Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #21

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
I'd like one of those tee shirts to wear to the gym. (jk!)
I'd wear one...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 05-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #22
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
finely-honed athletes display a combination of power,athleticism and grace.
A good definition for most sports. athleticism? Does what most athletes do, duh. Grace and power are also part of most sports from boxing to cheerleading.
Lady golfers fit under the definition of athletes, again duh. Most are powerful (Check interviews about their training itinerary), and what makes golf so interesting is the grace of styles (both men and females).
At least Lady Golfers dont grunt.

Last edited by Elf; 05-24-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #23

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
A good definition for most sports. athleticism? Does what most athletes do, duh. Grace and power are also part of most sports from boxing to cheerleading.
Lady golfers fit under the definition of athletes, again duh. Most are powerful (Check interviews about their training itinerary), and what makes golf so interesting is the grace of styles (both men and females).
At least Lady Golfers dont grunt.
I'm arguing with someone who classifies 'cheerleading' as a sport.Duh.

As for athleticism : Fat,middle-aged people can make a living at professional golf .Give me a list of their contemporaries on the pro tennis circuit.

I prefer women's golf to women's tennis,but it's incredibly naive to believe that what works for one sport will automatically work for the other.

Women's tennis is more mainstream.The majors in women's tennis are much more a part of the sporting landscape than the majors in women's golf.

It's night and day.

Anyway,the LPGA wouldn't have the bright minds to come up with a promotional campaign equivalent to that of the WTA.If the LPGA put a slogan on a t-shirt,it would probably read 'These girls tweet'...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 05-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #24

Fat people can swing a tennis racket , Saint. It's running after the ball that poses the problem.
Golfers are much smarter...they walk after the ball (into their sixties and seventies, and beyond.)

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #25
Elf

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
I'm arguing with someone who classifies 'cheerleading' as a sport.Duh.

As for athleticism : Fat,middle-aged people can make a living at professional golf .Give me a list of their contemporaries on the pro tennis circuit.

I prefer women's golf to women's tennis,but it's incredibly naive to believe that what works for one sport will automatically work for the other.

Women's tennis is more mainstream.The majors in women's tennis are much more a part of the sporting landscape than the majors in women's golf.

It's night and day.
1. Cheer leading. I am not hot about TV watching or cheer leading. But with incredulous eyes I have watch a few competitions at HS and college level of what is now a sport. Including coeds.

2. Before answering about fat middle aged tennis Players. You forget one word about sports. INTENSITY. Some sports like weight lifting (and there are some big fat ones doing it) last only seconds and then the athlete has to rest for a while because the intense pressure on the body. Olympic wrestling takes nine minutes with rest in within. Triathlon can take a whole day. Bicycle racing a full two weeks or more and so on. All sports require different levels of intensity: speed. strength, hearth beat, volume of fat, etc. I can not see a heavy weight fighter playing a soccer match or a Foot ball center playing ping pong or vice versa. Thats why we all love sports, everyone has the freedom to choose.
No, I don't recollect fat tennis players. Arantxa was chubby and short and a few others but insignificant. Laura Davies would have long retired from tennis because of the required intensity.

3. Woman's tennis is more mainstream. Of course and it probably always be. But for female Golf lovers who cares?. Gymnastics and women skating are more popular, but I will keep the LPGA if it lasts. How boring if we all had to like the mainstream sports.

Last edited by Elf; 05-24-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #26

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Fat people can swing a tennis racket , Saint. It's running after the ball that poses the problem.
Golfers are much smarter...they walk after the ball (into their sixties and seventies, and beyond.)

Viva Annika
And beyond their seventies,they occasionally remember where they hit it...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 05-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #27

Andrea Petkovic

In addition to the "Strong Is Beautiful" campaign...the WTA has started a video series called "Passions", where players talk about some of their favorite things off the course...sure, it's fluff...but let's see where it goes...they just released the first player video, Germany's rising star Andrea Petkovic...

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 05-24-2011 at 11:23 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #28
Elf

In addition to the "Strong Is Beautiful" campaign...the WTA has started a video series called "Passions", where players talk about some of their favorite things off the course...sure, it's fluff...but let's see where it goes...they just released the first player video, Germany's rising star Andrea Petkovic...
Not so hot as the "Strong Is beautiful", but... keep them coming. TBM.

Last edited by Elf; 05-24-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #29
Contest Statistician

Send a message via Yahoo to DJGOLFER59
I said how I didn't feel the photos for the campaign were very good, I don't feel like they portray what they are aiming to achieve, however the commercial campaign for 'strong is beautiful' is fantastic. That is exactly what they are trying to get across in their photos. These commercials are exactly what the LPGA can never do.
DJGOLFER59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #30

from my blog: WTA Strong Is Beautiful Wallpapers Fairways and Forehands

Maria Sharapova

I really liked the WTA’s “Strong Is Beautiful” campaign. For those who are uber-fans of the WTA, they have downloadable computer wallpaper available for lots of players including Maria Sharapova, Caroline Wozniacki, Kim Clijsters, Serena Williams and Ana Ivanovic, among many others. There are four wallpaper sizes, designed for different screen dimensions: 1024×768, 1280×760, 1600×1200 and 1920×1280. You can check out the list of players and download the wallpapers here: WTA Strong Is Beautiful Wallpapers

Caroline Wozniacki

Ana Ivanovic

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 11-28-2011 at 11:45 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote