Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #1

Cool Rory

I've been reading (and hearing) that the U.S.Open course was soft, thus taking some of the lustre off Rory's win.
Wasn't the course just as soft for all the higher ranked players who finished behind Rory? What might their excuse be for losing if softness is purported to be an excuse for winning???
I'm sick of these bogey writing, alleged golf writers......

Viva Rory
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Donating Member

Maybe only the Europeans noticed the softness? Americans still played like a normal US Open course.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
I've been reading (and hearing) that the U.S.Open course was soft, thus taking some of the lustre off Rory's win.
Wasn't the course just as soft for all the higher ranked players who finished behind Rory? What might their excuse be for losing if softness is purported to be an excuse for winning???

Viva Rory
Yes the course was soft, so it can be debateable about the lowest scoring record.

...But what can not be debated was the 8 shot victory and complete control from round 1-4.

So yes it would have seemed more incredible if second place and below was at even and Rory shot -8, but it is not his fault the course was soft.

However winning a major by 8 Shots is a big deal, it may have been soft but it was still a major, and only the top 10 scored well.

I would have to put this just a notch below Tiger at Pebble Beach. That was complete dominance over Course and Field.

Now lets see Rory take the Open.

Royal St Georges,Kent , The course has its critics (maybe because it is not in Scotland), but I really like those dune sweeped type of courses and wild grasses. Weather always the factor.

Last edited by xman5; 06-20-2011 at 12:31 PM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Contest Statistician

Just don't hit it here.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #5

1st congrats to Rory....a real dominating performance.

I was getting annoyed with the coverage of Rory compared to Tiger this...Tiger that and the next super superstar, etc, etc.

Just let the young man be and time will tell of his golf career.

Let's wait if indeed Rory can win double digit majors and then talk about amazing stardom.

Rory does seem to have great potential, but let's wait and see.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm........how many majors was everyone predicting after Freddy or DLIII won their 1st majors.

I don't think we'll see this a_s licking from the media if Yani wins the next 1, 2 or 3 majors this year.....and she's 22 I think.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
I was getting annoyed with the coverage of Rory compared to Tiger this...Tiger that and the next super superstar, etc, etc.
Yes, me too, but I just ignore it. In this day and age they media wants instant gratification to everything that is occuring now so they can make the big sell. So if they could give him 14 majors this week then they would so they do not have to wait 20 years.

Contrast to another figure that was on the leaderboard. Sergio Garcia, who they let off easy in the commentary, clearly best player to never win a major (lets talk about his famous chokes). Though very famous, never a really likable figure in the US.

But I also think that they keep the Tiger talk to a minimum as possible, he still needs to have some sort of comment.

I think that I enjoy watching the British Open more then the US Open, if only because of the links courses that I really like. It would be fun if Rory can be in the lead with someone like Westwood. Certainly for the English fans.

The Womens British Open might be the most interesting. The question is which way do the go with Carnoustie? I just hope that they do not take the teeth out of it and give them a pitch and putt, which I am afraid that they might since it is run by the LGU. They definately do not want to make the ladies look bad. Even or just the winner under par would be good, the way the US Open should be.

Last edited by xman5; 06-20-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #7

Changing of the guards? Perhaps, but really, who knows. Not even Rory knows what tomorrow will bring. The golf is one thing, but with winning the US Open comes a lot of baggage. He's gonna have to learn to deal with all of that, I'm sure he will but it may take some time.

A Euro hyped golfer is good for the American golfer. All these years they were taught to play for 2nd, Tiger will take care of winning. Every time tiger made a move the rest would just fold up. The Euros were a close knit family. They had a common enemy, the Americans, mainly Tiger. They grew closer as the Americans dominated the rankings. They are now ranked 1,2,3 and 4. The collapse have begun. The enemy is now within. You keep beating me every time and I lose a little love you each time. In the end we won't be able to have a drink together unless the cameras are rolling. The Americans will now have a common enemy and will begin to come together. It's just a cycle. The Americans will start by winning the Ryder Cup....Of course Rory will have to live up the the hype as Tiger has done. In 5 to 10 years when young John Doe out of some City USA hits the scene with 400 yard drives a new cycle will begin.
jumong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #8

I for one hope the gals get beat up at Carnousite and the course shows it's teeth....no shame in a +6 winning score....and if the conditions are brutal...who knows what the scores will be like.

I'd likely score +16 to+20....obviously this is only after 2 rds...cause I'd be in the bar watching on TV after not even coming close to making the cut.

BTW
A neat video of Rory when he was 9.

UTV News - In video: Rory & the washing machine
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post

Viva Rory
I agree. The course was the same for everyone and he won by 8 shots. It it was that easy there would have been 20 guys shooting double digits under par, not one guy.

It seems like every year at the US Open there are those who are out to complaint that the course is too easy, too hard, too wet, too dry, too fast, too slow. They're like Goldlilocks.

The point of the US Open is to test players. Sometimes this is on a wet course that lends itself to low scores. Sometimes it's on a dry windy course that lends itself to higher scores. It doesn't necessarily mean one is bad course or a bad test.

As for Rory, the fact that he is nice and humble and a great representative of golf and of his generation who lets everyone forget differences between countries and the fact that the US hasn't won a major in a long time just makes his win even better.

Last edited by Blue; 06-20-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #10

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post

The Womens British Open might be the most interesting. The question is which way do the go with Carnoustie? I just hope that they do not take the teeth out of it and give them a pitch and putt, which I am afraid that they might since it is run by the LGU.
What,you mean like the way the USGA did for the final round at Oakmont in the women's US Open,last year ?

The good thing about a course like Carnoustie,is that if the wind blows it will be difficult for the powers-that-be to make it a pitch and putt course.

And blow it usually does.

It would be no surprise if there was an attempt to neuter it,though.After all,these are the same people who decided to play the most famous par four in golf as a par five when the WBO was held at St Andrews.

Oh,and well done,Rory ;that will be the first one of many...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X