Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
Administrator

Usama bin Laden is dead

Usama bin Laden is dead, multiple sources confirm to Fox News. He was killed a week ago by a U.S. bomb.

President Obama is expected to deliver a statement from the White House Sunday night to discuss the major development.

The announcement comes nearly a decade after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks which started a tireless hunt for the terrorist mastermind and Al Qaeda leader.

The U.S. had been waiting for the results of a DNA test to confirm his identity before going public. Sources said the vice president informed congressional leaders late Sunday night that bin Laden had indeed been killed.

Usama bin Laden Is Dead, Sources Say - FoxNews.com
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
Administrator

It took long enough, now will he become a martyr for more crazies is the question.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
NTB

The talking heads will talk about this for weeks 24/7.. I will hate this.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:15 AM   #4

May he rot in hell
Old 05-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #5

I honestly don't think it'll make a lot of difference to terrorist activity around the world. It isn't all about Al Qaeda now, it's about fringe groups and even more extremists. I agree bin Laden should have been captured/killed, and trust there will not be a backlash around the world.

I sincerely hope the British government will reconsider the 650 million pound aid they have said they will give Pakistan over the next few years, given they had to know who they were harboring. Money the UK will have to borrow with no guarantee it would go to the people who need it, and money that should be spent here first!
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
I honestly don't think it'll make a lot of difference to terrorist activity around the world. It isn't all about Al Qaeda now, it's about fringe groups and even more extremists. I agree bin Laden should have been captured/killed, and trust there will not be a backlash around the world.
True. Killing bin Laden is only about retribution for 9/11. That might be important. It won't end terrorism.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #7

I thought he died years' ago.

It's important in terms of closing a particular chapter in American history,and will bring some comfort to the families of 9/11 victims,but I doubt it will have any impact on global terrorism.

I think at this stage,Bin Laden was little more than a figurehead.

The other thing is that it almost certainly gives Obama a second term ; you don't kick out the guy who brought down the most wanted man in recent history...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 05-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
NTB

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
I thought he died years' ago.

It's important in terms of closing a particular chapter in American history,and will bring some comfort to the families of 9/11 victims,but I doubt it will have any impact on global terrorism.

I think at this stage,Bin Laden was little more than a figurehead.

The other thing is that it almost certainly gives Obama a second term ; you don't kick out the guy who brought down the most wanted man in recent history...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
My thoughts exactly
Old 05-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
True. Killing bin Laden is only about retribution for 9/11. That might be important. It won't end terrorism.
Of course. There was terrorism before Obama Bin Laden was born...Ooops, I mean Osama Bin Laden!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #10

I was happy to hear the son of a bitch was killed by US forces. I was also happy to hear that they positively identified him by DNA testing...this should shut up the "birther" conspiracy whack jobs.

Additionally, the way the US buried him at sea...stopping there being a 'shrine' as a martyr. Also, kudos to the US for disposing of his body with the dignity that should be allowed anyone in death. I understand they followed Islamic customs and got it over with quickly without any drama. Much better than just pitching his sorry ass into a bonfire, which is what many of our enemies would do to Americans. We are better than that....we are better than them.

Will they strike in retaliation for this? Oh yeah....somewhere. A battle was won, but the war against religious terrorism isn't over.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote