Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
bangkokbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,521
Wta 2012

I thought I'd make a thread to share my fandom of the WTA side of tennis (I could do one for the ATP too, but I think the WTA is of more interest here). This thread will be for non-Major tournaments and various player stories.

more pics on my blog: Victoria Azarenka Wins 2012 Qatar Total Open, Pushes Season Record To 17-0 Fairways and Forehands



There was a video done by tennis manufacturer Wilson during the 2012 Australian Open where they showed Victoria Azarenka in her hotel suite. She went to her refrigerator and pulled out a package of gluten-free wraps. In a nod to Novak Djokovic, she says, “trying to be like Djokovic.” She was kidding…I think…but don’t look now, she’s off to a perfect start through her first three tournaments in 2012, mirroring Nole’s early season perfection in 2011. She’s a long way from his 43 match winning streak, but 17-0 and counting is as good as she can do.





In her first tournament as world #1, Vika dominated Samantha Stosur, the reigning US Open champion, 6-1 6-2 to win the 2012 Qatar Total Open. As one-sided as that scoreline is, it wasn’t even that close. What was amazing is the way Vika pushed Samantha all over the court, yet kept her unforced errors at a minimum. It was Samantha who piled up the errors as she was forced to find holes in Vika’s defense. After winning the first game of the first set, Samantha was steamrolled in 9 straight games, giving Vika a 6-1 3-0 advantage before she knew what hit her. Somebody will come along and end this streak, maybe Petra Kvitova in the upcoming Dubai event. However, if Vika continues to play like this, we could be looking at an all-time great type of year.



Singles – Final
(1) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. (3) Samantha Stosur (AUS) 61 62





__________________
Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 333
Azarenka didn't just win matches, she demolished her oppositions.
18majors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
bangkokbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,521
Originally Posted by 18majors View Post
Azarenka didn't just win matches, she demolished her oppositions.
Right now, for anybody...except maybe Petra Kvitova on a great day...to beat Vika, her level will have to come down...she has the low error game of Caroline Wozniacki combined with the power game of Kim Clijsters at the moment...that's impressive...and of course, it's sports...anything can happen...she could go out and lay an egg in her next match...but most likely it will take a great player playing a great match to end Vika's winning streak...
__________________
Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 333
Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
Right now, for anybody...except maybe Petra Kvitova on a great day...to beat Vika, her level will have to come down...she has the low error game of Caroline Wozniacki combined with the power game of Kim Clijsters at the moment...that's impressive...and of course, it's sports...anything can happen...she could go out and lay an egg in her next match...but most likely it will take a great player playing a great match to end Vika's winning streak...
Kvitova withdrew from Dubai; someone else will need to step up and challenge Azarenka.

Azarenka's 2012 looks a lot like Djokovic's 2011. ATP is fortunate that Federer stepped up and beat Djokovic at RO's SF.
18majors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
bangkokbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,521
Originally Posted by 18majors View Post
Kvitova withdrew from Dubai; someone else will need to step up and challenge Azarenka.

Azarenka's 2012 looks a lot like Djokovic's 2011. ATP is fortunate that Federer stepped up and beat Djokovic at RO's SF.
I'm not sure the ATP was fortunate Nole lost in the Roland Garros semis. He had Nadal's number all last year. I think he would have beaten Rafa in the final had he gotten past R-Fed. But more than that, Djokovic's unbeaten streak made the mainstream sports press pay attention to him in a way that they wouldn't have had he just been having a good year. It's gave him, and the ATP, some buzz around the rise of a new #1 not named Nadal or Federer, who maybe not all mainstream sports fans were familiar with.

Also, imagine if Djokovic had won Roland Garros and entered the US Open with a chance to be the first man since Rod Laver to win the Grand Slam. The media attention would have been tremendous for tennis.
__________________
Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 02-21-2012 at 06:43 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
bangkokbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,521
from my blog: Maria Sharapova, Caroline Wozniacki, Andy Roddick and Roger Federer Join For BNP Paribas Showdown At Madison Square Garden Fairways and Forehands



Some of the biggest stars in tennis will come out for the 2012 BNP Paribas Showdown at Madison Square Garden on March 5th, 2012. 3-time Major winner Maria Sharapova will take on another former #1, Caroline Wozniacki. 16-time Major winner Roger Federer matches up with 2003 US Open winner Andy Roddick. In addition, if you enter the code YALE when buying tickets, you will receive a free Tennis Night In America T-shirt with every ticket purchased. For tickets, please click on the poster above. I have it hotlinked to the MSG ticket site.

__________________
Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 333
Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
from my blog: Maria Sharapova, Caroline Wozniacki, Andy Roddick and Roger Federer Join For BNP Paribas Showdown At Madison Square Garden Fairways and Forehands



Some of the biggest stars in tennis will come out for the 2012 BNP Paribas Showdown at Madison Square Garden on March 5th, 2012. 3-time Major winner Maria Sharapova will take on another former #1, Caroline Wozniacki. 16-time Major winner Roger Federer matches up with 2003 US Open winner Andy Roddick. In addition, if you enter the code YALE when buying tickets, you will receive a free Tennis Night In America T-shirt with every ticket purchased. For tickets, please click on the poster above. I have it hotlinked to the MSG ticket site.


Great Maria will play in my backyard in Manhattan!
18majors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
bangkokbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,521
Originally Posted by 18majors View Post
Great Maria will play in my backyard in Manhattan!
What if the PGA and LPGA got together for some events like this? Would it sell? Let's say a series of team events. OK, here I go with one of my crazy ideas.

We can call it, the "Golf Team Showdown." Here's how it works. 8 Teams. OK, I'm going to go into fantasy land and pick eight teams...knowing that you might not be able to get everybody I picked. Maybe the LPGA ones...I'm sure they'd have discussions on how important it would be for the exposure.

Tiger Woods/Michelle Wie
Luke Donald/Yani Tseng
Rory McIroy/Paula Creamer
Bubba Watson/Brittany Lincicome
Adam Scott/Sandra Gal
Keegan Bradley/Lexi Thompson
KJ Choi/Se Ri Pak
Ryo Ishikawa/Ai Miyazato

Of course, there's money involved...so you would need to find a sponsor. But even if you can't get all the PGA players I named in my fantasy line-up, if the PGA is in on this, I think you could find the sponsors. Have round robin match-ups throughout the year. Actually, scratch that. Take a week and play the tournament over four days. Make two halves of a draw and have four times on each side. First three days of double elimination competition to determine the winner on each side and the last day have the championship. I know they've had things like this before. To me, and I hate to say this, you have to get the the right players. I don't mean this to be insult anybody...but not just any players will work for this.
__________________
Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 02-21-2012 at 06:46 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 333
Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
What if the PGA and LPGA got together for some events like this? Would it sell? Let's say a series of team events. OK, here I go with one of my crazy ideas.

We can call it, the "Golf Team Showdown." Here's how it works. 8 Teams. OK, I'm going to go into fantasy land and pick eight teams...knowing that you might not be able to get everybody I picked. Maybe the LPGA ones...I'm sure they'd have discussions on how important it would be for the exposure.

Tiger Woods/Michelle Wie
Luke Donald/Yani Tseng
Rory McIroy/Paula Creamer
Bubba Watson/Brittany Lincicome
Adam Scott/Sandra Gal
Keegan Bradley/Lexi Thompson
KJ Choi/Se Ri Pak
Ryo Ishikawa/Ai Miyazato

Of course, there's money involved...so you would need to find a sponsor. But even if you can't get all the PGA players I named in my fantasy line-up, if the PGA is in on this, I think you could find the players. Have round robin match-ups throughout the year. Actually, scratch that. Take a week and play the tournament over four days. Make two halves of a draw and have four times on each side. First three days of double elimination competition to determine the winner on each side and the last day have the championship. I know they've had things like this before. To me, and I hate to say this, you have to get the the right players. I don't mean this to be insult anybody...but not just any players will work for this.

I would put US$10,000.00 down on the team of Bradley/Thompson. It will grow to a million bucks in 10 years.

Seriously, tennis and golf are very different. The beauty of tennis is that they can hold an event in the heart of Manhattan and the A-listers can drop in for a night out.
18majors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
bangkokbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,521
Originally Posted by 18majors View Post
I would put US$10,000.00 down on the team of Bradley/Thompson. It will grow to a million bucks in 10 years.

Seriously, tennis and golf are very different. The beauty of tennis is that they can hold an event in the heart of Manhattan and the A-listers can drop in for a night out.

True...I am probably in fantasy land on this...but money can change everything, if a sponsor put up a guaranteed appearance fee plus extra for the two final teams.

Of course, it would depend on the course they played, but I am going for the upset with the Bubba/Brittany team...

...I tried to make each team have a theme...Team Nike (Woods/Wie), Team #1 (Donald/Tseng), Team US Open (McIroy/Creamer)...Team Photogenic (Scott/Gal)...Team Young Guns (Bradley/Lexi)...Team Korea (Choi/Pak)...Team Japan (Ishikawa/Miyazato)...and finally, the team that seems the coolest to just hang out with (Bubba/Brittany)...
__________________
Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 02-22-2012 at 01:01 AM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2 PL2

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!