Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 714
Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
You can't have a bunch of Korean speaking robots -- disconnected from the fans -- and blame the "media" for not promoting them.
See that attitude has got to change. They are not anymore robotic than the Americans. In fact any interviews I've seen with Tseng Shin and Miyazato have shown me they are very personable. That's the problem with the American media. Instead of congratulating the talent of the Asians when they win they turn it into a negative of the Americans losing. It's a killer for the tour.

Last edited by ajraymond; 07-23-2010 at 11:07 PM.
ajraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
bangkokbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,521
Originally Posted by ajraymond View Post
See that attitude has got to change. They are not anymore robotic than the Americans. In fact any interviews I've seen with Tseng Shin and Miyazato have shown me they are very personable. That's the problem with the American media. Instead of congratulating the talent of the Asians when they win they turn it into a negative of the Americans losing. It's a killer for the tour.
I agree...I've seen plenty of dull as wood athletes of all nationalities...giving rote answers that are churned out of the sports cliche recycle bin...and not showing very much emotion on the course...

...btw...speaking of retired athletes being on the list and current athletes being left off...if it were based on a meritocracy...quite possibly the greatest woman athlete...check that, great athlete period...at the moment might be Russian pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva...

...and honestly, I don't know that Se Ri or Grace did anything special to promote themselves...in fact for years we SS fans thought Se Ri was underappreciated outside of the hardcore golf press...only around the time it looked like she was a lock for the Hall of Fame did things (in our opinion) start to change...

...Grace is a special case...she came to the States as a teen and assimilated very well...sometimes I have to remind myself she isn't Korean-American like Michelle or Christina...
__________________
Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 07-23-2010 at 11:17 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Golf Course
Posts: 3,390
Originally Posted by ajraymond View Post
See that attitude has got to change. They are not anymore robotic than the Americans. In fact any interviews I've seen with Tseng Shin and Miyazato have shown me they are very personable. That's the problem with the American media. Instead of congratulating the talent of the Asians when they win they turn it into a negative of the Americans losing. It's a killer for the tour.
No it doesn't. I'm not talking about Tseng, Shin and Miyazato. I already said there were Asian players who "get it" and who connect with the fans. Are there American players who have the personality of a rock? Yes...but they are far outnumbered by Asians simply because of the language/cultural issues.

The problem is not with the American (or other) media and fans...it's with players of ANY nationality who walk around like automatons and when they win, they refuse interviews, etc...and then ...who TF cares who they are?

The attitude which has to change is that of the players who don't see why they have to do something beyond just winning.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
bangkokbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,521
Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
None that I know of. Here are the athletes/sports figures that have appeared In DWTS show:(Not in order of their appearances).

1. Maurice Green(Sprinter-Track and Field)
2. Misty May-Treanor(Beach Volleyball)
3. Warren Sapp(football player)
4. Monica Seles(Tennis player) eliminated in the first round.
5. Jason Taylor(football player)
6. Kristi Yamaguchi(Figure skater)-Winner
7. Floyd Mayweather Jr.(Boxer)
8. Helio Castroneves(Race car driver)- winner
9. Clyde Drexter(Basketball player)
10. Laila Ali(Professional boxer)
11. Apolo Anton Ohno(Olympic Speed skater)- Winner
12. Emmitt Smith(Football player)-Winner
13. Stacy Keibler(Professional wrestler)
14. Jerry Rice(Football Player)
15. Evander Holyfield(Pro boxer)
16. Louie Vito(snowboarder)
17. Shawn Johnson(Olympic Gymnast)-Winner
18. Natalie Coughlin(Olympic Swimmer)
19. Evan Lysacek(Ollympic Ice Skater)
20. Chad Johnson(Football player).

Natalie Gulbis was on the Donald's "Celebrity Apprentice."
OK, it's coming to light now...Misty May was also on the show...we gotta get some LPGAers on these shows! Who's running the marketing department?

...not surprised at all to see Kristi Yamaguchi as a winner...while graceful is not an adjective I associate with Monica Seles, it is absolutely spot-on when describing the athleticism of Kristi Yamaguchi...without ever seeing the show, if you showed me that list and asked me to pick one athlete I thought could win I would pick Kristi...

...on the other hand...I'm surprised Emmitt Smith and Apolo Anton Ohno won...but then again, the nature of their sports would mask whether they have grace and rhythm unlike figure skating and gymnastics where it's easier to see which athletes favor technical ability over artistry and vice versa...even in tennis you can separate the power players from the touch players...

...I'll say this...if an LPGAer went on DWTS and progressed into the show, I would definitely watch...even if it was not one of my favorites...so let's get one of them on there, dagnabit!
__________________
Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 07-24-2010 at 08:23 AM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
dangerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,528
Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
...on the other hand...I'm surprised Emmitt Smith and Apolo Anton Ohno won...but then again, the nature of their sports would mask whether they have grace and rhythm unlike figure skating and gymnastics where it's easier to see which athletes favor technical ability over artistry and vice versa...even in tennis you can separate the power players from the touch players...
Like any other reality shows, it a popularity contest. People vote who they want to win. Most of the time, they're right on the money. In the case of Emmitt Smith, he was against Mario Lopez in the final...and Mario Lopez should have won it. Apolo Anton Ohno was good and he deserved to win it.

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby
...I'll say this...if an LPGAer went on DWTS and progressed into the show, I would definitely watch...even if it was not one of my favorites...so let's get one of them on there, dagnabit!
I agree. Let's get my Morgan in there. Go to ABC.com and ask them we want to see some LPGA players on the show!
__________________
"On this hapless EARTH
There's small SINCERITY of mirth
And LAUGHTER oft is but an ART
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"


Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Putter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,571
Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
I agree. Let's get my Morgan in there. Go to ABC.com and ask them we want to see some LPGA players on the show!
What "we" (not me!) want and what the LPGA players want are two different things. The only LPGAer I could see even considering going on that show would be Christina Kim.
__________________
Putter
Putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
bangkokbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,521
Originally Posted by Putter View Post
What "we" (not me!) want and what the LPGA players want are two different things. The only LPGAer I could see even considering going on that show would be Christina Kim.
Really? Not even some of the teenage ones? Well...you know there is one person who might be cajoled into doing it...somebody who likes to bust a dance move while she is on the course...and has daughters who would probably get a kick out of seeing mom on the show...Juli Inkster!

...I think Morgan might do it...and we know Yani Tseng has b-girl dance moves...DWTS is a different kind of dancing...but at least we know Yani has no shyness about strutting her stuff...now, dancing in heels and a dress...I saw a special on TGC once where they toured her home (which she bought from Annika) and if I recall correctly, in her shoe closet she doesn't even own a pair of heels...it might not sound like a big deal...but if she never wears heels, it might be difficult for her to dance in them...but hey, give it a shot Yani!

Yani Tseng breakdancing...
__________________
Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 07-24-2010 at 04:21 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
dangerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,528
Originally Posted by Putter View Post
What "we" (not me!) want and what the LPGA players want are two different things. The only LPGAer I could see even considering going on that show would be Christina Kim.
Ah...another misunderstanding! Putter, sometimes your "Canadian thing" gets to me. I quoted Bangkokbobby...and when I said "WE" I meant just him and me. Two of us make it a plural pronoun. "We" both like an LPGA player(s) on the show.

By the way, that's a high rated show. You don't know how much publicity a player and the LPGA will get if someone is selected to participate in that show. And if you don't want to watch the show...there is a button on your remote that says, "off" or "up or down" to switch to another channel. Or you can use the numbers, if you want. That's the reason why they invented the remote!

When Philo Taylor Farnsworth invented the television in the 1920's, I told him to include the remote...but it wasn't until the 1950's when Zenith Corporation under Eugen McDonald Jr. introduced the first remote control to cut on commercials.
A little history for you... Have some bud on me!
__________________
"On this hapless EARTH
There's small SINCERITY of mirth
And LAUGHTER oft is but an ART
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"


Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:10 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Putter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,571
Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
Ah...another misunderstanding! Putter, sometimes your "Canadian thing" gets to me. I quoted Bangkokbobby...and when I said "WE" I meant just him and me. Two of us make it a plural pronoun. "We" both like an LPGA player(s) on the show.

By the way, that's a high rated show. You don't know how much publicity a player and the LPGA will get if someone is selected to participate in that show. And if you don't want to watch the show...there is a button on your remote that says, "off" or "up or down" to switch to another channel. Or you can use the numbers, if you want. That's the reason why they invented the remote!
DB, I'm not sure what my "Canadian thing" is, but anyway, when you said WE I just assumed that you were talking to everyone here - I didn't realize it was just you and BKB that should write and tell the show to have Morgan on.

I know all about DWTS - I still don't get the "stars" part, but that's beside the point. I watched it once, long ago, I thought it was stupid. Hell, some of the worst shows on TV are highly-rated, that doesn't mean they're good! I'm old enough to know what a TV and a remote are, and yes, I understand what the buttons mean too. I don't have to turn DWTS off because I never have it ON!

If you think having an LPGA player lower themselves to be on this show so that the LPGA will get more exposure, well, you just keep on thinking that. Maybe Rawson too, there'd be a good pick.
__________________
Putter
Putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #30
Donating Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,551
Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post

When Philo Taylor Farnsworth invented the television in the 1920's, I told him to include the remote...but it wasn't until the 1950's when Zenith Corporation under Eugen McDonald Jr. introduced the first remote control to cut on commercials.
A little history for you... Have some bud on me!
Haven't you been watching Warehouse 13 on SciFi channel? Philo did not invent the remote because he was busy inventing video enabled secure line cell phones and 3D TV.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2 PL2

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!