Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #11

more pics here: Kim Clijsters, Maria Sharapova Advance At Roland Garros 2011; Ana Ivanovic Ousted In First Round Fairways And Forehands

Ana Ivanovic

2008 seems like forever ago. Ana Ivanovic was sitting on top of the world as Roland Garros champion and the #1 ranked player in the world. Today at Roland Garros, she suffered her 4th one and done loss of the year (along with the Australian Open, Dubai and Madrid), losing to 7-6 (3) 0-6 6-2. Although her plus/minus winners to unforced errors was only -6, not good but still not out of the question to win, 45 unforced errors is inexcusable, even with 39 winners. 51% first serves also will not get the job done. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Ana needs to call Heinz Gunthardt and rehire him as her coach. He did wonders with her game last year, helping her to two late season titles.

Maria Sharapova

There were no such problems for either Maria Sharapova or Kim Clijsters, both in search of their first Roland Garros title. A title for Sharapova would give her the career Grand Slam. A title for Clijsters would give her three straight Major championships, to go along with the 2010 US Open and the 2011 Australian Open. Masha defeated Mirjana Lucic 6-3 6-0 by controlling points against a very shaky, error-prone Lucic. Masha didn’t really need to go for much as Lucic couldn’t find the court. Kimmie also won, defeating Anastasiya Yakimova 6-2 6-3. Although this was a good win coming back for Kimmie, she faced 12 break points, with Yakimova breaking three times. Clijsters countered with 6 breaks. But 33 unforced errors is not a prescription for future success. I give Kimmie a break for coming directly into Roland Garros off an injury, but if she wants to win this tournament, her game needs to heal quickly.

Kim Clijsters

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
wow, BKB. Welcome to the conspirancy club. You are with plenty of good company in this DB and outside of it.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:15 AM   #13

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
I would never write this on my blog but I will write it here...Bob's conspiracy theory...ok, the thigh is sore from her last event in Brussels, which she won but was taken to three sets in the final by Peng Shuai...however, here's my conspiracy theory...the knock on Caroline is that despite her #1 ranking, she has never won a Major...her only final has been the 2009 US Open (losing to Kim Clijsters)...no Major finals in 2010...combined with the fact that the current #2 Kim Clijsters has won the last two Majors (and the year end championship)...make some people question if Caroline is really #1...

...my conspiracy theory is that the wrap gives her built in sympathy/excuse if she doesn't win...Kim Clijsters is coming in off an injury...Justine Henin is retired...Serena and Venus are injured...more than ever before, the stars are aligned for her to win a Major (no disrespect to Maria Sharapova, Petra Kvitova and Victoria Azarenka, all playing well right now)...if Caroline doesn't win this time, some eyebrows will be raised...so I guess I'm wondering if the thigh wrap is milking it for effect...she sure looked fine in round 1...
That's an interesting theory.

She will come off as an inspirational figure,fighting through the pain,if she wins ;and a determined competitor,heroically battling injury,if she loses.

There's no downside to it.

Or,it could just be a bit of a strain.

I hear Lee Westwood is going to play the US Open with his arm in a sling...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 05-25-2011, 08:04 AM   #14

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
That's an interesting theory.

She will come off as an inspirational figure,fighting through the pain,if she wins ;and a determined competitor,heroically battling injury,if she loses.

There's no downside to it.

Or,it could just be a bit of a strain.

I hear Lee Westwood is going to play the US Open with his arm in a sling...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
lol! So who is your pick? I don't do picks on my blog, but here I will say...

...for the women...

1. Caroline Wozniacki
2. Victoria Azarenka
3. Maria Sharapova

...the dudes...

1. Novak Djokovic
2. Rafael Nadal
3. Everybody else

...but of course, I'm happy to be wrong if Kimmie wins! But coming in off injury on a surface that doesn't suit her impatience...which is a shame, because she has the baseline power game to win Roland Garros...but can she fight that urge to rush points...

---Bruce Lee

Old 05-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #15

Samantha Stosur

Don’t look now, but Samantha Stosur just might be revving her engine at the right time to win her first Major, destroying Simona Halep 6-0 6-2 in the second round of Roland Garros 2011. With all due respect to Simona, the path will undoubtedly get tougher for Samantha, but her 21 winners and sharp play combined with her history of strong play on the terre battue make Samantha a real threat. Samantha also took a moment to talk to Tennis Australia to talk about courts being built in her homeland.

Caroline Wozniacki

Another favorite to win, maybe the top favorite, Caroline Wozniacki defeated Aleksandra Wozniack 6-3 7-6 (6). It wasn’t the cleanest win for Caroline, as she committed an uncharacteristic 24 unforced errors. Although she says it isn’t a factor, perhaps her strained thigh is more of a hindrance than she is letting on. But fighting off three sets points in the second set against Aleksandra was not a scenario I would have expected for Caroline in this match. On the other hand, sometimes Major winners take different paths to a title. Very often there are unexpectedly tough matches and scares along the way. As recently as this year’s first Major, the Australian Open, Kim Clijsters labored through a few surprisingly stiff challenges on her way to the championship. The important thing is to win and keep advancing. Caroline did that and moves on.

Singles - Second Round
(1) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. (Q) Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN) 63 76(6)
(3) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) d. (Q) Sabine Lisicki (GER) 46 75 75
(5) Francesca Schiavone (ITA) d. Vesna Dolonts (RUS) 61 62
(8) Samantha Stosur (AUS) d. Simona Halep (ROU) 60 62
(10) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) d. Vera Dushevina (RUS) 63 62
(11) Marion Bartoli (FRA) d. (Q) Olga Govortsova (BLR) 64 67(1) 62
(13) Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) d. Irina-Camelia Begu (ROU) 61 61
(14) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) d. (Q) Mona Barthel (GER) 60 76(5)
(17) Julia Goerges (GER) d. Lucie Safarova (CZE) 26 75 62
(28) Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) d. Sara Errani (ITA) 61 62
(29) Peng Shuai (CHN) d. Polona Hercog (SLO) 75 61
Gisela Dulko (ARG) d. (32) Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL) 64 62
Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA) d. Varvara Lepchenko (USA) 63 26 63
Rebecca Marino (CAN) d. María José Martínez Sánchez (ESP) 26 63 63
Anastasia Rodionova (AUS) d. Edina Gallovits-Hall (ROU) 61 64
(Q) Nuria Llagostera Vives (ESP) d. Alizé Cornet (FRA) 60 62

---Bruce Lee

Old 05-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #16

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
lol! So who is your pick? I don't do picks on my blog, but here I will say...

...for the women...

1. Caroline Wozniacki
2. Victoria Azarenka
3. Maria Sharapova

...the dudes...

1. Novak Djokovic
2. Rafael Nadal
3. Everybody else

...but of course, I'm happy to be wrong if Kimmie wins! But coming in off injury on a surface that doesn't suit her impatience...which is a shame, because she has the baseline power game to win Roland Garros...but can she fight that urge to rush points...
Can I still pick Ana ?

My pick for the women's title is..Francesca Schiavone.I know,it's a big ask to repeat at the French Open,but she looked imperious yesterday.

The place is made for her.

For the men's title..it's almost impossible to look past Novak Djokovic.

So I won't.

His match with Del Potro,on Friday,should be fun.

A bit of an outsider on the men's side ? That big Russian lad,Mikhail Youzhny...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 05-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #17

Maria Sharapova

How good was 17-year old Caroline Garcia in her match with Maria Sharapova in the second round of Roland Garros 2011? So good that none other than the legendary Martina Navratilova tweeted that one day Caroline will be the #1 ranked player in the world. That might happen one day, but unfortunately her great play was not good enough to beat Masha on this day. Masha already has been the #1 ranked player in the world and is seeking the career Grand Slam in Paris. She knows how to fight back and she did. After finding herself reeling and down 3-6 1-4, Masha won 11 straight games, focusing and reducing her errors, finally emerging victorious 3-6 6-4 6-0.

65 errors. That’s all you need to know about Kim Clijsters’ game in her second round loss to Arantxa Rus. Kimmie managed 28 winners and 65 errors for an almost unbelievable -37 difference. It’s actually a testament to the rest of her game that she actually held two match points in the second set. But after losing those opportunities, the upset was on as Kim disintegrated. But is this entirely unexpected? Maybe so soon and to this player. But Kim came straight into Roland Garros off an injury with no match play for a month. Her impatience on points is also not suited to clay. Although I believe, and the last two Majors, the US Open and Australian Open showed, that Kim when healthy and playing her best is superior to every player left in the women’s draw, even she cannot just think she can come into Roland Garros and conquer the clay with zero match play preparation.

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 05-27-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #18
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Hi BKB: In your last posts you have photos of Maria, I now know her nickname is Masha (learn something every day). I read some where that her dress on those photos was designed based on the Eiffel Tower. I spend a while looking at Masha ( not a big sacrifice) but I just do not understand what the tower has to do with the dress. Could you clarify?
Also, by this question you will understand I do not know much about tennis (as if you did not know that from way back). One of the ladies was about do win her match with a big upset. Something happen and she had to be taken from the court in a stretcher. Do you have a video of the last couple games of the match?
TBM.

Last edited by Elf; 05-27-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #19

She prefers Maria, but her fans have called her Masha for so long it just is habit...it's not so much Masha that she doesn't like...it's when Americans mispronounce it as Marsha...Masha explains here...

...I had heard about the Eiffel Tower thing...the only thing I can guess is the crisscrossing yellow lines on the dress (hard to tell from far away)...looking like the crisscrossing beams of the Tower...

...btw...in case you are curious from the pictures...Maria is 6' 2"

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 05-27-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #20

It was German player Sabine Lisicki who left in distress. Even before the match ended she was having issues with dizziness and double vision. They even took her blood pressure during the match.

This is the second time I can remember Lisicki requiring assistance at the end of a match. She injured her ankle at the end of a match at the 2009 US Open and needed to be wheelchaired off. Lisicki was once a strong rising player with a big, powerful serve but injuries have stalled her career.

---Bruce Lee