Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #1

Martina Hingis Comeback

more pics and video on my blog: Victoria Azarenka Advances On Day 3 Of 2013 Southern California Open; Martina Hingis Ready For Doubles Comeback | Fairways and Forehands

The real buzz around the 2013 Southern California Open is the return of Martina Hingis playing doubles. As great a player as she was in singles…clearly Hall of Fame worthy, which she was inducted into a few weeks ago…she has claimed to be a better doubles player than singles. And you know something…I think she might be correct. She has won 5 singles Majors. In women’s doubles, she has 9 Majors. Even more, she won the women’s doubles Grand Slam in 1998. She accomplished that with 2 different partners; Mirjana Lucic in the 1998 Australian Open and Jana Novotna in the three other 1998 Majors. Martina also won doubles Majors paired with Helena Sukova, Natasha Zvereva, Mary Pierce and Anna Kournikova. Hingis also paired with Kournikova to win 2 WTA Tour Championship doubles titles. For good measure, she won the 2006 Australian Open mixed doubles title with fellow doubles ace Mahesh Bhupathi. I’ve watched Martina play doubles in World Team Tennis recently for the Washington Kastles (that’s how they spell it) and she looks terrific. There is a certain anticipation, along with coordination and reflexes that you need for doubles. It’s almost an unteachable trait that Martina still seems to have. Of course, the pressure and expectations of her returning to the WTA tour, as opposed to the fun atmosphere of Billie Jean King’s World Team Tennis, is going to be far greater. We’ll see how she does. Even if she loses early on, that’s fine. It might take some time to find her game on the WTA level. By the US Open, I expect she will be playing well.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:45 PM   #2

I hope she dabbles some in singles. If Kimiko can win some matches I don't see why "chucky" couldn't.
fetucinialfokcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #3

Originally Posted by fetucinialfokcu View Post
I hope she dabbles some in singles. If Kimiko can win some matches I don't see why "chucky" couldn't.
It would be intriguing to see how she would do...the power of the singles game has changed so much. But it doesn't sound like she will play singles:

"Not singles, no. It's a completely different world. Even World TeamTennis now, it's brutal, it's only one set but still the next day you wake up, and you have to put so much more effort into it. Playing tournaments is the easy part - it's the grind behind it that's tough, the things behind the scenes that people don't see, the six to eight hours of training, and the older you get the more rehab you have to do. When you're 17 everything seems so easy, but now I'm almost twice the age. I wouldn't want to come out and play one or two matches and then lose third round, that's not my type of personality.

"So not at this point, no."

-Martina Hingis

more pics on my blog: Martina Hingis Wins First Comeback Match At 2013 Southern California Open | Fairways and Forehands

Martina Hingis teamed up with doubles partner Daniela Hantuchova to win their first match at the 2013 Southern California Open, 6-1 6-1, over Julia Goerges and Darija Jurak. Although people who don’t follow tennis might not know, this win is pretty impressive when you consider Goerges and Jurak were doubles finalists last week at the Bank of the West Classic in Stanford. Up next, Hingis and Hantuchova will take on the Bank of the West doubles champions Raquel Kops-Jones and Abigail Spears. If Martina and Daniela play like they did Wednesday, they will be tough to handle. Hingis’ game was sharp all around, which she attributes to playing World Team Tennis. For all of her singles success, Martina is a natural doubles player. I can’t wait to see how far she and Daniela can go together.

---Bruce Lee

Old 08-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #4

more pics on my blog: Martina Hingis Loses Tough Three Setter (Super Tie Break) In Second Doubles Comeback Match | Fairways and Forehands

Martina Hingis

If you don’t follow women’s tennis you might not know who Raquel Kops-Jones and Abigail Spears are. Martina Hingis and Daniela Hantuchova sure know who they are. The American doubles team, who are coming fresh off of winning the title at the Bank of the West Classic, defeated Hingis and Hantuchova, 4-6 7-5 10-3. For those that are not aware, that last set is actually what is called a “super tie break.” The first two sets are played normally. But in some tournaments if doubles teams split the first two sets, they basically just play a game to 10 points (must win by at least 2 points) to determine the final “set” winner. I’ve never really been a fan of the super tie break. Just play it out normally. Martina and Daniela might regret a lost opportunity here. They won the first set and then led 3-0 in the second set before collapsing and losing 7 of the next 9 games. They even led 5-4 in the second set and were 2 points away from winning in straight sets. In the end, credit must be given to Raquel and Abigail for continuing to fight. Actually, credit needn’t be given…Abigail and Raquel EARNED their credit. It would have been easy to fold against such a big name in the tennis game like Martina Hingis. In fact, I’ve seen many lesser known players wilt after keeping it close in the first set against a top name player but losing. Over the years, I’ve seen many 7-5 6-1 or 6-4 6-0 or 7-6 6-2, etc type scores with a high ranked player pushed in the first set and then steamrolling in the second. Part of that is sometimes the top player raising their game…but I have seen lower ranked players sort of have the air taken out of their balloon after fighting and losing the first set. Kops-Jones and Spears are doubles champions. They obviously won’t quit. Just as Sloane Stephens, Jamie Hampton and Madison Keys are great Americans to watch in singles, Raquel and Abigail are a team to watch in doubles. Unlike the youngsters in singles, Kops-Jones and Spears are finding renewed life the last 3 or 4 years in doubles as they now enter their 30s. They’ve had a lot of success together since 2009, except in the Majors. That’s the last hurdle. They have the ability to win a Major, in my opinion. Whether they will or not, we shall see.

Raquel Kops-Jones and Abigail Spears

Ana Ivanovic

Victoria Azarenka

Daniela Hantuchova, Martina's doubles partner, found some time at the tournament to hit some golf balls. I hear that she is pretty good. She is close friends with Sergio Garcia and apparently plays golf whenever she's not playing tennis.

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 08-04-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #5

Hi BKB.....
I was watching the tennis from Calif the other night and had to turn it off.....could NOT stand that screeching of Azarenka every time she hit the ball.
Had lunch the next day with a fairly large group of golfers at the club and was really surprised at the number of people said the same thing.
It would seem to me that the screeching would be annoying to her opponent.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #6

It's a disgrace they've been allowed to get away with this increasingly loud screeching when they hit the ball. They should have been heavily penalised when they got louder than Seles, that might have quietened them down a bit.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Forum Moderator

Seems like all tennis is a screech-fest now. Biggest reason I don't watch it too much anymore. Seles's quiet grunts seem tame now compared to the "Aaii-EEEEEHHH" by the players now on every shot.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #8

They probably do the same thing when they make love!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #9

[QUOTE=dangerbob;141393]They probably do the same thing when they make love!

Naw.....they'd scare their partner out of the room......or put the neighbors on the run.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #10

I don't what to say. The grunting has never bothered me. Maybe it bothers others. I wouldn't try to change anybody's mind about the issue. But women's tennis players continue to top Forbes highest paid female athletes, so enough people seem to be paying attention to them that they remain popular despite the grunting. And while they might annoy golf club members, they sure have seemed to be popular with male golfers over the years (Adam Scott-Ana Ivanovic, Rory McIroy-Caroline Wozniacki, Greg Norman-Chris Evert, Hank Kuehne-Venus Williams, Sergio Garcia-Martina Hingis). But if it turns you off, who I am to say it's right or wrong? I don't mind the grunting. Others do. Then again, I also grew up in martial arts classes where we used the kiai (kind of like a loud vocalization with certain techniques). It helps focus energy and startle an opponent. I always kind of looked at Seles' grunting the same as a martial artist uses a kiai.

more pics on my blog: Samantha Stosur Wins 2013 Southern California Open | Fairways and Forehands

Samantha Stosur

Sometimes a loss can lead to great things. Samantha Stosur lost early last week at the Bank of the West Classic. Thinking she needed more time on hard courts she asked for, and received, a wild card into the 2013 Southern California Open. A week later she stands as its champion, defeating world #2 Victoria Azarenka in straight sets, 6-2 6-2. Part of Vika’s problem was an extremely shaky serve. Early on, it was probably the worse I’ve seen Azarenka serve in a very long time. However, in the end the other part of Vika’s problem was Samantha pushing her. Surprisingly, it was Stosur’s first tournament championship since winning the 2011 US Open. With her kick serve, strong groundies and willingness to come to net it seems like she should have more titles. Samantha is definitely a real threat at the upcoming US Open, so long as she stays healthy. Also, I’d like to congratulate the doubles team of Raquel Kops-Jones and Abigail Spears on winning for the second straight week.

She celebrated at the water slide

---Bruce Lee