Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #1

The Most Talented Players On Tour

So in the Solheim thread Blue made a comment about Wie and Ko and their talent. I didn't want to derail that thread so I am asking here: who are the most talented players currently on tour and let's say also of the 2000s. I can't say I'm an LPGA novice anymore having followed the tour 17 years now...but compared to some people in this forum who have followed the tour and played golf either for decades or darn near their entire lives, I will always be a novice.

To be clear, I am not saying most ACCOMPLISHED...I am saying most TALENTED. Blue mentioned Lydia Ko and Michelle Wie. If somebody who didn't follow the LPGA asked me that question, I would give a conditional answer, saying that when she's on, it's Suzann Pettersen. To make a tennis analogy, Novak Djokovic is clearly the best player. But to me, Roger Federer is still more talented. Roger at his absolute best is better than anybody but he's not always at his absolute best.

Part of my Pettersen answer is that it's the answer I've given for many years. But along the lines of what Blue said, I don't think I've ever seen anyone like Lydia Ko before.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Forum Moderator

This is a good question and hard to answer.

Talking strictly about current active players who seem to have enormous God-given talent, that may or may not be accompanied by a hard work ethic, desire, or performance, I'd include these, not necessarily in order:

Lydia Ko
Michelle Wie
Yani Tseng
Se Ri Pak
Charley Hull

One thing about natural talent is it manifests at a young age. It's not a coincidence that all of the above were child or teenage prodigies.

Last edited by Blue; 09-21-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #3
Contest Statistician

Ko

She has also been able to translate it to success. Best pure swing that hasn't changed since early teen. Multi dimensional.

Wie may have grown into the perfect body but she is and was 1 dimensional. Had a great swing but could and still can not maintain it. Never seemed to have the "touch" for the short game. You can teach someone and coach someone the fundamentals of the short game but you can not teach "touch". That is a talent. Ko has that.

The opposite to your question is Inbee Park. While I don't think that she had the talent of some of the others starting out, she as been able to grow her game to one of the best in the world. She also has a great short game, which I think emanates from her great ability to totally concentrate. Also that swing looks like it evolved over time into what it is. You would not teach that, but it developed into something that works.

An other pure talent I would nominate is Brooke Henderson. Her quick success is a surprise to me, but she also has that pure swing. Needs to pick up her short game. A swing like that is talent. Again you can coach mechanics but a swing like that is not coached, that is talent.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:17 AM   #4

I can give you a look from a different angle: Most talented players to not translate that success.

So Yeon Ryu
Azahara Munoz
Morgan Pressel

Absolute pure talents, all three of them, but something is in them mentally that prevents them from closing the deal in most cases.
Centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
I can give you a look from a different angle: Most talented players to not translate that success.

So Yeon Ryu
Azahara Munoz
Morgan Pressel

Absolute pure talents, all three of them, but something is in them mentally that prevents them from closing the deal in most cases.
Interesting...I was thinking about some players that didn't do all they might have despite their talent...Grace Park, an amateur terror, came to mind...but that was mainly injury related...

...now maybe not overall talent, but a gorgeous swing...where would all of you have rated the talent level of Angela Park, somebody who looked poised to be a titleist, but never was and disappeared...I follow the Seoul Sisters closely...I really hated to see how this played out...this is a case where I thought talent was not fulfilled...

...also, where does Stacy Lewis rank in pure talent?

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 09-21-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:26 AM   #6

I like the Grace Park pick. I think she fits, as well. I was mainly going with active players, but if I was looking back, I'd definitely put Grace in my list.

Stacy Lewis is definitely up there in terms of pure talent. It's hard to really call her an "underachiever" though. Sure, she should be winning more, but it's hard to put her on that list when she has won 10 times including two majors.

Of the "big three", though, Lydia Ko has more talent. Then it's Lewis, then it's Park. Park is far above the two in terms of mental toughness, though. Looking down the line, Hyo Joo Kim may have the most overall pure talent of any of the top 5.
Centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #7

I would agree with those who picked Ko. She has the golf skills as well as a head for the game.

Wie has phenomenal physical talent for the game, but lacks a strong mental aspect. Clearly, she's intelligent, but sometimes you have to be a bit "dumb" to play this game well from the mental side. Overthinking and over analyzing is a killer.

Charley Hull is a pure golfing talent. Not overly polished swing and not mental at all. I saw her in a national amateur event when she was 15 or 16 yrs old. It was really clear then that she was going to be a star.

In years past, I'd have to say Nancy Lopez. She had a home made swing, a phenomenal putting technique and a great mind for the game. Pure raw talent.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:54 PM   #8

The BIG four:
Jason Day
Jordan Spieth
Rory McIlroy
Rickie Fowler
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #9

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
I would agree with those who picked Ko. She has the golf skills as well as a head for the game.

Wie has phenomenal physical talent for the game, but lacks a strong mental aspect. Clearly, she's intelligent, but sometimes you have to be a bit "dumb" to play this game well from the mental side. Overthinking and over analyzing is a killer.

Charley Hull is a pure golfing talent. Not overly polished swing and not mental at all. I saw her in a national amateur event when she was 15 or 16 yrs old. It was really clear then that she was going to be a star.

In years past, I'd have to say Nancy Lopez. She had a home made swing, a phenomenal putting technique and a great mind for the game. Pure raw talent.
Hmmm...overthinking and overanalyzing. Would you also put unnecessary swing changes in that category? Are there players that you've seen...said, oh my that swing is gorgeous...but then they went to a "swing guru" and tinkered with success to their detriment.

Also, have the yips ever derailed an LPGA talent like they did with David Duval and Kevin Na?

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 09-21-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
Interesting...I was thinking about some players that didn't do all they might have despite their talent...Grace Park, an amateur terror, came to mind...but that was mainly injury related...

...now maybe not overall talent, but a gorgeous swing...where would all of you have rated the talent level of Angela Park, somebody who looked poised to be a titleist, but never was and disappeared...I follow the Seoul Sisters closely...I really hated to see how this played out...this is a case where I thought talent was not fulfilled...

...also, where does Stacy Lewis rank in pure talent?
Agree about Angela Park. She's like Anthony Kim. What happened to him?

I don't see Stacy as a player with a lot of pure, natural talent. She's closer to the Annika Sorenstam end of the spectrum with performance the result of hard work not so much natural talent.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote