Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #1

Pat Summitt Diagnosed With Onset Of Dementia

This hit me hard. I absolutely love Pat Summitt. She is one of the towering figures in women's sports. I hope for the best. I hope this remains manageable and doesn't lead to Alzheimer's. Best wishes to Coach Summitt.

From the AP:

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Tennessee women's basketball coach Pat Summitt has been diagnosed with early onset dementia.

In a statement from Summitt released by the university on Tuesday the Hall of Fame coach said plans coach the Lady Vols during the 2011-12 season, but may have some "limitations." She said that she went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., in May.

The Knoxville News Sentinel first reported Summitt's condition.

The 59-year-old Summitt told the newspaper she plans to rely on medication and mental exercises to manage the progressive condition that could lead to Alzheimer's. She planned to meet with the Lady Volunteers on Tuesday afternoon to inform them of the diagnosis.

Summitt has coached 37 seasons at Tennessee and has 1,071 career victories and eight national championships.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Forum Moderator

I just read this as well. Unfortunately, in this video she refers to her condition as "dementia, Alzheimer's type."

Video: Pat Summitt on her dementia diagnosis - CBSSports.com

Very sad. It's such a horrible disease.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #3

Truly a sad story. Prayers are with her
Old 08-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
What a gutsy Lady to openly inform of her illness to the public when she is only 59. "Dementia, Alzheimer's type." could be years away (perhaps 10 or most probably 15-20) before it can stop normal behavior, or could be a few months (very, very, very, small chance). At any rate I wish the best for such a brave woman to remain "sane" for a long time.

Two comments:
1) With all the new medical techniques, Doctors can diagnostic "Dementia, Alzheimer's type symptoms" twenty years before it happens. There is nothing yet to cure it. Is it worth knowing about it? I know about it because my brother-in-law died of Alzheimer because he forgot how to swallow and choked. I knew of his illness way before anybody (twenty years or so), but decided not to tell his immediate family. Ten years with out every body suffering (and me playing and winning poker games with him and taking his money, LOL) and his family enjoying a normal life, until the illness was obvious and the suffering began. I consulted at least ten Doctors and all agreed: There was nothing to stop or slow Alzheimer. Thats why I kept my mouth shut. Now it maybe different.
2) This is a "dangerbob" type of comment: Mrs. Roberto Dennis got a call from her husband medical laboratory. "Mrs Dennis, we have a huge problem and we hope you can help us". "What is it" answered Mrs. Dennis.
"We have two clients, a Mr. Roberto Dennis and a Mr. Dennis Roberto and we have the results for the two patients and both are very serious, but we are not sure who is who; one has a very contagious AIDS syndrome and the other a very severe case of Alzheimer"
"What can I do" answered desperately Mrs. Dennis. The nurse replied: "Until we get our files right send your husband shopping downtown, if he comes back, please don't fool around with him"

Last edited by Elf; 08-25-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote