Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #21
NTB

Thanks for your info BKB
Old 06-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #22

Originally Posted by NTB View Post
Thanks for your info BKB
You're welcome...it's tennis Major time...I'm in a frothy lather of tennis madness...

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #23

more pics here: Ana Ivanovic, Maria Sharapova, Li Na Cruise In First Round Of Wimbledon 2011; Samantha Stosur, Jelena Jankovic Upset Fairways And Forehands

Maria Sharapova

Maria Sharapova of Russia opened her 2011 Wimbledon campaign by blowing 24 winners past former top 5 player, and fellow Russian, Anna Chakvetadze in only 68 minutes, taking her opening match, 6-2 6-1. Some bookmakers have Masha as the favorite to win Wimbledon 2011. I don’t know that I’d call her the absolute favorite, but she definitely is among the handful of serious threats.

“It was great to be back on Centre Court, considering I didn’t play a warm-up tournament. I played against an opponent who has been Top 10 before. She hasn’t had the best results this year, but you don’t quite know what to expect. I was sure she’d come out and have nothing to lose. I thought she played a really good match, and I really had to step it up. I did a pretty good job of that.” – Maria Sharapova

Ana Ivanovic

I was relieved to see Ana Ivanovic of Serbia cruise into the second round. She has so much potential, but the former #1 player in the world had lost in the first round of both the Australian Open and Roland Garros this year. There is no reason for that, with her talent. She made sure she would stick around a little longer at Wimbledon, ripping through American Melanie Oudin, 6-0 6-1, in 48 minutes. Oudin actually had a high first serve percentage of 76% but with not much on them. Melanie only held serve once and never even had a break point opportunity on Ana’s serve. Hopefully Ana will get some confidence from this win. It’s all psychological with her. Sometimes the belief in herself can be lacking.

Li Na

Not lacking any self-confidence is Roland Garros champion Li Na. She won in straight sets over Alla Kudryavtseva 6-3 6-3. But while she won and moves on, I am concerned over her winner to unforced error total of 12 winners to 13 unforced errors. That is fine with a first round opponent who isn’t on Li’s level. It will not be fine moving forward, particularly with Serena Williams lurking in her section of the draw. In fact, Li might face Birmingham 2011 winner Sabine Lisicki in the second round, if Lisicki wins her first round match. That could be a very tough second round match if Li does not manage a higher winner to unforced error ratio.

Jelena Jankovic

Two players leaving far earlier than expected are Jelena Jankovic and Samantha Stosur. For whatever reason, Stosur, whose has the tools to be a great grass court player, just is not comfortable on the surface. As for Jelena, it might seem like I am being a bit harsh but I have to say it. She is my second favorite player, next to Kim Clijsters, but Jelena needs to focus more on her game and less on fashion photoshoots if she ever wants to win a Major and fulfill the promise she showed when she was ranked #1.

Singles - First Round
(1) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. Arantxa Parra Santonja (ESP) 62 61
(3) Li Na (CHN) d. Alla Kudryavtseva (RUS) 63 63
(4) Victoria Azarenka (SVK) d. Magdalena Rybarikova (BLR) 64 32 ret. (left knee injury)
(5) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. Anna Chakvetadze (RUS) 62 61
(7) Serena Williams (USA) d. Aravane Rezai (FRA) 63 36 61
(8) Petra Kvitova (CZE) d. (Q) Alexa Glatch (USA) 62 62
(9) Marion Bartoli (FRA) d. (Q) Kristyna Pliskova (CZE) 60 62
Melinda Czink (HUN) d. (10) Samantha Stosur (AUS) 63 64
(11) Andrea Petkovic (GER) d. (LL) Stéphanie Foretz Gacon (FRA) 63 64
(14) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) d. (Q) Lesia Tsurenko (UKR) 64 76(3)
María José Martínez Sánchez (ESP) d. (15) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) 57 64 63
(18) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) d. Melanie Oudin (USA) 60 61
(20) Peng Shuai (CHN) d. Kirsten Flipkens (BEL) 60 64
(25) Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) d. (Q) Vitalia Diatchenko (RUS) 46 76(5) 63
(26) Maria Kirilenko (RUS) d. Alberta Brianti (ITA) 62 61
(29) Roberta Vinci (ITA) d. Vera Dushevina (RUS) 75 62
(31) Lucie Safarova (CZE) d. Lucie Hradecka (CZE) 26 63 63
(32) Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL) d. (Q) Camila Giorgi (ITA) 62 61
Klara Zakopalova (CZE) d. (WC) Emily Webley-Smith (GBR) 63 57 86
Nadia Petrova (RUS) d. Vesna Dolonts (RUS) 63 64
Rebecca Marino (CAN) d. Patricia Mayr-Achleitner (AUT) 63 76(5)
Lourdes Domínguez Lino (ESP) d. Romina Oprandi (ITA) 60 61
Iveta Benesova (CZE) d. Sandra Zahlavova (CZE) 36 63 86
Barbora Zahlavova Strycova (CZE) d. (Q) Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN) 76(7) 64
Simona Halep (ROU) d. Bojana Jovanovski (SRB) 61 62
Elena Baltacha (GBR) d. (Q) Mona Barthel (GER) 62 64
Tamira Paszek (AUT) d. Ayumi Morita (JPN) 57 63 60
Virginie Razzano (FRA) d. Sania Mirza (IND) 76(4) 26 63
Anastasiya Yakimova (BLR) d. Sofia Arvidsson (SWE) 46 62 61
Petra Martic (CRO) d. Vania King (USA) 57 62 62
Anne Keothavong (GBR) d. (WC) Naomi Broady (GBR) 62 64
Kateryna Bondarenko (UKR) d. Alizé Cornet (FRA) 75 62
(Q) Tamarine Tanasugarn (THA) d. Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ) 62 63
(Q) Marina Erakovic (NZL) d. (Q) Chang Kai-Chen (TPE) 64 62
(LL) Stéphanie Dubois (CAN) d. (Q) Irina Falconi (USA) 62 62
(WC) Eleni Daniilidou (GRE) d. Coco Vandeweghe (USA) 64 64

---Bruce Lee

Old 06-22-2011, 04:52 AM   #24

Wimbledon really needs to scrap that stuffy white-only rule when it comes to what the players can wear.

It's not the 1950s anymore.

And I want to see Ana in a cerise dress...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #25

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Wimbledon really needs to scrap that stuffy white-only rule when it comes to what the players can wear.

It's not the 1950s anymore.

And I want to see Ana in a cerise dress...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
I wish...I like the individual styles of the players...but I'm not holding my breath that Wimbledon will change in the near future...if ever.

---Bruce Lee

Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #26

more pics here: Kimiko Date-Krumm Falls Shorts In Upset Bid Against Venus Williams In Second Round Of Wimbledon 2011 Fairways And Forehands

Kimiko Date-Krumm and Venus Williams

It was only a second round match, but in front of Camilla, Dutchess of Cornwall, Venus Williams and Kimiko Date-Krumm played the match of the tournament on the ladies side so far this Wimbledon 2011, with Venus winning, 6-7 (6) 6-3 8-6 in 2 hours and 56 minutes. Particularly spectacular was the first set, with both players displaying a high level of play. Kimiko was especially brilliant off the backhand side, mixing slices and flat shots, moving Venus around the court. Some of Kimiko’s shots looked like she was cupping the ball and at times just using a minimal backswing and flicking at the ball a la Andre Agassi on return. Kimiko was using Venus’ pace to generate her own pace, redirecting the ball. Actually, the player Kimiko reminded me of the most was former Czech player Miloslav Mecir, aka The Big Cat.

Kimiko came out dictating the play, running out to a 5-1 first set lead. Venus, however, did not become a 5-time Wimbledon singles champion by shrinking in the face of adversity, battling back and eventually forcing a 6-6 tie-break. The tie-break itself was a microcosm of the set, with Kimiko getting an early lead before Venus stormed back. But this time, Kimiko held on to take the tie-break 8-6.

“She came out and I couldn’t seem to get a game. She plays so well – every ball hits the line, the baseline. She was so aggressive. Coming so close to winning the first set was so frustrating.” - Venus Williams

Just when it looked like an upset was brewing, Venus seemingly took control of the match, winning the second set 6-3 and breaking for a 2-0 third set lead. She started neutralizing Kimiko’s effective return of serve by hitting more into her body. It looked as if order was restored and Venus would coast the third set. But Kimiko broke back and raised her level of play again to battle on serve, past the point where a tie-break would be played in other Majors. Although it would be Venus who would eventually emerge the victor 8-6 in the third, the effort of the 40-year old from Japan, retired for 12 years, Kimiko Date-Krumm, who actually hit more winners, 46 to 45, showed that she is ageless, giving the fans a match they will not soon forget.

“I give her a lot of credit and I’m just glad to come through. Right until the end she was attacking, even the last point, I hit a great approach and she almost got the passing shot.” – Venus Williams

“Of course I’m very, very disappointed to lose today, but it was a good fight for me. I played my tennis and fought hard with Venus – she’s a great champion here and a great player. I’m very happy even though I lost.” – Kimiko Date-Krumm

Singles - Second Round
(2) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) d. Elena Vesnina (RUS) 61 76(5)
(4) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. Iveta Benesova (CZE) 60 63
(8) Petra Kvitova (CZE) d. Anne Keothavong (GBR) 62 61
(11) Andrea Petkovic (GER) d. (LL) Stéphanie Dubois (CAN) 63 46 63
(23) Venus Williams (USA) d. Kimiko Date-Krumm (JPN) 67(6) 63 86
(25) Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) d. (Q) Marina Erakovic (NZL) 63 61
(29) Roberta Vinci (ITA) d. Rebecca Marino (CAN) 76(3) 62
(32) Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL) d. Petra Martic (CRO) 61 64
María José Martínez Sánchez (ESP) d. Monica Niculescu (ROU) 63 60
Ksenia Pervak (RUS) d. Pauline Parmentier (FRA) 62 16 63

Singles - First Round
(13) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) d. Olga Govortsova (BLR) 60 30 ret. (left ankle injury)
(16) Julia Goerges (GER) d. Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP) 63 60
(21) Flavia Pennetta (ITA) d. Irina-Camelia Begu (ROU) 76(3) 46 62
(24) Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) d. Mirjana Lucic (CRO) 36 63 86
(27) Jarmila Gajdosova (AUS) d. Alona Bondarenko (UKR) 75 63
(Q) Misaki Doi (JPN) d. (30) Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA) 64 57 75
Polona Hercog (SLO) d. Johanna Larsson (SWE) 67(3) 63 64
Mathilde Johansson (FRA) d. (WC) Heather Watson (GBR) 26 64 64
Petra Cetkovska (CZE) d. Kristina Barrois (GER) 62 57 62
Evgeniya Rodina (RUS) d. Chanelle Scheepers (RSA) 63 75
Zheng Jie (CHN) d. Zuzana Ondraskova (CZE) 75 60
Andrea Hlavackova (CZE) d. Anastasia Rodionova (AUS) 61 62
(WC) Sabine Lisicki (GER) d. Anastasija Sevastova (LAT) 61 61
(WC) Laura Robson (GBR) d. Angelique Kerber (GER) 46 76(4) 63

Vera Zvonareva

Andrea Petkovic

Misaki Doi

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 06-23-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #27

more pics here: Sabine Lisicki Upsets Li Na In Second Round Of Wimbledon 2011; Ana Ivanovic Moves On Fairways And Forehands

Sabine Lisicki overjoyed after win

Before Wimbledon, Sabine Lisicki’s most memorable Major moment in 2011 was blowing a match point against Roland Garros 3rd seed Vera Zvonareva, losing the chance to pull the upset and eventually being carried off the court on a stretcher. Sometimes fate hands a player a chance at redemption. Sabine had that chance in the second round of Wimbledon 2011, facing another 3rd seed, Li Na, the Roland Garros champion. This time it would be Li Na who would fail to capitalize on not one, but two, match points. Li wasn’t carried off on a stretcher, but the Chinese star, who had reached the final of the first two Majors of 2011, lost a heartbreaker as Lisicki triumphed in three sets, 3-6 6-4 8-6.

And yet, if you follow tennis closely, you could see this coming. Sabine Lisicki is a dangerous foe, particularly on grass with her big serve. She just won Birmingham 2011 on grass, while Li Na had a lot of media and sponsor distractions after her historic Roland Garros win. Furthermore, as I mentioned in my blog entry following Li Na’s first round win, her winners to unforced errors ratio needed to be better as she went deeper into the tournament. Even with that, Lisicki was a real threat. And Sabine’s 17 aces against only 5 double faults, with her fastest serve clocked at 124 mph, were more than Li could overcome.

“The first point until the end of the match, every serve was, like, around 117 miles (per hour). I mean, this is impossible for the women.” – Li Na

Li Na

With all that being said, Li Na still had two match points to win this match and probably should have. But at the same time, Lisicki played quality tennis. Not quite to the level of the Venus Williams-Kimiko Date Krumm match, but she was effective not just bombing serves, but using slice serves and a few kickers. Her second serve needs a little work. Her first serve is as good as anyone’s, including the Williams sisters. But her second serve is where to attack her. Don’t let Sabine’s ranking mislead. She was once a top 25 player rising up the rankings until a series of injuries derailed her. I don’t know how far she can go at Wimbledon. As I mentioned, as well as Lisicki played, Li Na probably still should have won. But with a win at Birmingham 2011 and knocking out the 3rd seed at Wimbledon, Lisicki is showing signs of the promise she hinted at a few years ago.

Ana Ivanovic

Speaking of the promise she showed a few years ago, Ana Ivanovic rolled in the second round, crushing Eleni Daniilidou 6-3 6-0. Ivanovic was solid in all phases of her game. She hit some big first serves and had that crushing forehand working. OK, I admit her first two opponents were not in the league of the top ranked players, but after back to back first round flame outs at the Australian Open and Roland Garros, every win in a Major should give Ana confidence. She has admitted that confidence has been an issue for her at times. But if she can believe in herself, she has the tools to make a run. Kim Clijsters isn’t here. Samantha Stosur and Jelena Jankovic have already been upset. Li Na has likewise been ousted. The Williams sisters are making comebacks after long layoffs, with both already being taken to three sets early in the tournament. Caroline Wozniacki, unlike Ana, has never won a Major. Ditto for hopefuls Petra Kvitova and Vera Zvonareva. If, and I admit it’s a big if, Ana can trust herself in the moments that will test her will, she could have a great Wimbledon run.

Singles – Second Round
(WC) Sabine Lisicki (GER) d. (3) Li Na (CHN) 36 64 86
(6) Francesca Schiavone (ITA) d. Barbora Zahlavova Strycova (CZE) 75 63
(7) Serena Williams (USA) d. Simona Halep (ROU) 36 62 61
(12) Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) d. Alexandra Dulgheru (ROU) 60 62
Petra Cetkovska (CZE) d. (13) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) 36 76(5) 64
Nadia Petrova (RUS) d. (14) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) 63 63
(16) Julia Goerges (GER) d. Mathilde Johansson (FRA) 76(10) 62
(18) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) d. (WC) Eleni Daniilidou (GRE) 63 60
(19) Yanina Wickmayer (BEL) d. Anna Tatishvili (GEO) 36 64 62
(21) Flavia Pennetta (ITA) d. Evgeniya Rodina (RUS) 64 62
(24) Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) d. Polona Hercog (SLO) 61 62
(26) Maria Kirilenko (RUS) d. (Q) Tamarine Tanasugarn (THA) 75 75
(27) Jarmila Gajdosova (AUS) d. Andrea Hlavackova (CZE) 76(1) 63
Klara Zakopalova (CZE) d. (31) Lucie Safarova (CZE) 60 67(3) 64
Tamira Paszek (AUT) d. Christina McHale (USA) 64 61
Kateryna Bondarenko (UKR) d. Sara Errani (ITA) 64 57 62
Melinda Czink (HUN) d. Anastasiya Yakimova (BLR) 75 63
(Q) Misaki Doi (JPN) d. Zheng Jie (CHN) 63 61

Sabine Lisicki

Ana Ivanovic

---Bruce Lee

Old 06-24-2011, 04:58 AM   #28
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
BKB. You know your tennis. In an earlier post, you mention Sabine Lisicki potential upset of Li Na and Ana Ivanovic moving on early matches, some thing she has not done reacently in a big event. WOW.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:54 AM   #29

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
BKB. You know your tennis. In an earlier post, you mention Sabine Lisicki potential upset of Li Na and Ana Ivanovic moving on early matches, some thing she has not done reacently in a big event. WOW.
I follow tennis every week...sometimes you can see them coming...Lisicki, low ranking due to injuries...coming off a grass court title...a distracted and error-prone Li...still, Li should have won...but even so, a tough match was in the air no matter which way it went...I would have been surprised by a 2 and 2 win for either player...

---Bruce Lee

Old 06-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #30

more pics here: Maria Sharapova Fights Off Laura Robson In Second Round Of Wimbledon 2011; Vera Zvonareva Ousted Fairways And Forehands

Maria Sharapova

No British woman has won a singles title at Wimbledon since Virginia Wade in 1977. There are many who think 17 year old rising star Laura Robson will one day be the player to end the drought. She gave Maria Sharapova all she could handle in their second round match, before Masha finally prevailed 7-6 (4) 6-3. Robson held first set leads of 3-0 and 4-1, playing with confidence and focus. But to be fair, while Robson is being hailed for her effort, she did get some help from what Masha didn’t do the first two games to build a lead. Masha failed to convert on four break point opportunities in the first game. Credit goes to Laura for fighting those off. However, on the first break point the replay appeared to show the ball landed out, which would have given Masha the opening game break. But she didn’t challenge the call, probably because Laura’s serve pulled her off the court to the opposite side of the crosscourt shot. The psychological advantage Masha would have had from coming out and breaking Laura right away would have set a completely different tone than Laura fighting off four break chances and holding. In the following game Masha was broken by Laura, but that was in large part due to back to back double faults by Sharapova to end the game. So while Laura opened well, she was getting some help from Masha.

Once Maria began to get her (ongoing) service yips under control a little, her superior power and all-court game was too much for the still developing Robson, hitting 32 winners to 15 unforced errors. Still, Laura showed a lot in her game. She is a former Wimbledon junior champion and looked fearless. Even when she went to net to shake Masha’s hand at the end of the match I noticed how focused her eyes were on Maria. For just a moment, Robson reminded me of Jennifer Capriati. If there is one area for Laura to work on, I would say she will need to up her fitness which will help her movement. Sometimes it seemed Laura was a half step out of position. The balls come back a lot faster with the ladies than they did against juniors. Laura will need better lateral movement and quickness to continue her upward career trajectory.

Vera Zvonareva

On a downward trajectory in the third round (rain caused parts of both the second and third rounds to be played on the same day) was 2nd seeded Vera Zvonareva. The 2010 Wimbledon finalist exited the singles stage early this year as Tsvetana Pironkova ousted Vera, 6-2 6-3. Vera beat Pironkova last year at Wimbledon but Tsvetana played a nearly flawless match this year. Both players had 16 winners, but Pironkova had only 5 unforced errors while Vera had 18. The win by Pironkova brings up an intriguing match with Venus Williams. At first look, that seems like a 2 and 2 win for Venus, and it just might turn out that way. But Pironkova beat Venus at Wimbledon last year and has beaten Venus 2 out of 3 times head to head. Would I bet the house that Tsvetana will beat Venus again in the next round. No. In fact, heck no. But…there is reason to believe an upset could happen.

Maria Sharapova

Laura Robson

Victoria Azarenka

Singles - Third Round
(32) Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL) d. (2) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) 62 63
(4) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. (25) Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) 63 36 62
(8) Petra Kvitova (CZE) d. (29) Roberta Vinci (ITA) 63 63
Ksenia Pervak (RUS) d. (11) Andrea Petkovic (GER) 64 76(2)
(19) Yanina Wickmayer (BEL) d. (12) Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) 46 63 64
(23) Venus Williams (USA) d. María José Martínez Sánchez (ESP) 60 62
Nadia Petrova (RUS) d. Kateryna Bondarenko (UKR) 63 62

Suspended due to rain
Tamira Paszek (AUT) leads (6) Francesca Schiavone (ITA) 36 64 32

Singles - Second Round
(1) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. Virginie Razzano (FRA) 61 63
(5) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. (WC) Laura Robson (GBR) 76(4) 63
(9) Marion Bartoli (FRA) d. Lourdes Domínguez Lino (ESP) 46 75 62
(20) Peng Shuai (CHN) d. Elena Baltacha (GBR) 46 62 75

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 06-25-2011 at 02:07 AM.