Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #1

Who Are The Top Female Golf Instructors

While reading and commenting on a Jeanne Cho article in the SS forum, I wondered...are there any female instructors considered swing gurus or putting gurus, etc? When I think of coaches, four names pop into my mind...Hank Haney, Dave Stockton, Butch Harmon and David Leadbetter...when I think about it, I can name more...and then I realized...they're all men...I know that Ben Hogan said Mickey Wright had the greatest swing he'd ever seen...

YouTube - Todd Dugan, PGA, Ben Hogan vs. Mickey Wright

...did she go on to teach? Who are the great female golf instructors?

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #2

OK...did some research myself and found this:

Golf: The 50 Best Women Teachers In America: Golf Digest

...now I admit not being too informed on instructors...I have to be honest, I only recognize the names Suzy Whaley...and not for being an instructor...and Gale Peterson...

...but it would be nice if we'd hear more about the work a player did with one of these instructors when they perform well...for example, we heard so much about Dave Stockton when Michelle had a stretch of decent putting...is she not using him anymore...maybe I missed it, but I don't remember anybody mentioning Lynn Marriott when Ai Miyazato was in her hot streak...

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 08-19-2010 at 09:09 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
Forum Moderator

Pia Nilsson and Lynn Marriott are pretty famous. Annika put them on the map around the time she won her last major in 2006. They have been getting a lot of press lately because of all the success they've had with Ai, Yani, Suzann Pettersen, and others.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Pia Nilsson and Lynn Marriott are pretty famous. Annika put them on the map around the time she won her last major in 2006. They have been getting a lot of press lately because of all the success they've had with Ai, Yani, Suzann Pettersen, and others.
Nilsson and Marriott earned their "fame" with their Vision 54 concept of mental coaching. They are not considered "famous" swing coaches, though obviously, they are well versed in the mechanics of the golf swing.

Annika's swing coach is Henri Reis....Pettersen is w/Leadbetter....and Yani is with Gary Gilchrist. Don't know about Ai or Lincicome (who's also w/ Vision 54).

All of them go to Nilsson/Marriott for psycho reasons.

By the way....for those of you who wish to improve your golf games from the "mental" aspect....get N & M's book.... Every Shot Must Have a Purpose.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Nilsson and Marriott earned their "fame" with their Vision 54 concept of mental coaching. They are not considered "famous" swing coaches, though obviously, they are well versed in the mechanics of the golf swing.

Annika's swing coach is Henri Reis....Pettersen is w/Leadbetter....and Yani is with Gary Gilchrist. Don't know about Ai or Lincicome (who's also w/ Vision 54).

All of them go to Nilsson/Marriott for psycho reasons.

By the way....for those of you who wish to improve your golf games from the "mental" aspect....get N & M's book.... Every Shot Must Have a Purpose.
I know. I was just surprised that BKB hadn't heard of them especially since Yani had been talking about them giving her mental advice going into her win at the British.

I agree about the book.

Last edited by Blue; 08-19-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote