Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
sag

LPGA stars may play against the men

The Bermuda Golf Association has opened the Bermuda Open to women for the first time. Natalie Gulbis, Paula Creamer and others may be interested in competing. At Port Royal, the home of the PGA Grand Slam of Golf, everyone will play from the same tees for the same purse.
"The Grand Slam didn't play the holes all the way back," said [BGA president Terry] West, "they set up the course for birdies and entertainment for that. Our tournament wants to find the best golfer, so we'll play off the blacks, all the way back."
LPGA stars get Open invite
sag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #2

It says Gulbis and Creamer have already expressed an interested to play.
Good on them!
paddyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
I am sure that our "feminist" posters will say: "It's degrading because the players are being exhibited for their beauty, just like a beauty pageant, more than for their performance on the golf course". Or maybe they will not make that comment because Gulbis and Creamer are American and the ladies in the KLPGA Ceremony were Asians.
The reason the sinking Bermuda Open is now open for ladies is degrading. They need income and they figure that exhibiting beautiful lady golfers will help. Gulbis and Creamer are good examples. The Asians danced in the ceremony, Gulbis and Creamer will wear attractive attire and big smiles at the course and evening events.
No big deal. Everyone needs income.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #4

Personally, I think it is a BS publicity stunt to invite women but as long as they are playing from the same tees as the men then competitive integrity is maintained and I have no problem with the event.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #5

It might be fun, once the field is set and we know which girls are playing, to have a contest picking where the girls will finish in the field after 4 rounds.
Keep in mind that there is no cut and the overall quality of the male golfers in the field will not be anywhere near the level of a PGA TOUR event.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #6

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
Personally, I think it is a BS publicity stunt to invite women but as long as they are playing from the same tees as the men then competitive integrity is maintained and I have no problem with the event.
I agree about the same tees. It would be a sham if they played from different tees.
paddyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #7

gex - What if it happened that the women won this event, everything being equal.... what would you say about the women them.... I wonders? :-)

I have to admit I really liked you earlier Avatar, impressive, giving the impression no-nonsense, "I am somebody to be reckoned with, don't give me no BS, I know and am much wiser than you". Kinda "don't mess with me, unless you want the real dirt". Now that new Avatar.... well.... it just makes you look kinda stupid. Hope you change it again in the future. Your Buddie greentee.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
Forum Moderator

Of course it is. It looks like they'll be lucky to get Nationwide Tour players on the men's side. As a side note, it's interesting that Gulbis and Creamer have expressed interest in participating since Nike is supposedly one of the sponsors and they are both with rival TaylorMade/Adidas.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
Contest Statistician

Bring back the cat.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #10

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Bring back the cat.
OK.