired to forgive by watching the film, Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom. If she plays, and I do hope she does play, I wish for nothing but a positive reception from the crowd. Serena’s place in the tennis world has grown immensely from that day. People forget that Indian Wells wasn’t the only place that racist heckling is said to have occurred during a Williams sister match. You don’t hear that nowadays, but earlier in their careers not everybody was welcoming of Venus and Serena. Today, they are venerated American tennis icons. If Serena plays Indian Wells, she should be treated as such. If there are still those who wish to hold their applause, so be it…as long as they hold their taunts and venom as well.
I was 14 when that all happened and in my naieve 14 year old mind Serena was getting what she deserved. If as a teenager she got through that what's it being down 5-0, 40 love in the third set? Now, as I near 30 I realize that behavior from the crowd was inexcusable. I liked Elena Dementieva but she really fueled the fire with her comments. That experience must have been traumatic.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #45

Originally Posted by fetucinialfokcu View Post
I was 14 when that all happened and in my naieve 14 year old mind Serena was getting what she deserved. If as a teenager she got through that what's it being down 5-0, 40 love in the third set? Now, as I near 30 I realize that behavior from the crowd was inexcusable. I liked Elena Dementieva but she really fueled the fire with her comments. That experience must have been traumatic.
...and to be honest, while I pretty much like everybody on the WTA and LPGA, Serena is not among my top favorites...but fair is fair...I hope she plays Indian Wells and I hope the crowd is at least polite...

more pics and video on my blog: WTA Wrap-Up 2.2.2014; Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova Wins Open GDF Suez, Ekaterina Makarova Wins PTT Pattaya Open | Fairways and Forehands

Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, 2014 Open GDF Suez champion

Anaastasia Pavlyuchenkova won the biggest title of her career, her first Premier championship, capturing the 2014 Open GDF Suez in Paris, France. To do so, she had to defeat four seeded players in a row (Carla Suarez Navarro, Angelique Kerber, Maria Sharapova and Sara Errani), including 3 Top 10 ranked players (Kerber, Sharapova and Errani). It was a well earned champion’s trophy, indeed. Early on in the final it looked like it might not happen for her. Pavlyuchenkova came out strong, going up 3-1, but then lost 7 games in a row as finalist Sara Errani came storming back. Finding herself down 3-6 0-2 and facing a game point against her for a possible 0-3 second set deficit, Anastasia took her game to another level in the nick of time. She responded with her own 7 game win streak for a 3-6 6-2 1-0 lead. But Errani was not done. The Italian star reeled off a quick 3 games to put Pavlyuchenkova down 1-3 in the final set. Fittingly for such a streaky match, Anastasia answered by winning the final 5 games of the match to finally prevail, 3-6 6-2 6-3.

The win gives Anastasia her 6th WTA singles title. She made 4 singles finals last year (2013), winning 2. However, 2014 saw her get off to a rocky start with 2nd, 1st and 3rd round losses in her previous 3 events respectively. Hopefully, this tournament will get her back on track, particularly when one considers the level of competition she defeated. At only 22 years old, Pavyluchenkova doesn’t always get highlighted as one of the potential young stars on tour. If she keeps playing as she did this week in Paris, she will.

Maria Sharapova

I give Anastasia credit for taking out the top seed, Maria Sharapova, in the semifinals. However, it must be noted that Masha had a horrible serving day, particularly in the last set. How bad did it get? She had a terrible first serve percentage of 48 percent in the 3rd set. It was a final set that saw Sharapova double fault 5 times, including on back to back points to end the match. I don’t want to say I’m ready to worry about Masha’s game yet. After all, she’s coming off an injury last year. A loss to Serena Williams in the semis of Brisbane is understandable. A loss to Dominika Cibulkova in the round of 16 at the Australian Open isn’t a tragedy either. Domi plays Masha tough, plus she reached the final going through Agnieszka Radwanska as well. A semifinal loss to Pavlyuchenkova does raise an eyebrow. I can write it off a bit as Masha just having one of those crazy service yip days…and hopefully not the resurfacing of shoulder problems.

Ekaterina Makarova, 2014 PTT Pattaya Open champion

While Maria Sharapova’s serve was letting her down in Paris, 2014 PTT Pattaya Open finalists Ekaterina Makarova and Karolina Pliskova were putting on a serving clinic. There was only 1 service break game in the match, which went to the winner, Makarova, in the 8th game of the first set to go up 5-3. Katya would go on to close out a tough match 6-3 7-6 (9-7). This was a razor thin match that could have gone either way. Pliskova twice had set point in the tiebreak, but couldn’t convert. It is Makarova’s 2nd WTA singles title. It will be interesting to see where Karolina goes from here. The 21-year old was the girls junior winner of the Australian Open in 2010. On the WTA, she won her first event last year at the 2013 Malaysian Open. She also won a doubles title last year at the 2013 Generali Ladies Linz. She won partnering with her sister, Kristyna Pliskova. You never know if a young talent will keep the great play going, become a journeywoman or fade away. We’ll see which one Karolina will do.

Ekaterina Makarova

Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova

Sara Errani

Karolina Pliskova

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 02-02-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #46

from my blog: Kim Clijsters and Ana Ivanovic One-On-One Interview | Fairways and Forehands

Kim Clijsters 2011 Australian Open winner’s photocall

With the Australian Open recently crowning a new champion in Li Na, I can’t help but think back to the player who defeated Li Na three years ago in the final, Kim Clijsters. As an all-time favorite of mine, Kim is second only to Monica Seles. I loved her game on court, her power, speed and flexibility. That game carried Clijsters to #1 in singles and doubles. She is a 41-time winner, including 4 Majors, in singles. She also has 11 doubles victories, including 2 Majors. Her awards are numerous as well; 2-time Player of the Year, 2-time Comeback Player of the Year, 3-time Player Service Award, 8-time winner of the Karen Krantzcke Sportsmanship Award, 1999 Newcomer of the Year and 2006 Humanitarian of the Year. Having only been retired since the end of the US Open in 2012, she hasn’t yet been away long enough to be voted into the Hall of Fame. When she is eligible, she’s a lock for Newport.

Kim Clijsters and Li Na, my two favorite players since Monica Seles, at the 2011 Australian Open

At the 2013 Kim Clijsters Invitational, an off-season exhibition in Antwerp, Belgium last December, Ana Ivanovic sat down with Kim to talk to one another about life on and off the tennis court. The two former #1s share a friendship as well as perspectives about the game and what is important beyond the court. It’s always a joy to hear from Kim, even in retirement. She now is a mother of two, a daughter (Jada) and son (Jack). Jada will be 6 on February 24th, while Jack is new to the world, born just a few months ago on September 18, 2013.

Kim Clijsters and daughter, Jada, with 2010 US Open trophy

---Bruce Lee

Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #47

Speaking of Monica, what is she up to these days? I certainly thought sge'd be more visible after retirement than say, Steffi and out of that generation Steffi,Arantxa, Conchita etc. Monica comes out and then goea back in hiding. She was also my favorite. Her and Hingis got me into tennis after their 1997 Family Circle Cup Final.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #48

She wrote a memoir, Getting A Grip, that was fairly well received. Now she has started a series of fiction books based around a character named Maya who is a down to earth girl who gets accepted into an elite tennis academy. The series is called The Academy, with so far two books, The Academy: Game On and The Academy: Love Match

The Academy: Love Match by Monica Seles ? Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

...heard she was dating some billionaire dude too...but I don't know if that's still a thing...

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 02-04-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #49

more pics on my blog: Sochi Olympic Special Correspondent and Ambassador Maria Sharapova Visits Childhood Tennis Court, Talks Up Home Town and Reveals Who She’d Root For In A Potential Russia vs USA Olympic Hockey Final | Fairways and Forehands

Maria Sharapova at her childhood tennis court in Sochi, Russia

She speaks perfectly fluent American English with no accent and seems very Americanized in some ways, but make no mistake about it…Maria Sharapova is a Russian woman to her core. She was her country’s flag bearer during the Opening Ceremony at the 2012 London Summer Olympics. She is the first woman given the honor of being the Russian flag bearer at the Olympics. Masha was among the delegation that lobbied for Sochi being awarded the 2014 Winter Games. Now that those Games are a reality, she will serve as a special correspondent for NBC, along with being an ambassador for her childhood home of Sochi. Sharapova was born in Nyagan, a town in western Siberia. When she was 2, her family moved to Sochi, a resort city along the Black Sea. She describes Sochi as a place where you can swim in the Black Sea and then go up into the mountains to ski on the same day.

Maria Sharapova with girls from the Kafelnikov Tennis Academy at her hometown courts at Riviera Park Egorova

Nike stepped in to refurbish the courts in Sharapova’s honor. Not surprisingly, she received a hero’s welcome upon her return. Although she came to the United States at a very early age, her heart belongs to Sochi, where she still has family. Unfortunately, she won’t be able to stay the whole two weeks of the Olympics, as she has to get back to training for her next event.

Maria Sharapova at Samsung Galaxy Studio

Masha is also a savvy businesswoman, promoting her own Sugarpova candy line and Porsche while in Sochi. Tying into the Winter Olympics, Samsung is one of the big sponsors of the Games. Every athlete in the Olympics will receive a free Samsung Galaxy Note 3 smartphone. It just so happens that Masha is a global ambassador for Samsung, showing up at the newly opened Samsung Galaxy Studio in Sochi. On a personal note, I don’t mean to shill for anybody on my blog, but I will say that I have owned both the Samsung Galaxy Note and the Galaxy Note 2. I will be upgrading soon to the Note 3. It’s a terrific product line. Everybody has their own preferences in a phone, so I don’t mean to say mine are any better…just thought I’d give the Samsung Galaxy Note line a thumbs up from personal experience.

Masha with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

But more important than my tastes in phones is that the interviewer here actually asked Masha some serious questions, including questions surrounding safety at the games and treatment of the LGBT community in Russia. I know there are those that wish the Olympics to be separate from politics, but I think that’s a bit quixotic. The Olympics have had a long history of being enmeshed with politics. On a lighter note, Masha is also asked who she’d root for in a potential Russia vs USA hockey gold medal game. It seems nothing she says or does convinces people that her fealty is to her homeland.

---Bruce Lee

Old 02-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #50

I hope I don't sound vulgar but Masha needs some pics a la Ana Ivanovic.