Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #21
Forum Moderator

In case the LPGA is reading, they can start by paying attention to the pace of these players at Rochester, based on my observations:

Na Yeon Choi
Song Hee Kim
Sandra Gal
Amy Yang
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:45 AM   #22

May I add Michele "The Snail" Redman to this group? She's especially slow on the greens - line it up, back off, line it up, back off, ready to hit, back off....YIKES!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 AM   #23

IMO....I think Rory played too fast...especially on the greens and not examining his putts from the other side of the hole.....he may have done this on purpose to minimize his nerves and just said.....let's play as if this was a rd w/ the boys on the weekend.

Slow play is more noticeable live vs. TV .......as TV is panning back and forth between players.

Yes, I think it's unfair to the faster players to be on the clock when only 1 player is slow.

I've never been to a Futures Tour event but assume it's similar to the women's Canadian tour. Few players have caddies and I have not found the play to be slow.

I think some of the players become too reliant on their caddies once they're on the LPGA and play under more pressure.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:13 AM   #24
Forum Moderator

Slow play is not really apparent on TV. That is true.

I don't think caddes lining up putts is a big source of slow play. It might actually speed things up. Natalie Gulbis, to name a marquee player, depends a lot on her caddie to line her up, even on tee shots, but she's not slow. He lines her up and she hits it. What slows things down is players looking for hours at every single putt no matter how close from the hole, picking it up, marking it, pacing it off, examining every angle eight times. And there are player that can't seem to take a shot anywhere without testing the wind speed six times, changing clubs three times and checking the yardage book a dozen.

Last edited by Blue; 06-22-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #25
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
I absolutely agree all this lining up should be cut back. Also, how about those players who continually back off a shot, there is one in particular who does this. A lot of the problem starts before the LPGA, I've watched 'paint dry' at the Futures Tour and it has to start earlier than that.
Yes, because that is the way that they have been taught. They are the only ones that matter. As has been said this is very evident in the players that wait in the fairway then do not even begin to think about their shot until the green is clear.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #26
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
And there are player that can't seem to take a shot anywhere without testing the wind speed six times, changing clubs three times and checking the yardage book a dozen.
I remember watching the tournament the other week and somebody did exactly that. Can't remember who it was. The caddie seemed to be getting annoyed as was I. He gave his opinion and she kept changing clubs and asking him again, like things were going to change. And she was in the middle of the fairway.

Too bad I can't remember who. Statefarm 4th round if anyone remembers it.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #27

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I don't think smaller fields will change anything. As mentioned above, the slowest play I ever witnessed in person was the 2010 USWO at Oakmont on Saturday when the field was down to 70-some and they were playing in groups of two (I think, or maybe it was three because of the rain delay .. I can't remember).

It's very obvious who the slow players are and it only takes a few of them to bring the entire field to its knees. Put a dozen of them in a tournament and you're looking at 5 hour rounds.

What's the solution? It's not limited fields because some of these snails are top-ranked players and will be in any limited field.

I think it's to put actual teeth in the penalties for slow play.

Here is the LPGA slow play rule:
LPGA.com

In my experience timing does not happen nearly as much as it should. Players should be put on the clock far more often than they are and the LPGA should start handing out stroke penalties and DQs to the slow players and they should widely publicize everyone who is put on the clock, penalized and DQ'd.

Now, these are LPGA rules. Are they in effect at the USGA-run USWO? I don't know.
The USGA has their own Pace of Play policy for their Championships, though they are very much similar to Tour Rules.

They have what is called Pace of Play Time Chart (aka Time Par) where they specify where a group should be ...down to the minute...on each hole and inidicating how long each hole should take to play. It's conceded that it's impossible to maintain the initial starting times....e.g., sending players off in 10 or 11 minute intervals, it's impossible for 3 players to play a hole in 10 or 11 minutes. So, each hole is "rated" taking into account length, obstacles, etc. and given a Time par, which can be anywhere around 10 mins for a par 3 to 18 minutes for a difficult par 5. Then you add it all up and the total is what the pace of play should be for 18 holes.

I think the USGA has more Rules officials monitoring pace of play than the LPGA does. They do hand out penalties, but slow play is so widespread that each group getting a warning has already slowed things to a snail's pace before any penalties and the time par is out the window.

Last edited by LoJo; 06-22-2011 at 11:08 AM.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #28
Forum Moderator

Thank you for the explanation, LoJo.

I also found this:
Pick up the pace: LPGA rookie tagged for slow play - Devil Ball Golf - GolfBlog - Yahoo! Sports

so they are handing out penalties, or at least a penalty.

(above photos were from Q-school, not the Kia Classic ... just for illustrative purposes)

This is from the 15th hole, Round 1 of Kia Classic, the round where she was penalized for Slow Play:
http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Shasta+...ne/0T6ap1x4UCZ

ARRRGGGGHHHHHH!

Last edited by Blue; 06-22-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #29

Lining the player up is slowing play if the player has been dithering around deciding what club to play and all the rest of it.

I know they don't play for money (ahem!), but how come there are excellent scratch and low handicap club golfers who can play a whole round without any lining up assistance? Why does it suddenly become necessary once you turn pro?
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #30

Well, the "lining up" is allowed under the Rules of Golf, so the LPGA would have to make a Local Rule stopping it. You never see this lining up stuff on the PGA Tour. I hate it!

This stupidity and slow play caused by fiddling over shots....checking conditions from every conceivable angle for wind or breaks on the greens...discussing options with the caddie on and on, etc is the cause of this. Plus, marking and remarking the ball so that the line they've drawn on the ball is precisely lined up to the hole or whatever. Of course, it's all allowed under the rules, but what ISN'T allowed is unduly delaying play. And that's what the cumulative effect of all these slow pokes ends up doing.

The slow LPGA players need to be called out and identified and shamed into playing faster. The PGA players don't seem to have any issues with naming names. Jim Furyk, Ben Crane, Glen "All" Day, et al. JB Holmes, who's also a turtle, was quoted as saying something like "I'm playing for a million dollars, so I don't care how slow I am." So...there you go...they don't care because they're not being penalized STROKES.

In addition to the names mentioned on here, I would like to add that MANY of the Korean players are ridiculously slow. Also, Tseng spends too much time yapping with the caddie. I can't remember the tourney, but I had it recorded and couldn't believe the time she took to putt on a hole. Yes, it was about a 100 foot putt and difficult, but it was like 3 minutes from the time she arrived at the green until she pulled the trigger. I ran the recording back and checked the time. Ridiculous! Maybe she got the idea from Lorena who was another one who spent too much time analyzing the rotation of the earth on its axis with her caddie. CKim once posted on Twitter about a "chick" (player on tour) who she played with who was "Slower than evolution." And she named names! I think that was Tammie Darden. I believe Yokomine has also been called out as being one you don't want to be behind or paired with. CALL them out!! Embarrass them! Peer pressure.

No one...NO one wants to be out playing golf for 5+ hours. Coincidentally, the latest issue of GOLF magazine has a long feature with stats and polls, etc on Slow play in the game.

But...there's only one answer and none of the Tours seem to want to do it. Follow their own Rules and penalize strokes...simple.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote