Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #1

Snowmageddon

Soooooo...they say possibly three feet of snow here in the NYC area and along the Northeast corridor (Amtrak rider much?).

Dang it! Asking the Snow Gods to keep my power on...and of course for no fatalities. Be safe my fellow board members from the northeast.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Contest Statistician

Not even a top 5 of the last 10 years, only way out east is it big.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #3

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Not even a top 5 of the last 10 years, only way out east is it big.
Agreed. On the one hand, happy it wasn't as bad as predicted, but on the other hand somewhat let down.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #4

Now do you want to hear from a New Englander's perspective?

Boston’s 10 biggest snowstorms - Metro - The Boston Globe

A storm to remember: Blizzard of '78 - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com

The indelible memory for those of us who were here then is the Blizzard of '78. What most people don't remember was that it came two weeks after ANOTHER storm that dumped a slightly lesser amount of snow but still ranked (before today) as the 7th snowiest single storm in recorded history in Boston. The storm that hit later is currently #2 in Boston and #11 in Worcester but had the biggest impact because of the leftover piles from the previous storm and because it began during the evening rush hour, stranding many people away from home, often in their cars. The ghostly images of snowbound cars clogging what was then known as Route 128 (now officially part of I-95) along with the iconic sweaters worn on TV by then-governor Michael Dukakis are part of the collective memory of New England.

I was 14 at the time and thus my memories are more age appropriate. I was in charge of the evening paper route on my street and incredibly the paper (the Worcester Evening Gazette, long since folded now into the present day Telegram and Gazette) still came out and still made it to the bottom of my driveway. The bundles from the second day of the storm and the day after were buried and weren't found until later, but I still made the deliveries of subsequent issues, sometimes on skis as our street slowly got back to normal. Between the following week and the scheduled February vacation school was closed for over two weeks, but we had to make up some of the missed days on certain Saturdays between then and June.

The most recent storm to be officially classified as a blizzard was nearly two years ago, 8-9 February 2013, which ranked before today as the 2nd biggest storm to hit Worcester and 5th biggest in Boston. I was due to fly out to visit my girlfriend in Memphis that evening for Chinese New Year (she's from Inner Mongolia and is a genetic researcher at University of Tennessee Heath Sciences) but was forced to stay home that weekend instead. I do still have the YouTube videos saved of the dance performances she was a part of for Memphis' Chinese New Year's festivities and wished I could have been there.

As for today? As of 4pm EST Worcester officially recorded 31" of snow and Boston 20.8" with maybe another inch or two before the storm finally pulls away tonight.

Kevin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WImLU31G2o8

Last edited by IceCat; 01-27-2015 at 08:13 PM.
IceCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:25 PM   #5
Contest Statistician

Yeah I know you got hit bad. Here they told also it was going to be all doom and gloom.

I had about 16 inches by my unofficial estimate. By 11 am today things were cleared out well here.

I remember 78 as while. We are the same age. 2 big snow falls in a row. One of them was 2+ feet in my neighborhood. They never plowed our street after 4 days. It's a small street .There are maybe 40 houses on this street. My father and another neighbor eventually got a private plow to come and do the street. Of course none of the cheap bastards on the street contributed anything. We might still be stuck if it wasn't for my father.

I also remember that if was also very cold for a while. Our street had a deep snow pack basically for January and Feb. Awesome for street hockey.

I live in the same neighborhood now and it is night and day with how they deal with things now. Streets are almost always plowed quickly. Last night and this morning they came around several times.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:19 AM   #6

Worcester indeed has set a snowfall record for a single storm at 34.5". A few smaller towns unofficially topped 3'. The storm's last gasp was still putting snow showers over Boston and the shorelines north and south of the metropolis at this writing so they may equal the 24.9" that fell in the Blizzard of 2013.

Kevin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WImLU31G2o8
IceCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
I remember 78 as while. We are the same age. 2 big snow falls in a row.
You two are just babies. I remember '69 when a Framingham, Mass. huge super market collapsed by the snow load on the roof. A block and a half away from my house. The road was plowed the next day, but the downward entrance to our garage took a while.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #8

1978? 1969? I remember reading about those years in history books.

Here in rural Pennsylvania, we called Snowmageddon "a little bit of weather."
Centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #9

Growing up in Buffalo we had those kinds of snow storms on an annual basis.that was long before TV and the panic driven meteorologists making everyone pee their pantaloons.
I walked to school thru many feet of snow (no school buses back then). If the teachers couldn't make it we'd plod thru the snow back home, change our clothesh and head for Delaware Park with our sleds.

Today, living in the South, if it drops below 65 degrees, or rains, I'm in for the day. Snow was fun years (many) ago, but I've had my fill.

Viva Al Roker
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:35 PM   #10
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
You two are just babies. I remember '69 when a Framingham, Mass. huge super market collapsed by the snow load on the roof. A block and a half away from my house. The road was plowed the next day, but the downward entrance to our garage took a while.
Well, well. It turns out Elf and I lived in the same neck of the woods, back in the day.

Which super market was this? I don't remember that part.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote