Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #21

You guys should take a peek at the Seoul Sister board during Seoulheim...er, I mean Solheim...we b$@$& and moan the whole week. Don't misunderstand, we love Solheim...but...well, you know. It's really pointless to complain. IT WON'T CHANGE. It's not really broken and it's built enough tradition in a short period of time for most people to not want to tinker with it.

However, I agree with Blue (geez...did I just write that?) that there are a lot of reasons that Lexus didn't work; sticking it at he end of th season, lack of tv, etc. How about this? Move it to the middle of the year and play it in years where there is no Solheim. So Lexus in even years, Solheim in odd years. If I recall correctly, Lexus was played at the end of the year during a time with a fuller LPGA schedule. With all the gaps in the schedule now, why not play it during one of those three or four week gaps when nothing would be happening otherwise? And play it in Hawaii. Ok, I just threw in that last one. Just trying to get an event in paradise.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #22

If you want an Asian team competition, have at it, just leave the USA and Europe out of it.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #23

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Comment was directed at you who posted the comments about Europe being in the eastern hemisphere. I should have said "Golf is no longer just a sport dominated by players from the United States of America, from Great Britain, Ireland, and the countries of western Europe." I hope this clears it up.

I do like the Solheim Cup but I think it can be better.

Sheesh.
If you should have said that, then why didn't you? It was you who broke it into hemispheres. I was merely pointing out that it already includes both. I'm also confused as to why you're so offended when someone nitpicks your posts. You do it to everybody and never give it a second thought.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #24

Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
One point we all seem to be losing sight of is the fact that the Solheim Cup competition was created by the Solheim family and they set the ground rules. Any major changes would, I hope, have to be approved by the family.
Exactly.

Change for the sake of change is seldom a good thing.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #25
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
One point we all seem to be losing sight of is the fact that the Solheim Cup competition was created by the Solheim family and they set the ground rules. Any major changes would, I hope, have to be approved by the family.
True. We'll see what happens. It won't change in 2011, 2013 or 2015 but probably eventually it will and I think that will be a good thing.

I'm kind of surprised at all the uproar here against the suggestion. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. Golf is very traditional.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #26
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
You guys should take a peek at the Seoul Sister board during Seoulheim...er, I mean Solheim...we b$@$& and moan the whole week. Don't misunderstand, we love Solheim...but...well, you know. It's really pointless to complain. IT WON'T CHANGE. It's not really broken and it's built enough tradition in a short period of time for most people to not want to tinker with it.

However, I agree with Blue (geez...did I just write that?) that there are a lot of reasons that Lexus didn't work; sticking it at he end of th season, lack of tv, etc. How about this? Move it to the middle of the year and play it in years where there is no Solheim. So Lexus in even years, Solheim in odd years. If I recall correctly, Lexus was played at the end of the year during a time with a fuller LPGA schedule. With all the gaps in the schedule now, why not play it during one of those three or four week gaps when nothing would be happening otherwise? And play it in Hawaii. Ok, I just threw in that last one. Just trying to get an event in paradise.
Why are you surprised to agree with me? We haven't disagreed on much around here. Oh wait, maybe it's personal.

The idea of Hawaii isn't bad. If no one wants to tinker with the sacred beauty of the Solheim Cup, here's another idea of a global championship. How about a season-opening world championship, in Hawaii in late January. It could be the weekend before the first full-field event. Entry is open to the top 5 players from the money list from the previous season from these areas:
US
Rest of Americas outside of the US
Europe
Asia
Australia-New Zealand

So 25 players in all, no cut, three rounds: Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

It would be an official money list event, not an exhibition, with a high purse (one can dream), broadcast on network TV (still dreaming ...), maybe on Super Bowl weekend ...

The format could require tweaking.

Just tossing out a suggestion. Golf, especially women's golf is global now. I think we should be looking for a way to celebrate and capitalize this instead of complaining about it.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #27

Who's complaining? The only one who seems to be griping about the Solheim format is you. I'm of the opinion, which seems to be the popular opinion, that it's fine the way it is.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #28
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
Who's complaining? The only one who seems to be griping about the Solheim format is you. I'm of the opinion, which seems to be the popular opinion, that it's fine the way it is.
People are complaining about the global expansion of golf. That's what my post says. In particularly there is a lot of hand-wringing about the Asian influence. No one, not even me, is complaining about the Solheim Cup, just offering suggestions for improvement.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #29

Of course, there is the 2016 Summer Olympics coming up. That will be a global event. 5 years is a long time. Don't think Se Ri will even be around (she's been hinting at retirement). I hope she is still on tour in 2016 and playing well. Any SS fan would want to see Se Ri in the Olympics. But by then, will she be good enough to qualify for the South Korean team?
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #30

I have an idea similar to Blue's I've been toying with for about two weeks now, but I want to save my idea for a separate thread after the Solheim Cup has been played.
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote