Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
I never said the Bush girls being in Mexico was ok. And with all that security that we're paying for, I doubt there were any security issues.
I have no problem with either of the two. The children (Obama,Bush) have a right to lead normal lives, and that includes school trips and yes spring break on the beach for college kids.

The Bush girls were also famous for slipping away from security when out on the town. Just being normal college kids, they got a bad rap.

In this day, Unfortunately they need round the clock security.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
I have no problem with either of the two. The children (Obama,Bush) have a right to lead normal lives, and that includes school trips and yes spring break on the beach for college kids.

The Bush girls were also famous for slipping away from security when out on the town. Just being normal college kids, they got a bad rap.

In this day, Unfortunately they need round the clock security.
What got the Bush girls in trouble was using a fake ID to try to buy alcohol. This is beyond just slipping away from security. They got the same punishment as any college kid caught doing this. The difference is that when it happens to other kids it doesn't make national headlines.

USATODAY.com - Bush daughters cited in Texas
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Definition of awesome by the Oxford dictionary: extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring awe. Example used: the awesome power of the atomic bomb.

Precisely my meaning of awesome in my post; just replace atomic bomb with an almost 8 earthquake. Each of us in the huge area of the tremor, are completely impotent against the power and energy emitting from the innards of the earth.

I am a big fan of the Obamas, but closing huge archeological sites for a teenager seems a bit extreme.

Today March 21, March equinox, millions of Mexicans and thousands of tourist from all over the world visit archeological sites all day and night to get re-energized. I hope they are not kept out of one of the sites because of Malia.

BTW Blue. The State of Oaxaca has always been a very dangerous place. I was once paid an over due amount with a 30 "hectarea" ranch between the Pacific and a small lake. I never went there because it was so dangerous to travel in the area . Even the soldiers chickened out. I sold it to a local and got most of my money back. The new owner has a coco-nut plantation and keeps inviting me over, but doubt I will ever see what is supposed to be a paradise. You do not mess around with the natives of Santo Domingo Armenta.

Last edited by Elf; 03-21-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
NTB

Michelle Obama spent around 1and 1/4 million a day in Wiefan land.
But I guess that's alright.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
NTB

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
President Obama and Mrs. Obama did not pay attention to the State Department and many States recommendations about not letting you kids go to Mexico for safety reason due to high crime rates. Malia went to the State of Oaxaca with a group of class mates to visit archeological sites and historical and indian towns. With so many security officers around her she is in no danger of criminal acts. But she got, as most of us in central and southern states in Mexico, the “scared” of her life with an almost 8.0 earthquake with the epicenter about 100 miles from her group at noon today.
By USA and Mexican government instructions, the group has gotten almost nil attention from the media. Where are you taxes going? She stays in good small hotels with her dozen or so school mates and a bunch of security officers. All other rooms in the hotel are vacant. When she goes to an archeological site that normally is visited every day by thousand of guest from all over the world, the site is closed to all visitors and of course the media. In the only photo I have seen of the group, her school mates looked awed by the presence of so much security.
BTW. The earthquake was awesome. The biggest one in Mexico since the 1985 killer. Only positive factor was that millions of students and employees got the rest of the day off.
And with our borders wide open our crime rates are also going up.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
DBTW Blue. The State of Oaxaca has always been a very dangerous place. I was once paid an over due amount with a 30 "hectarea" ranch between the Pacific and a small lake. I never went there because it was so dangerous to travel in the area . Even the soldiers chickened out. I sold it to a local and got most of my money back. The new owner has a coco-nut plantation and keeps inviting me over, but doubt I will ever see what is supposed to be a paradise. You do not mess around with the natives of Santo Domingo Armenta.
It may be true that Oaxaca is dangerous and that you feel unsafe there. However, the US State Department has no warning or recommendation to Americans or their kids not to go there, which is what you claimed in your first post. The Mexico warnings are itemized by region.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
Elf

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
It may be true that Oaxaca is dangerous and that you feel unsafe there. However, the US State Department has no warning or recommendation to Americans or their kids not to go there, which is what you claimed in your first post. The Mexico warnings are itemized by region.
I have never bothered to read Travel Advisories from the State Department or individual states such as Arizona. But the general idea of all Advisories is that US Citizens should be aware of the dangers of going to Mexico. When one Mexican State or City goes extremely violent, they Advisories name the place. As the situation changes and violence moves to other areas the name of the States or cities and towns are changed. Probably, today Guadalajara is on the list. Few months ago the LPGA had an event there and the Pan-American Games took place in September October of last year. The City was nice and peaceful. Recently, it is a combat zone.
My personal opinion is that the advisories are greatly exaggerated and probably reflect points of view of American Tourism Boards that want millions of Tourist to stay away from Mexico and travel in the USA instead. American tourist killed, kiddnaped, raped or robbed in Mexico is about average for all other countries including the USA and probably lower than places such as NYC.
Of course, there are places such as Ciudad Juarez that should be avoided as much as possible (I would not recommend the City as a place to retire, LOL.). I do not travel in any road at night and stay away from small towns that are distribution centers of drugs.
There are over a million USA Citizens leaving in Mexico and most of them would never consider moving back to the USA.
One of my sons that lives in San Antonio, TX., always wanted to spend a summer traveling with his family by car all over Mexico. That, fortunately, is out of his plans. But spending a summer in Mexico with out so much car travelling and staying in beautiful fun cities with cultural areas and resorts is very safe.

Last edited by Elf; 03-21-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #18

23 secret service agents made the trip. What an absurd expenditure.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #19

Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Agreed.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
Elf

Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Just wandering? How many secret service agents would travel with Malia and school friends for the week at Mount Rushmore and near by areas of interest?
Moral of the story, save money by electing a president without kids or wife. Well maybe a president with a wife is cheaper than one with out a wife. In that last case, you would need more agents to take care of the lovers.