Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
What,you mean like the way the USGA did for the final round at Oakmont in the women's US Open,last year ?

The good thing about a course like Carnoustie,is that if the wind blows it will be difficult for the powers-that-be to make it a pitch and putt course.

And blow it usually does.

It would be no surprise if there was an attempt to neuter it,though.After all,these are the same people who decided to play the most famous par four in golf as a par five when the WBO was held at St Andrews.

Oh,and well done,Rory ;that will be the first one of many...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
I'm torn on this. I don't like to see famous courses watered down for the girls but I also am tired of seeing LPGA playing five and six hour rounds like we saw at St. Andrews and like we almost got to at Oakmont last year. It was tortuous last year at times with 30 minute+ wait times on tees. Will shortening the course change the pace of play? I don't know. Something has to be done.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #12

The gals can take a lesson from Rory.

I know he had a large lead....but could not believe how fast he was playing. I think on many occasions on long putts or chips he didn`t walk to the other side of the hole to survey the putt....this is pretty unbelievable.

If the weather is bad at the WBO....there will be 5.5+ hr rds for sure.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #13

Thumbs up

Maybe the ladies could take a lesson from Rory on the "art of speedy play...and...its results"
Rory didn't bother to re-mark his ball on several greens...and he sure as hell didn't waste any time standing over it before pulling the trigger. Dave Stockton taught him well.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
Contest Statistician

It would be no surprise if there was an attempt to neuter it,though.After all,these are the same people who decided to play the most famous par four in golf as a par five when the WBO was held at St Andrews.
We had a long discussion about that on here. A travesty.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #15

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I'm torn on this. I don't like to see famous courses watered down for the girls but I also am tired of seeing LPGA playing five and six hour rounds like we saw at St. Andrews and like we almost got to at Oakmont last year. It was tortuous last year at times with 30 minute+ wait times on tees. Will shortening the course change the pace of play? I don't know. Something has to be done.
Shortening a course will make wait times longer in some cases. Longer hitters can possibly still reach par 5's (that used to be par 4s) and will wait for the green to clear.

The LPGA is the WORST tour for slow play. Something has to be done? Yeah...start giving out penalties for slow play!!! It's ridiculous.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #16
NTB

I'm with Buzzer on this I think they are lazy and just write crap for a paycheck.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #17

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
You're going to love Carnoustie,then.

I don't know what the answer is to the slow pace of play on the women's game : fines,disqualifications,smaller fields,outlawing that ridiculous practice where they have to be lined-up by their caddy.

The problem with making a tough course as easy as possible,is that people notice.And it plays into the hands of those who dismiss the women's game as irrelevant.

I'd much rather see the women play a course as it should be played,and have 6 or 7 over win,than neuter it just so you can have a bunch of players under par at the finish...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 06-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #18
Forum Moderator

You're going to love Carnoustie,then.

I don't know what the answer is to the slow pace of play on the women's game : fines,disqualifications,smaller fields,outlawing that ridiculous practice where they have to be lined-up by their caddy.

The problem with making a tough course as easy as possible,is that people notice.And it plays into the hands of those who dismiss the women's game as irrelevant.

I'd much rather see the women play a course as it should be played,and have 6 or 7 over win,than neuter it just so you can have a bunch of players under par at the finish...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
I don't think smaller fields will change anything. As mentioned above, the slowest play I ever witnessed in person was the 2010 USWO at Oakmont on Saturday when the field was down to 70-some and they were playing in groups of two (I think, or maybe it was three because of the rain delay .. I can't remember).

It's very obvious who the slow players are and it only takes a few of them to bring the entire field to its knees. Put a dozen of them in a tournament and you're looking at 5 hour rounds.

What's the solution? It's not limited fields because some of these snails are top-ranked players and will be in any limited field.

I think it's to put actual teeth in the penalties for slow play.

Here is the LPGA slow play rule:
LPGA.com

In my experience timing does not happen nearly as much as it should. Players should be put on the clock far more often than they are and the LPGA should start handing out stroke penalties and DQs to the slow players and they should widely publicize everyone who is put on the clock, penalized and DQ'd.

Now, these are LPGA rules. Are they in effect at the USGA-run USWO? I don't know.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #19

Perhaps peer pressure would work, though it hasn't so far! If a group is put on the clock because of one player, then the other player/s should be saying something. Okay, so it puts slow coach off their rhythm, tough luck, but if it's done more often then there may be an improvement. Let the LPGA name and shame the players who offend, that might buck their ideas up a bit as well.

I just don't understand how players can sometimes be waiting in the fairway waiting for the group ahead and they aren't working out what shot/club they will hit. So many only seem to think about things once the way is clear.

I absolutely agree all this lining up should be cut back. Also, how about those players who continually back off a shot, there is one in particular who does this. A lot of the problem starts before the LPGA, I've watched 'paint dry' at the Futures Tour and it has to start earlier than that.

No wonder people can't be bothered watching women's golf.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #20
Donating Member

The men play slow as well, it certainly has happened. It only takes one player with a wild shot then needing a great deal of time to examine options, get a ruling, flip flop over what club to play. Or Bubba looking to drive a par 4.

What Rory did that was nice was while Yang was taking his turn, Rory had decided what to hit and just stepped up.

I got the vibe that Rory implemented the go quick as a plan to combat nervousness over putts in particular. He hinted at this in an interview and Stockton does not have his students take any practice putts. Does anyone know if he was always this fast putting?
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote