Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #101

My favorite WTA player of All Time is Monica Seles. My favorite current player is Kim Clijsters. The player I wish I was old enough to have seen live is Maureen "Little Mo" Connolly.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #102

BKB
I like Monica too...kinda think she's hot.
From the old timers also like Tracy Austin...she's matured quite well.

Did you know a Cdn...Carling Bassett?...she was a looker.

Obviously, recent pros, I like Anna K and Ana I.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #103

Seles is one of the most amazing athletes of all time. We'll never know how many GS titles she would have won if she wasn't stabbed in 1993 when she was 19. One thing is sure, she would have won more than 9 and Steffi Graf would have won less than 22.

What's remarkable is Seles won a GS title in 1996, less than 4 years after she was stabbed; and that she carries on her life positively. She isn't defeated by the stabbing at all.

Maria is similar to Seles in many ways, the most obvious one is the career-thereatening shoulder injury she suffered in 2007-2008 period and the struggles she has been going through since her surgery and her comeback in May of 2009.

Both Seles and Maria are wonderful role models with their hardwork and perseverance.
18majors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #104

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
BKB
I like Monica too...kinda think she's hot.
From the old timers also like Tracy Austin...she's matured quite well.

Did you know a Cdn...Carling Bassett?...she was a looker.

Obviously, recent pros, I like Anna K and Ana I.
Yes...I even went to see a (cheesy) movie with Carling Bassett back in the 80s...if I recall correctly, I think Carling came from a wealthy background and didn't really need tennis...I could be recalling that incorrectly...I will check later...

18...yes it was great to see her win a Major after the stabbing but she was never the same ferocious ball of energy she was before...fitness was an issue...but it is completely understandable...I am happy she is happy today...and fitter today than when she came back...

...of today's pros, the one whose style most resembles Seles is Marion Bartoli...Marion plays two handed from the backhand AND forehand because her dad saw Seles beat Graf one year at Roland Garros...

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 05-04-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #105

BKB
Yes, Bassett was in some cheeseball movie and she comes from money....media and brewery.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #106

more pics on my blog: Maria Sharapova, Victoria Azarenka Head Strong WTA Field At 2012 Mutua Madrid Open Fairways and Forehands

Maria Sharapova at All-Access Hour Mutua Madrid Open 2012

We have the red clay at Roland Garros, the famed terre battue. There is the green clay of Family Circle Cup, which plays differently than the red clay. Now, there is the blue clay of the Mutua Madrid Open. The organizers assure us that the blue clay will play just like the red clay. In fact, it was originally red clay. We will see what the players say once the event begins.

Victoria Azarenka at All-Access Hour

The WTA’s entire top 10 will be at Madrid, setting up the chance to get some answers going into Roland Garros. Specifically, for me, I am waiting to see how the top 4, Victoria Azarenka, Maria Sharapova,Petra Kvitova and Agnieszka Radwanska perform in relation to Serena Williams. Serena didn’t look overwhelming until Family Circle Cup, where she destroyed Samantha Stosur, Lucie Safarova and the rest of the players she faced on the way to the title. As great as she looked in Charleston, Serena was beaten by Caroline Wozniacki in Miami. If one of the top 4 can take the title in Madrid (my personal picks would be Masha or Petra), it would send a message going into Rome and ultimately Paris.

Maria Sharapova

Petra Kvitova

Caroline Wozniacki

Victoria Azarenka

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
Old 05-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #107

Andrea Petkovic is one of the most delightful personalities on the WTA. She really improved a lot in 2011. But like 2008, when she missed 8 months with a knee injury, she has been hit with injuries in 2012, basically missing the first four months with a back injury. Then when she came back, she played Fed Cup, but in her first WTA Tournament (Fed Cup is technically an ITF event) she suffered the above ankle injury...tearing ligaments...but as you can see from her Facebook post today, she remains upbeat...I hope she comes back soon...btw, she calls her fans the Petkorazzi...

Hey Petkorazzis, thank you sooo much for all your messages and nice words. I have the best fans in the world!!

Here is a picture of my cast. You can see, I am not bored at all ;)
- Andrea Petkovic

---Bruce Lee

Old 05-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #108

more pics from my blog: Sorana Cirstea Upsets Marion Bartoli In First Round Of 2012 Mutua Madrid Open; Li Na, Samantha Stosur Advance | Fairways and Forehands

Sorana Cirstea

The 2012 Mutua Madrid Open started with one of the top seeds exiting early as Sorana Cirstea ousted 7th seeded Marion Bartoli, 6-7 (6) 6-4 6-3. 2011 Roland Garros semi-finalist Bartoli has not started the clay court season well, losing in Charleston (green clay) to Polona Hercog and losing in Stuttgart (red clay) to Mona Barthel, both in the round of 16. Against Sorana, Marion led 3-1 in the second set and 2-0 in the final set yet couldn’t hold either lead. However, give Cirstea credit. She has a win this year over Samantha Stosur and Vera Zvonareva. The win over Stosur was especially impressive, knocking the reigning US Open champion out of her native Australian Open in the first round.

Samantha Stosur

Speaking of Samantha Stosur and first round upsets, she barely escaped another against Petra Martic. The 2010 Roland Garros finalist eventually won a war of attrition with Martic, 7-5 4-6 7-6 (5). It was a match in which only 2 service games were broken. That is pretty impressive holding serve, particularly atypical of the women’s game lately. Stosur will need to get her game together quickly as she faces the dangerous young American player Christina McHale next.

Singles – First Round
(5) Samantha Stosur (AUS) d. Petra Martic (CRO) 75 46 76(5)
Sorana Cirstea (ROU) d. (7) Marion Bartoli (FRA) 67(6) 64 63
(8) Li Na (CHN) d. (WC) Garbiñe Muguruza Blanco (ESP) 62 64
Petra Cetkovska (CZE) d. (10) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) 62 62
Mona Barthel (GER) d. Julia Goerges (GER) 64 61
Christina McHale (USA) d. Sofia Arvidsson (SWE) 64 75
Klara Zakopalova (CZE) d. Iveta Benesova (CZE) 64 76(5)
(WC) Venus Williams (USA) d. Simona Halep (ROU) 61 46 76(6)
(WC) Sílvia Soler-Espinosa (ESP) d. Tamira Paszek (AUT) 67(2) 62 62

Sorana Cirstea

Samantha Stosur

Li Na

Venus Williams

Marion Bartoli

---Bruce Lee

Old 05-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #109

more pics and video on my blog: Maria Sharapova, Victoria Azarenka Advance In First Round Of 2012 Mutua Madrid Open | Fairways and Forehands

Maria Sharapova

From the red clay of Stuttgart to the blue clay of Madrid, Maria Sharapova continued her strong play in the first round of the 2012 Mutua Madrid Open by routing Irina-Camelia Begu, 6-0 6-3. Most importantly, Masha brought her strong service game with her. Both players had 79% first serve percentages, but that means a lot more for Sharapova than Begu, as Masha won an astounding 88% of points on her first serve. She was never broken in the match while breaking Begu 4 times. Obviously, the path gets more difficult as Masha advances through the draw, but coming off her title at the 2012 Porsche Tennis Grand Prix it’s good to get the first match in Madrid out of the way quickly.

“The blue clay is obviously different, visually. When you play on red clay for so many years you get used to it, but as tennis players we’re always adjusting to different things and different conditions, so it is what it is. There are some parts of the courts that maybe have a little more clay than other parts, but it’s just the first year, so I’m sure they’re still working kinks out.” – Maria Sharapova

Victoria Azarenka

Having a considerably more difficult time in her first match was Victoria Azarenka, who had a very difficult opening round opponent in 2-time Major winner Svetlana Kuznetsova. Sveta had beaten Vika in two previous meetings on clay, but this time Azarenka was able to grind her way through 7-6 (5) 6-4. Kuznetsova had her chance, up a break in the second set. She also fired off 10 aces. But in the end, it wasn’t enough to knock off the world’s #1 on this day.

Singles – First Round
(1) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) 76(5) 64
(2) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. Irina-Camelia Begu (ROU) 60 63
(4) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) d. (WC) Lara Arruabarrena-Vecino (ESP) 63 61
(6) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. Ksenia Pervak (KAZ) 76(7) 36 64
(Q) Varvara Lepchenko (USA) d. (11) Francesca Schiavone (ITA) 64 67(8) 63
(12) Angelique Kerber (GER) d. (Q) Johanna Larsson (SWE) 61 64
(13) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) d. (Q) Mathilde Johansson (FRA) 64 61
Roberta Vinci (ITA) d. (14) Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) 63 62
(16) Maria Kirilenko (RUS) d. Zheng Jie (CHN) 62 75
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) d. (Q) Jill Craybas (USA) 62 67(6) 61
Yanina Wickmayer (BEL) d. Jarmila Gajdosova (AUS) 62 64
Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP) d. Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL) 60 62
Nadia Petrova (RUS) d. Vania King (USA) 46 63 61
Shahar Peer (ISR) d. Polona Hercog (SLO) 63 75
(Q) Lourdes Domínguez Lino (ESP) d. Monica Niculescu (ROU) 60 76(6)

Maria Sharapova

Caroline Wozniacki

Ana Ivanovic

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 05-07-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #110

Serena and Maria are on a colliding path to Madrid QF, it will be fun!
18majors is offline   Reply With Quote