Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #1

Wimbledon 2011

Serena and Venus

Seeing Venus Williams and sister Serena practicing on grass at AEGON, it seems some kind of order has returned to the tennis world. The superstar sisters have won 9 of the last 11 Wimbledon singles titles, but come in this year after long layoffs, Serenaís since Wimbledon of 2010.

At their best, they are the greatest grass court players in womenís tennis, but this year I am not certain we will see their best. Additionally, three players whose games are suited to grass, former Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova, Petra Kvitova and 2011 Roland Garros champion Li Na, have raised their games vastly since 2010 Wimbledon. Sharapova gave Serena a bit of resistance last year but didnít quite have enough to push her to the edge. This year, Sharapova is better and Serena is a question mark. Kvitova has come into her own. She reached the semifinals of Wimbledon last year and it would not surprise me to see the same, or better, this year. Li Na was a quarterfinalist at Wimbledon last year. Her flat strokes and power game, keeping the ball low on grass, should make her a threat so long as she controls her unforced errors, which she has lately. Considering how much she doesnít like playing spins and drop shots, itís a wonder she won Roland Garros. But at Wimbledon, she should roll.

I think both Serena and Venus, despite their current low rankings, should be seeded in the top 10 at Wimbledon. But I donít think either will win the title. At their best, they are the best on grass. I just donít think we will see the same Venus and Serena we saw last year. If other top seeds can avoid upsets, I look for a Sharapova or Kvitova or Li to pull an upset or two and send Venus and Serena on to the US Open in search of their next Major victory.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #2

I give Venus credit. Despite the layoff and injuries, she says she's in it to win it, not just to post a nice result. Of course, I'm sure Maria Sharapova and Caroline Wozniacki feel the same way. Still, Maria and Caroline don't have 5 Wimbledon singles titles like Venus.

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 06-12-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #3

Ana Ivanovic

Ana Ivanovic is still a fan favorite. When she makes an appearance, they come out. Iím thrilled that she has finally decided, after a poor start to 2011, to seek a full time coach again. As Iíve said before, she should suck it up and call Heinz Gunthardt. No, he canít be there every week as she would like, but her greatest success recently came with him in her corner. Itís not surprising that the former coach of Steffi Graf might just have the tools to help Ana regain past glory.

Iím under no illusions that she will make a run at Wimbledon. Ana has lost in the first round of 3 of her last 4 Majors, including last yearís Wimbledon. Itís a shame, because her big serve and flat strokes should set up at the very least a round of 16 run if not better. A good backhand slice and she would have the tools to do well on grass. Heinz should be able to improve that shot for Ana. After all, very few players used the backhand slice as effective as Steffi Graf, keeping the ball low and inducing returns that set up her big forehand. Anaís tennis idol is Monica Seles. However, Ana does not hit it big off both sides like Monica did. No matter which side you hit to Seles, it was coming back with fire on it. Ana would do better to emulate Steffi Graf. Big serve, slice backhands to keep the ball low (and skid at Wimbledon) and look for a high bouncing return to set up the big forehand. That is Anaís recipe for success.

At the end of the day, I donít want another first round Major loss for Ana. I want her to make a deep run at Wimbledon. She has the tools to do it. Does she have the nerves, guidance and belief that she can? Thatís always been the question with Ana. I would consider a round of 16 result a successful tournament at this moment. That would be something to build on going forward after Wimbledon. Reaching the semifinal at the Aegon Classic at Birmingham was a positive sign. But the big names will be at the All-England club. Weíll see how she does there.

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 06-12-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to cannuck
go li na
cannuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #5

Can someone teach Ana how to play golf....would love to see this hottie on the LPGA.
For you ladies.....it would be a good thing too.....maybe Adam Scott might be in the galley watching Ana....although I believe they broke up now.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #6

Li Na definitely has a good shot at winning Wimbledon.

...as for Ana...

link: Ana Ivanovic Scores 1st Round Victory At 2011 Eastbourne; Serena Williams Wins In Return Match Fairways And Forehands

I don’t want to get ahead of things, it is after all only the first round of the 2011 AEGON International at Eastbourne, but Julia Goerges was a tough match up for Ana Ivanovic. Goerges has two wins over Caroline Wozniacki this year, but Ana handled the challenge 6-4 6-3. After a semifinal showing in Birmingham, Ana has reason to be positive.

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 06-15-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #7

more pics here: WTA Stars Shine Brightly At 2011 Pre-Wimbledon Party Fairways And Forehands

Ana Ivanovic

Always nice to see the players let their hair down. They looked fantastic at the pre-Wimbledon party. With these beautiful (and talented) ladies, it’s hard to go wrong.

Jelena Jankovic

Tsvetana Pironkova and Elena Vesnina

Laura Robson

Caroline Wozniacki

Serena Williams

Maria Sharapova

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 06-17-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #8

Here's another video from the party...I don't know about that Lady Gaga inspired dress Bethanie Mattek-Sands wore...

...however, I did like Li Na...

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 06-18-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #9

just thought I'd stick this here instead of creating an entire thread...

Novak Djokovic

A look at how tennis racquets work and the forces affecting them.

---Bruce Lee

Old 06-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #10

Samantha Stosur

After a slow start to the year, Samantha Stosur of Australia is starting to warm up. She was runner-up to Maria Sharapova at Rome, a semifinalist at Stuttgart, losing to eventual champion Julia Goerges and goes into Wimbledon off a semifinal appearance at Eastbourne, losing to eventual champion Marion Bartoli. Watching the match against Bartoli, it is true the wind and damp conditions were a factor, but Samantha seems a bit uncomfortable on grass. The low bounces seem to throw off her forehand. But she has a good backhand slice that she should use more to get returns that will cause the ball to sit up higher so she can tee off from the forehand side.

---Bruce Lee