Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Donating Member

Steve Jobs has passed away

I am sure you all will be learning of Steve's passing. I am very sad. My whole life has been woven with Apple products and Steve. My wife has used investment in Apple stock to put our kids through college. Words fail me.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #2

Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post
I am sure you all will be learning of Steve's passing. I am very sad. My whole life has been woven with Apple products and Steve. My wife has used investment in Apple stock to put our kids through college. Words fail me.
A true pioneer who leaves this world with his fingerprints all over it. Rest in peace, Steve.

I had a feeling you might have a special interest in Apple. I remember you asking me in another thread what I thought were the limitations of the iPhone when I made a remark to that effect...it's a great product...easy to use...I just like playing with Android more...I like to customize...and the new Samsung Galaxy S2 is testing off the chart...also eagerly awaiting the Atrix 2...but there is no right or wrong, which is why I didn't answer you...didn't want a fight over smartphones...

...that said...even an Android lover like myself has to bow my head today to a true visionary in Steve Jobs and acknowledge how much he and Apple have changed the world....it's amazing how many times they have created products that created new markets...the iPod and iTunes changed how music is marketed and the mobility of music...the iPhone...not the first smartphone...but unlike Blackberrys and PDAs before it, the iPhone, and the apps that went with it, made the smartphone a mobile mini-computer and easy for a non-techie to use...and the iPad...again, not the first tablet computer...and even derided by some before it was released, created a hunger and marketplace that didn't really exist previously...there was no flood of tablets from Samsung, Research In Motion, ASUS (love the Eee Pad Transformer), Acer, Motorola, etc...now companies are tripping over each other trying to push their tablet devices out...

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
Administrator

I never liked Apple till the iphone and ipod, even then I thought they were overpriced and fall into the don't need but I want category. The last Mac computer I used was 15 years ago in high school. I'm glad things went well with you with Apple ctmurray.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:32 AM   #4

I'm neither shocked nor surprised by the news given recent events and announcements, but it is sad someone with his vision and drive is gone.

I've used Apple for several years now. Yes, they are overpriced and never discounted, but everything lasts a whole lot longer than 'yer average PC'. Unless you're like me and replace! I used a Mac Mini for several years, still have it hooked up. Have you ever looked at it, really looked? Everything you need in something 6 inches square, unreal. iMac the whole thing in the monitor? Can't be done, now others are doing the same. iPad, well we know the story there. The only thing I don't have is an iPhone, like BKB I have the Samsung Galaxy SII for no better reason than I like it. All those animated movies your kids or grandkids go to produced by Pixar, Jobs again.

I really hope the company can keep going and continue to produce the innovative designs and products they are known for. Hopefully Ive will stay and the new guy will not just be about economics.

CT, astute woman your wife!
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #5

I think Steve Jobs was partly responsible for many people losing their jobs. Computers are replacing people's job...thus higher unemployment. You go to the bank now-a-days, you hardly see any teller because they're replaced by computers. Post offices are closing because people hardly use them anymore because of e-mails, paying bill through your computers, etc., etc. Steve Jobs made billions of dollars for his inventions, etc., but it shows you that money can not buy health, happiness and life longevity. In other words, I have more admiration for people like Buzzer, Notax, and some of you who takes care of you health and live longer than Steve Jobs.

But may you Rest In Peace, Mr. Jobs! And my condolence to your family.

Editorial Note:The above is just my opinion and doesn't necessarily reflects the opinion of this forum or members of this forum.
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!

Last edited by dangerbob; 10-06-2011 at 09:40 AM.
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
I think Steve Jobs was partly responsible for many people losing their jobs. Computers are replacing people's job...thus higher unemployment. You go to the bank now-a-days, you hardly see any teller because they're replaced by computers. Post offices are closing because people hardly use them anymore because of e-mails, paying bill through your computers, etc., etc. Steve Jobs made billions of dollars for his inventions, etc., but it shows you that money can not buy health, happiness and life longevity. In other words, I have more admiration for people like Buzzer, Notax, and some of you who takes care of you health and live longer than Steve Jobs.

But may you Rest In Peace, Mr. Jobs! And my condolence to your family.

Editorial Note:The above is just my opinion and doesn't necessarily reflects the opinion of this forum or members of this forum.
Nonsense. The computer is just a tool. Employment shifts. Why are you not crying for the horse and buggy makers. They were put out of business by the automakers, but the autmoakers employeed more people then the horse and buggy makers ever did. As a tool to help efficiency the computer or any other tool will increase productivity, thus increasing output, thus increasing the need for more employement. Otherwise you will have stagnation like we have now.

How many people work at Apple? 10's of thousands. How many other workers are employeed at companies realated to the work that Apple does either thru manufacturing, software development, marketplaces (like itunes) etc are employeed. 10's of thousands.

How many people work at FaceBook, Google, Yahoo, Cisco, Oracle etc? 100's of thousands. These companies did not exist 15 years ago. They exist thru the vision of other people how were like Steve Jobs, who are able to imagine into the future and apply that vision. Not to mention older companies like IBM, MS, HP.

How many people are employeed manufacturing the new Boeing 787? How could it have been efficiently developed without computers so that it could go into production.

Should it be necessery for humans to do certain types dangerous of task that can be replaced by robotics. Those workers that were exploited that if anything happened were put on the scrap heep.

These are just a few examples.

Would you perfer that the US does not lead in technology while the rest of the world moves on. We need more people with the Vision of Steve Jobs to help move this country foward.

Your equating his death with some sort of leap to happiness, money and health is repulsive. It has nothing to do with Pancriactic Cancer, which has a minimal survival rate. Yet while certainly being sick and in pain he made sure to guide is company, which employees a lot of people, into the future that he certainly knew he would not see. I am sure that was his happiness even though being sick.

You have an overly simplistic and miopic view of technology and the advancement of society.

So don't worry, I have already sent this to your lawyer and Paula Creamers Lawyer. (See humors reference - I am attacking your views, not your person)

And I end it with a Smiley.

Wow what a rant. I feel like a combination of Bill Maher and Dennis Miller, with a little Wiefan thrown in.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #7

I gave my response to your post in the other thread. Since this thread is devoted to the passing of your hero, Mr. Steve Jobs, let's take our arguments in another thread. Thanks Heddwyn for starting that thread.
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
Contest Statistician

Ok imoved over there.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #9

Sad news when anyone passes. He was an amazing man for his ideas. Whether we used his products or not, I'm impressed with his innovation. One guy I heard said he knew what the public wanted before they knew they wanted it.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #10

Thumbs up

To be honest, I was never a fan of Steve Jobs but maybe I should have been and might have been had I read a transcript of his 2005 Stanford Commencement Address before today.

This portion of his speech really does hit home.
------------------------------------------------
No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address (2005)