Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #11

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
True...I am probably in fantasy land on this...but money can everything, if a sponsor put up a guaranteed appearance fee plus extra for the two final teams.

Of course, it would depend on the course they played, but I am going for the upset with the Bubba/Brittany team...

...I tried to make each team have a theme...Team Nike (Woods/Wie), Team #1 (Donald/Tseng), Team US Open (McIroy/Creamer)...Team Photogenic (Scott/Gal)...Team Young Guns (Bradley/Lexi)...Team Korea (Choi/Pak)...Team Japan (Ishikawa/Miyazato)...and finally, the team that seems the coolest to just hang out with (Bubba/Brittany)...
Yes, I thought you did a great job on your fantasy pairings.

Golf is entering a new golden age with McIlroy's and Bradley's major wins and maiden wins by Ryu, Lexi, Lydia and Jessica.

PGA, in my opinion, has always been bigger than ATP because of Tiger and because it's a sport Americans excel on the world stage. LPGA hasn't been as lucky but hopefully Lexi, Jessica and Stacy can change that.
18majors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #12

from my blog: After Loss At 2012 Dubai Tennis Championships, Is It Time To Worry About Caroline Wozniacki? Fairways and Forehands

It feels like I’ve seen this movie before. Maybe more than once. Dinara Safina and Jelena Jankovic once reigned as world #1 on the WTA computer. Neither won Majors, and were criticized for not doing so, before watching their games slip. Jelena is out of the top 10. Dinara is almost out of the sport. The lastest former #1 without a Major (so far) is Caroline Wozniacki. But at this point, I am beginning to wonder if we shouldn’t worry about whether she ever wins a Major and worry if she is heading on a path that is leading her from being one of the 3 of 4 elite players in the world to another good, but not dominant, player.

It was set up for her to defend her title at Dubai 2012. Her top two challengers, 2011 Player of the Year Petra Kvitova and world #1 Victoria Azarenka pulled out with injuries. Instead, she lost to Julia Goerges for the third straight time. Georges would go on to fall in the final to Agnieszka Radwanska, who captured her 8th WTA title. Since winning New Haven last year, Caroline has not won another event. She hasn’t even made a final. Her match against Julia was only her 2nd semifinal appearance in that time. Wozniacki has a lot of points to defend from early last year. If she can’t even manage semifinal appearances, forget about losing the #1 ranking…which she already has. She might be heading out of the top 5 or farther.

She has become involved in a tit-for-tat with the Martinas (Hingis and Navrativola). Hingis suggested changes she should make in her game while Navratilova gave the damning assessment that Caroline didn’t deserve to be #1 and was only so for as long as she was due to better players being in and out of the game (Serena, Clijsters) and more dominant players not yet fully developed (Azarenka, Kvitova). I understand Caroline being upset at hearing that. She has put in years of hard work to get where she is. She can’t control who the competition is or who plays when. I completely feel why she would be upset with Navratilova. On the other hand, as I said last year when Roger Federer became upset with Martina for saying he would never again reach #1, Navratilova’s job is to comment and give her opinions. Her job is not to stroke the egos of current players. She did her job. And concerning Caroline, Martina said what many have said. Maybe she should have said so with different phraseology (i.e., Caroline’s #1 ranking was aided by the lack of dominant players during her reign) instead of saying she didn’t deserve her ranking.

Look, I am a fan of Caroline. But she needs to hire a coach (or maybe rehire a coach) and let him do his job in tweaking her game to add some attack. Safe worked for the last two years in terms of maintaining her #1 ranking. She and her father could deflect criticisms about not winning a Major by saying they were more proud of being #1 (whether they meant it or not). Now, she doesn’t have the #1 ranking and I don’t see her challenging for it without some changes in her game. I don’t mean a total overhaul. However, she needs to be more aggressive at times. Not all of the time. Just sometimes. She can do it. I’ve seen her many times step into shots and really take some rips, but then retreat back into her safety first style. She has the size and strength to add some more attack in her shots. If she doesn’t…if she and her father stubbornly decide they’ve done it their way for years and will continue to do it their way, then I think they are squandering a chance to have her reach her full potential…a potential that would exceed even what she did as world #1.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #13

Who are better than Caroline, Vika, Petra and Maria for sure; Serena, Clijsters and Na Li if they are healthy to play. She is better than Stosur, Radwanska and Bartoli if she plays her normal solid but unspetacular games.

Caroline is a top 5 player but she hasn't been playing like one since 2011 Indian Wells.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #14

Maybe she'd rather be with Rory???

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #15

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Maybe she'd rather be with Rory???

Viva Annika

May be you're right. Ironically, Ana Ivanovic hasn't been the same player since she started to date Adam Scott back in 2008.

On the other hand, boy friends or not, Vika, Petra and Maria continue to be major forces on tennis courts.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #16

I actually think you guys are on to something. While it is true that other players have boyfriends, before Caroline hooked up with Rory, she was going around to other men's players being VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY "friendly"...she was a bit like a groupie in some ways...now, on the one hand it was a little cute...nothing overtly sexual...plus, she's very friendly to begin with...but something about the way she is with guys seems like she's burning a lot of energy and focus...but that's just my opinion watching...speaking of her friendliness...

from my blog: Victoria Azarenka, Caroline Wozniacki Talk About Their Friendship Fairways and Forehands

The current and former world #1 women’s tennis players are not only fierce competitors on the court, but also good friends off the court. Actually, it doesn’t surprise me that Sunshine is friends with anybody. She seems to be one of the most well-liked players on tour since Kim Clijsters. As for Vika, she seems nice too, but I certainly don’t expect to see any videos of her hugging Agnieszka Radwanska anytime soon.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #17

Bobby, did any of HAB's affect any LPGA players in any big ways? Wonder if will affect either Lexi or Jessica soon?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #18

Rory won and will play WGC Match final this afternoon with Hunter Mahan. Rory will capture world's No. 1 ranking if he wins.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #19

The golf swings by both Rory McIlroy and Lee Westwood are so pure, they're the swings to die for.

Last edited by 18majors; 02-26-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #20

We can expect many a good duels between Keegan Bradley and Rory McIlroy if both of them stay on top of their games in the next ten years.