Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #21
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Thanks BKB. I rechecked Maria photos and I thought that maybe her towering beautiful legs had some thing to do with the media comments. Then I checked a photo of the Eiffel Tower. No way . No similarity at all.

As for Sabine Lisicki. I understand she was very close to a big upset against No. 3 Zvonareva when she started feeling ill. Too bad.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #22
Elf

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
lol! So who is your pick? I don't do picks on my blog, but here I will say...

...for the women...

1. Caroline Wozniacki
2. Victoria Azarenka
3. Maria Sharapova
i will go with S.Peng. The only last name I can spell.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:56 AM   #23

Caroline Wozniacki

Although she has yet to win a Major title, I had Caroline Wozniacki as the favorite at Roland Garros until beaten. She had just come off a clay court title in Brussels where she defeated defending Roland Garros champion Francesca Schiavone along the way. But now that Caroline has lost in the third round to Daniela Hantuchova, along with Samantha Stosur losing to Gisela Dulko, the top half of the draw has become quite intriguing.

Jelena Jankovic

Who comes out of the top half of the draw might be determined by the upcoming Schiavone vs. Jelena Jankovic match. Schiavone is the reigning champion of the event, but has not won a title this year. However, in her last two tournaments, she reached the quarterfinals in Rome and the semifinals in Brussels, losing to Samantha Stosur and Caroline Wozniacki respectively. Both of those players are now out of Roland Garros. But Jelena is a tough draw. She is a former #1 player who can beat anybody on a given day. Jelena leads their head-to-head 3 to 1, but they have not played since 2009 when Jelena beat Francesca at Marabella on clay. No matter which player wins, they will have their hands full in the next round with the Vera Zvonareva-Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova winner. Things are really starting to get interesting.

Marion Bartoli

But what would add an especially interesting angle would be if Marion Bartoli could advance to the final from the top half of the draw. In the Open Era (starting in 1968), only one woman representing France, Mary Pierce in 2000, has won the Roland Garros singles title. Pierce also was a finalist in 1994 and 2005, losing to Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario and Justine Henin. Bartoli has already been in the final of Wimbledon, but should she reach the Roland Garros final, she would have all of France cheering her on.

Singles – Third Round
(28) Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) d. (1) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 61 63
(3) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) d. Anastasia Rodionova (AUS) 62 63
(5) Francesca Schiavone (ITA) d. (29) Peng Shuai (CHN) 63 12 ret. (viral illness)
Gisela Dulko (ARG) d. (8) Samantha Stosur (AUS) 64 16 63
(10) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) d. Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA) 62 62
(11) Marion Bartoli (FRA) d. (17) Julia Goerges (GER) 36 62 64
(13) Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) d. Rebecca Marino (CAN) 60 64
(14) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) d. (Q) Nuria Llagostera Vives (ESP) 36 63 63

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:15 AM   #24
Elf

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
i will go with S.Peng. The only last name I can spell.
Francesca Schiavone advanced to the fourth round of Roland Garros after her opponent Peng Shuai was forced to retire due to illness. Too bad.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:24 AM   #25

Li Na

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
Francesca Schiavone advanced to the fourth round of Roland Garros after her opponent Peng Shuai was forced to retire due to illness. Too bad.
True...but Li Na is still in it...her surname (Li) is even easier to spell than Peng.

---Bruce Lee

Old 05-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #26

Maria Sharapova

Maria Sharapova took another step toward completing the career Grand Slam, defeating Taiwan’s Chan Yung-Jan 6-2 6-3 to advance to the fourth round at Roland Garros 2011. But the path to the title will prove a difficult one as the bottom half of the women’s singles draw is full of legitimate title contenders. All four bottom half match-ups feature players who have been playing well in 2011.

Masha leads her H2H against Agnieszka Radwanska 6 to 1, but has been pushed to three sets in two of the last three matchups. Still, it is Masha’s match to win or lose. If she serves well and is patient when she needs to be, look for the three time Major champion to advance.

A very intriguing match. On paper, Vika should not have any problems with Makarova. But Makarova is one of those players who can look ordinary 85% of the time and Top 5 15% of the time. The question is, which one will show up. If the 85% Makarova shows up, then no problem for Vika. If the 15% Makarova shows up, there could be an upset. Vika has recently won Marbella on clay and reached the Madrid final on clay. But she also has retired twice recently in matches with injury, including against Masha in Rome after winning the first set.

The player who beat Vika in the Madrid final, and whom nobody wants to play, is Petra Kvitova. She has really come into her own, not only winning in Madrid, but also beating Kim Clijsters earlier this year in Paris at the Open GDF Suez. Li Na will have her hands full trying to stop Kvitova. Petra beat Li Na in convincing fashion in Madrid. For this match to go in Li’s favor, she will have to cut down on her errors and hope Petra comes in a little off her game, which she does occassionally.

People have been talking more about Andrea’s dancing and personality, but make no mistake about her chances to win this title. She isn’t afraid of anybody, having beaten both Caroline Wozniacki and Maria Sharapova this year, although Masha exacted revenge a few months later beating Andrea and retiring the Petko Dance. If Andrea and Masha get by their round 4 opponents, we will have another chance to see them battle it out. Andrea's win over Masha came at the last Major, the Australian Open. I’m sure Masha, who doesn’t seem amused by Andrea’s dancing after matches, would like the chance to knock Andrea out of Roland Garros.

Singles – Third Round
(4) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. (30) Roberta Vinci (ITA) 63 62
(6) Li Na (CHN) d. Sorana Cirstea (ROU) 62 62
(7) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. (Q) Chan Yung-Jan (TPE) 62 63
(9) Petra Kvitova (CZE) d. Vania King (USA) 64 62
(12) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) d. (21) Yanina Wickmayer (BEL) 64 64
(15) Andrea Petkovic (GER) d. (24) Jarmila Gajdosova (AUS) 62 46 63
Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) d. (16) Kaia Kanepi (EST) 64 75
(25) Maria Kirilenko (RUS) d. Arantxa Rus (NED) 61 61

MARIA SHARAPOVA

VICTORIA AZARENKA

LI NA

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 05-28-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #27

Although her Roland Garros 2011 campaign ended earlier than expected, here is a fun Q&A video taken during the tournament. Who does Samantha think is the sexiest male player? Watch and find out

---Bruce Lee

Old 05-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #28

Daniela Hantuchova: Road To Roland Garros

Daniela Hantuchova was knocked out of Roland Garros 2011 in a tough three setter with former champion Svetlana Kuznetsova, but not before Daniela scored the biggest upset of the tournament, taking out world #1 Caroline Wozniacki.

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 05-30-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #29

Caroline Wozniacki: Road To Roland Garros

Caroline didn’t score her first Major title at Roland Garros 2011, but she is always upbeat and happy. Look for a deep run by Caro at Wimbledon. If she wins at the All-England Club, her past Major shortcomings will be forgotten.

---Bruce Lee

Old 05-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #30

Marion Bartoli: Road To Roland Garros

I have to admit to rooting for Marion to win Roland Garros (now that my favorites Kim Clijsters and Jelena Jankovic are out). It would be fun to see a French-born player win on the women’s side. However, if she ends up facing Maria Sharapova or Li Na in the final, I might be torn between a favorite (Li or Sharapova) and the sentimental choice of a Frenchwoman winning.

---Bruce Lee