Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #1

Opening with a bang...

In another thread, there was a discussion where the issue of how the LPGA should...and should not...open their schedule arose...I had few ideas...some out on a limb, I admit...so I figured I'd share my thoughts and invite others to do so as well...

...in no particular order...

...open in the USA with each round televised...a must...how does a league in desperate need of attention open their season in the dark to American fans?

...try to build a relationship with a famous venue...well, we know it won't be Augusta National, but somewhere like that...and really make the opening event an EVENT...concerts...contests...celebrity events...maybe a course in California where you could invite celebrity guests for a one round televised pro-am on Wednesday...

...it's out there but how about having a lottery that allowed 4 non-professional, but low handicap, club players a chance to form a pairing in the first event...if any of them make the cut...they get exempted into the next event and so on for as long as they can make cuts...and they would turn pro before the first event so they could keep the money...if they make three cuts in a row they get a free exemption into the end of year Q school finals...if somehow they make 5 cuts in a row they get non-exempt status for the following year...10 straight cuts made and they get exempt status...

...maybe not fair to pros who have worked years and gone through Q-school, but it's unlikely a club player would be able to make three LPGA cuts in a row, much less 5 or 10...but what a story it would be if somebody was on the verge of making their 3rd cut and then their fifth...an American story, as well...Golf Channel could do background stories...a true big break scenario without the gimmick skills contest...actual tournament play...a real Rocky Balboa story...but they have to keep making cuts...if they miss the first cut, then they're out...if they make the 3rd cut and miss the fourth, they are out for the year but get the free Q school entry and so on...I think it's a low risk-high reward possibility for the LPGA...

...but maybe not...

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
In another thread, there was a discussion where the issue of how the LPGA should...and should not...open their schedule arose...I had few ideas...some out on a limb, I admit...so I figured I'd share my thoughts and invite others to do so as well...

...in no particular order...
My comments one a time.

...open in the USA with each round televised...a must...how does a league in desperate need of attention open their season in the dark to American fans?
Definitely. That's a no-brainer. Not to insult your intelligence, BKB. Just to say, it's almost better for the LPGA to not open at all in mid-February than open with a whimper.

...try to build a relationship with a famous venue...well, we know it won't be Augusta National, but somewhere like that...and really make the opening event an EVENT...concerts...contests...celebrity events...maybe a course in California where you could invite celebrity guests for a one round televised pro-am on Wednesday...
Sort of like what Mission Hills does for the Dinah Shore but more so and televise the pro-am? I like this idea.

...it's out there but how about having a lottery that allowed 4 non-professional, but low handicap, club players a chance to form a pairing in the first event...if any of them make the cut...they get exempted into the next event and so on for as long as they can make cuts...and they would turn pro before the first event so they could keep the money...if they make three cuts in a row they get a free exemption into the end of year Q school finals...if somehow they make 5 cuts in a row they get non-exempt status for the following year...10 straight cuts made and they get exempt status...

...maybe not fair to pros who have worked years and gone through Q-school, but it's unlikely a club player would be able to make three LPGA cuts in a row, much less 5 or 10...but what a story it would be if somebody was on the verge of making their 3rd cut and then their fifth...an American story, as well...Golf Channel could do background stories...a true big break scenario without the gimmick skills contest...actual tournament play...a real Rocky Balboa story...but they have to keep making cuts...if they miss the first cut, then they're out...if they make the 3rd cut and miss the fourth, they are out for the year but get the free Q school entry and so on...I think it's a low risk-high reward possibility for the LPGA...
Not digging this idea. The LPGA should be beyond the reach of the average low handicap club player. Are we talking men or women? I doubt a low handicap female club professional could come close and if they could, what's the point of the Futures Tour or Q-School? Anyway, isn't this a little bit like Monday qualifying except with more of a reward at the end and a little more open spots just for amateurs?

...but maybe not...[/QUOTE]
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Donating Member

You would think the LPGA could "buy" a big bang opening. Use money and all the influence they have to generate the buzz and coverage required.

Some you mentioned above might work. Star packed pro-am. I watch the Pebble Beach pro - am and I am looking for the celebs (their hacker golf and antics). So I would think you could sell and LPGA Pro-Am Tv coverage. Pick a week of low competition for the sports viewer. Really hype this up, by TV ad time. "Work the runway".
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #4

I think they should open with a players championship. An event run exclusively by the players, that would go along way to get all the top players to play. Have it on a rotation of top courses. I like the pro-am idea, as well as concerts and other events to coincide with it.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #5

I hate celebrity pro-ams.

I've got no interest in watching golfers do acting or stand-up comedy,so why would I want to watch thespians and comedians play golf ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 11-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #6

I'm in agreement w/ St. J-X. I completely HATE pro-Am tourneys such as the Pebble beach event which used to be the Crosby, and the Bob Hope or whatever it's called now, if it still exists.

I do NOT want to watch the stupid antics of George Lopez or ...worse...Bill Murray. If you want to watch silly golf, go rent "Caddyshack."

It's no wonder why Tiger hasn't played in the AT&T Pebble Beach for seven years. I read, though, that he might return next year because he has a 'deal' w/ AT&T. Pity....6 hr rounds w/ a buncha hacks.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #7

Hmmm...very interesting...and I understand why loyal golf fans who want to see good golf would hate pro-ams...but my suggestion is to maybe attract the attention of some non-LPGA diehards like us...I'd love to see Alice Cooper (a huge golf fan) paired with Paula Creamer or separated at birth Margaret Cho paired with Christina Kim...hmmmm...who to pair with Wiesy...maybe the Donald...heck, if we really want to attract attention...why not work the back rooms and telephones and see if any PGA players would be willing to play a round with the ladies...heck, if they could convince 8-10 PGAers maybe that would be an interesting Wednesday before the opening round event rather than celebrities...I can see the ladies fighting over who gets paired with Adam Scott...

...I have to believe you could find at least 8-10 PGAers would be willing to help support the LPGA...

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 11-20-2009 at 10:35 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
Donating Member

Hey - I like Caddyshack. But I guess I hit a sore spot with some. I guess consensus is probably out of the question about what to do regarding celebrity pro-ams. I think women's events have pro-ams, then my thought was "so why not make more money and get more exposure (with a celebrity pro-am on TV)".
Old 11-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #9
Forum Moderator

Pro-ams don't have to include clowns. The LPGA is desperately in need of publicity. A more high profile pro-am with some celebrities that are known as golfers, like Justin Timberlake or Mia Hamm is a good idea.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
Donating Member

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Pro-ams don't have to include clowns. The LPGA is desperately in need of publicity. A more high profile pro-am with some celebrities that are known as golfers, like Justin Timberlake or Mia Hamm is a good idea.
Good point. Maybe celebs that are not so over the top, but well known and people friendly - who can play golf as well.

How about a music concert in concert (do like the alliteration?) with the event, say the night of the pro-am?