Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #21

Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
Hahahaha! What does Morgan has to do with all of these? It looks like it's the opposite. Oprah is promoting her show in Australia at the expense of the Australian government.
OK, I'm pretty sure I can translate what you meant there (in red) - Morgan has NOTHING to do with it, that's just the point. IF....IF she was approached by the Aussie government to promote golf in Australia, would you be ok with it? Oprah is the biggest thing since sliced bread as far as daytime talk show hosts go, so why not? It's not "at the expense" of the Australian government - AT the expense? They already have this money in their tourism budget - get this through your head - they are spending TOURISM DOLLARS to promote their country, not her show! She's going out as the #1 daytime talk show host, I think it's a little late for her to be promoting the show! I give up actually - if you've got a beef with Oprah I guess that's your problem - it could have been anybody (thus the Morgan reference) but you don't seem to get it through your thick skull that they've enlisted the help of someone EVERYBODY knows to help them. Sheesh.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #22

Originally Posted by Putter View Post
OK, I'm pretty sure I can translate what you meant there (in red) - Morgan has NOTHING to do with it, that's just the point. IF....IF she was approached by the Aussie government to promote golf in Australia, would you be ok with it? Oprah is the biggest thing since sliced bread as far as daytime talk show hosts go, so why not? It's not "at the expense" of the Australian government - AT the expense? They already have this money in their tourism budget - get this through your head - they are spending TOURISM DOLLARS to promote their country, not her show! She's going out as the #1 daytime talk show host, I think it's a little late for her to be promoting the show! I give up actually - if you've got a beef with Oprah I guess that's your problem - it could have been anybody (thus the Morgan reference) but you don't seem to get it through your thick skull that they've enlisted the help of someone EVERYBODY knows to help them. Sheesh.
Hahaha! If you keep doing this to me, I'll cancel my beer feast for you in 2011. And get this in your head...where did those TOURISM DOLLARS come from? From the taxpayers of Australia! Oh I got it...you're a diehard fan of Oprah Winfrey!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:29 PM   #23

DB...last comment on this subject, and I hope you actually GET IT this time. Yes, the money came from the taxpayers....as it does EVERY year...they set a budget for tourism dollars - this year is no different than any other year - they didn't suddenly come up with all this money to give to Oprah Winfrey! No, I'm not a diehard fan of Oprah, but I think this is a good idea - you don't, and that's ok, just quit making it sound like this is the only time Australia spent money on a tourism "tactic".

DB, I've saved all your posts about buying me beer - have lawyers lined up if you don't go through with it. Planning on suing for "breach of contract" if there's no beer in 2011.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #24
Contest Statistician

Governments do stuff like this all the time with their advertising budgets - in P.E.I. (Prince Edward Island - eastern Canada) the government there had Regis & Kathy Lee do their show there for a week - apparently the revenue that generated in tourism is double what they paid. Show it off and they will come.
You mean Anne of Green Gables wasn't enough.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #25

DB...last comment on this subject, and I hope you actually GET IT this time. Yes, the money came from the taxpayers....as it does EVERY year...they set a budget for tourism dollars - this year is no different than any other year - they didn't suddenly come up with all this money to give to Oprah Winfrey! No, I'm not a diehard fan of Oprah, but I think this is a good idea - you don't, and that's ok, just quit making it sound like this is the only time Australia spent money on a tourism "tactic".

DB, I've saved all your posts about buying me beer - have lawyers lined up if you don't go through with it. Planning on suing for "breach of contract" if there's no beer in 2011.
Oh...please don't give up on me! I don't know what to do on this board without you. Having Oprah to promote tourism in Australia is one thing...but taking her 300 fans at the expense of the Australian taxpayers is another thing. What are they going to do when they get to Australia? Hunt for Crocodile Dundee? If you aren't a diehard Oprah fan, then why did you compare her to Morgan? I think your're an Oprahnut! Just like the old "Boola" or "Wienuts" when you criticized Michelle Wie they used to get upset. When you watch her Talk Show, do you get an Oprahgasm?
Her and the Donald have the biggest "ego"...they always want to show their faces on TV and magazines. Oprah even have a magazine publication called "O" so she can put her face on the cover in every issue. LOL

You don't have to sue me...I'll get you drunk! Besides, according to Judge Judy, there is no contract unless there's "meeting of the minds" and both parties sign the agreement! LOL
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #26

I didn't compare Oprah to Morgan, I was just suggesting that you'd be ok with it if someone YOU liked did this.

Regarding the beer, I'll just take your word for it - meeting with your mind is a scary thought.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #27

Tiger got paid $3 million to play in a tournament in Australia. After the tournament the golf suits over there said it was a real success. They more than earned the money back back and they wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
HOWEVER....that was before the Thanksgiving Day celebration.....whether their opinion is the same today, I don't know.

I would think that $3 million for Oprah and her entourage pales in comparison to $3 M for one person.

As for me, I watch Tiger every time he is on the T&V....I can't recall EVER watching an Oprah show....

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #28

Apparently he is going back to defend in Australia later this year. I can guarantee they'll still turn out in numbers to see him.

From what I've read some hotels in Perth have offered accommodation for free IF they decide to visit the west. Also Oprah and John Travolta have been working on this for about a year, so you have to know the Oz tourist people have been involved for a long time regarding the logistics.

If a percentage of those 300 decide to go back to Australia for a vacation, or any of their friends, colleagues, relations or other viewers visit as a result of the publicity, it'll have been worth the effort and money.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #29

Remeber the old saying; "Without advertising something terrible happens................nothing"

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote