Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #11

Oooh, a Dr Who fan!!! Are you into the current series? The rest of the series started earlier in the year commenced on Saturday here. Sorry you got the Irene overhead, but glad you had something good to watch, X5!
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
Forum Moderator

Would like to be better prepared for future power outages. They happens fairly often where I live. I want to be able to charge my cell phone and my computer and run a flashlight and radio without depending on batteries. I don't want to get a generator.

What do you guys recommend? For some reason I think Wiefan might be skilled in this area or at least could provide a lengthy opinion.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #13
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
Oooh, a Dr Who fan!!! Are you into the current series? The rest of the series started earlier in the year commenced on Saturday here. Sorry you got the Irene overhead, but glad you had something good to watch, X5!
We should be up to date. I was a marathon of this season which I had not seen.

Personally I like the 70's Dr Who. Tom Baker of course but I really enjoy the Dr before him, John Pertwee. That guy was stuck on Earth alot (I don't think the BBC wanted to spend a lot of money at the time). Didn't actual see his episodes until the 80's. Started with Tom Baker when I was a kid.

I just got the Tom Baker Keys to Time episode arc on DVD.

For those old timers (and new timers), which is your favorite Romana. Blonde or Brunette?

xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #14

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Would like to be better prepared for future power outages. They happens fairly often where I live. I want to be able to charge my cell phone and my computer and run a flashlight and radio without depending on batteries. I don't want to get a generator.

What do you guys recommend? For some reason I think Wiefan might be skilled in this area or at least could provide a lengthy opinion.
Blue....don't know why you are in a blackout area, but down here almost everyone I know (including me) has a generator in their shed. We get quite a few heavy wind storms off the ocean, and inland gets more than enough tornado winds...no big damage done, but lots of tree limbs down wires.
Damn power always seems to go out at dinner time +. A generator beats sitting in the dark. I also keep several flashlights stashed around the house
and barn.
I guess I can't offer any more help than that.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
Contest Statistician

A bicycle with a generator attached. Make electricity and get exercise at the same time.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #16

Brunette. She was the first one who actually did something and didn't shriek all the time! Liked Rose, Martha Jones and Donna Noble. Amazing number of girls names Tegan after that character. Spoke to one when working and made a comment about Dr Who, she said 'Yes, that was where my name was from, my parents were fans'.

Liked Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee, also liked Peter Davidson, and the two newer ones, Chris Eggleston and David Tennant.

Not that this has anything to do with Irene!
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #17
Administrator

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
A bicycle with a generator attached. Make electricity and get exercise at the same time.
Ha ha, A bit unreliable though unless you have someone really fit in the family.

Blue you can get windup radios with no batteries, also shake torches with no batteries.

Without a generator to power a computer you will need either a UPS a large one is not cheap and they don't last very long.

A car battery with an inverter, or without if you can add 12v connections and cigarette lighter leads. This is the best option will power a laptop for a fair while, I use it out in the country/bush when we have no power to power and charge everything, deepcycle batteries are the best. You could also use your existing car battery but you might flatten the battery depending how long you use it.

a windmill power generator expensive.

A couple of spare already charged laptop batteries cheapest option.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #18

Or you could move to Utah. They generally don't get too much crap weather.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #19
Forum Moderator

Great ideas. I like the bike-generator. When i was a kid my father kept threatening to take us off the grid and power our house with those.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #20
sag

Originally Posted by Blue View Post

What do you guys recommend?
My sister got one of these:

C. Crane Company - CC Solar Observer (Black) - Toll Free (800) 522-8863

The part of the description that says you have to crank for 10 minutes for an hour of radio play is wrong. 90 seconds of cranking will yield 45 minutes of radio, as per the user manual:

http://www.ccrane.com/instruction-ma...ency-radio.pdf

I don't know whether you could charge a computer with it.
sag is offline   Reply With Quote