Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
sag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 738
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I was a die-hard keep it the way it is advocate for the Solheim Cup but I've come to realize that it is broken. It was set up to be a test between the best in the world when the best in the world all were in either the US or Europe. That's not true anymore.
Every two years the nattering nabobs of negativism (i.e. the sportswriters in the top post) kvetch and moan about the top players who aren't eligible, but their complaints haven't to my knowledge hurt ticket sales or television ratings. The Solheim Cup is probably the LPGA's most exciting and successful event. As a business model it is certainly not broken.

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
So keep the Solheim Cup once every two years. Don't add another team event in the middle of December that's not on television in the west. But add players from the rest of the world. It should be easy enough to change the format to accommodate three teams. The days of western hemisphere only golf are over, like it or not.
Well, yes, if there were to be a change, I agree that it would be easy enough. Instead of two teams of 12, have three teams of 8, with all players playing every session. After two days of foursomes and four-balls, the top two teams advance to a Sunday showdown of singles matches.
sag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
Isn't Europe in the eastern hemisphere?
You know what I meant -- and you call me a nit picker.

The Solheim Cup this year will be played in the Western hemisphere as it has every in its history except two.

I like the Solheim Cup. It's fun and exciting. I think it could be better if there were a whole world tournament. We learned with the Lexus Cup that it doesn't work to have the Solheim Cup and also a half-assed attempt at an America vs. International tournament. I think we should consider opening up the Solheim Cup. This doesn't make me negative. It's forward thinking.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
Moderator
 
Buzzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Posts: 3,797
Lojo, I post that column only as a point of interest and to let the creative juices of our posters flow in defense of "our" gals.
The only writers I really pay attention to are Tim Roseforte, Ron Sirak and about two or three others.
I do have to say, though, that Alan Shipnuck did mention, in a column once, that he prefers the LPGA to the men. That didn't impress me too much...neither did the fact that he wrote Christina Kim's inglorious book.

Those guys above make up the third string of the junior varsity, n'est-pas?

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Warren, Ohio
Posts: 8,807
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
You know what I meant -- and you call me a nit picker.

The Solheim Cup this year will be played in the Western hemisphere as it has every in its history except two.

I like the Solheim Cup. It's fun and exciting. I think it could be better if there were a whole world tournament. We learned with the Lexus Cup that it doesn't work to have the Solheim Cup and also a half-assed attempt at an America vs. International tournament. I think we should consider opening up the Solheim Cup. This doesn't make me negative. It's forward thinking.
How is anyone supposed to know what you meant?

If you like the Solheim, why are you so set on changing it? There's nothing "forward thinking" about it. It's change for the sake of change.
__________________
Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you have.
MarinePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Golf Course
Posts: 3,390
LEAVE THE SOLHEIM ALONE!!

Honestly...and this is going to sound racist or, at best, provincial...fans of the Solheim Cup are not interested in the Asian players.

IMO, including Asia would diminish the interest in the event. And including "the rest of the world" other than Asia is ridiculous. Who are we talking about....a coupla Aussies at most....Webbie and maybe Hull. Big deal. With Lorena gone bye bye....there are no Latin American players of interest. The Canadians have no one either.

So....LEAVE IT ALONE!
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Golf Course
Posts: 3,390
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Lojo, I post that column only as a point of interest and to let the creative juices of our posters flow in defense of "our" gals.
The only writers I really pay attention to are Tim Roseforte, Ron Sirak and about two or three others.
I do have to say, though, that Alan Shipnuck did mention, in a column once, that he prefers the LPGA to the men. That didn't impress me too much...neither did the fact that he wrote Christina Kim's inglorious book.

Those guys above make up the third string of the junior varsity, n'est-pas?

Viva Annika
I do appreciate your posting the column, Buzz. It generally does generate some good discussion!

I like Sirak....so so on Roseforte....not a Shipnuck fan. The rest of them..AKKKK!

Hey, I hope to see you this fall (November) in Orlando at the Tour Championship at Grand Cypress! It's been too long since we got together, my friend! C'mon!...eh?....yo?
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #17
Elf
Senior Member
 
Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 3,197
Send a message via MSN to Elf
Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
LEAVE THE SOLHEIM ALONE!!

Honestly...and this is going to sound racist or, at best, provincial...fans of the Solheim Cup are not interested in the Asian players.

IMO, including Asia would diminish the interest in the event. And including "the rest of the world" other than Asia is ridiculous. Who are we talking about....a coupla Aussies at most....Webbie and maybe Hull. Big deal. With Lorena gone bye bye....there are no Latin American players of interest. The Canadians have no one either.

So....LEAVE IT ALONE!
Love your answer and I wholly agree, the event was and is a competition between the USA and Europe.

There is one worldwide sports organization that's making millions for the managers, the national associations and the players. FIFA, Soccer international. When they started, they had an event every four years for sixteen teams mostly from Europe, South America and one country from North America. Well managed, almost with out interference with national events, they have grown to one of the biggest sport organizations world wide. Now days soccer is played in every country in the world and FIFA organizes a few events every year.

If some smart group had the brains,the power, and the dream to leave the independence of each Ladies Golf Association and current international competitions alone, and create new interesting international competition worldwide, Ladies golf would explode. Something like Davis Cup in tennis where countries with no elements (competitors with little expectation) would compete against each other until the top teams (maybe four) had a battle in the winter when basically there are no local events. I would love to see 4-8 players from Korea, USA, and maybe Great Britain, Japan, Spain, etc, battle.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Putter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,571
I'm going with leave it alone too. The Solheim is what it is and what it was meant to be.

Oh yes, I'd be just ecstatic if Canada were included - we have so many top golfers here! NOT.

Why don't the Asian countries start their own little competition if they feel left out? It could be Asia against the rest of the world - nobody would care, but hey, they'd have their own tourney!

To tell you the truth, if they changed the Solheim I'd probably watch it as much as I did the Lexus Cup - oh wait, that was never.

Don't mess with the Solheim - it's the SOLHEIM, it is what it is - butt out!
__________________
Putter
Putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #19
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
How is anyone supposed to know what you meant?

If you like the Solheim, why are you so set on changing it? There's nothing "forward thinking" about it. It's change for the sake of change.
Comment was directed at you who posted the comments about Europe being in the eastern hemisphere. I should have said "Golf is no longer just a sport dominated by players from the United States of America, from Great Britain, Ireland, and the countries of western Europe." I hope this clears it up.

I do like the Solheim Cup but I think it can be better.

Sheesh.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 840
One point we all seem to be losing sight of is the fact that the Solheim Cup competition was created by the Solheim family and they set the ground rules. Any major changes would, I hope, have to be approved by the family.
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2 PL2

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!