Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
Administrator

Guess what this is

Guess What This Is
Hint: picture was taken in 1956 . . . answer below.

It's a hard disk drive from back in 1956, 5 MB of storage.

In September 1956, IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first 'SUPER' computer with a hard disk drive (HDD). The HDD weighed over a ton and stored a 'whopping' 5 MB of data (about the size of one average mp3 song). Do you appreciate your 8 GB memory stick now, or a 3GS iPhone with 32 GB of memory ?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:10 AM   #2
NTB

Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Guess What This Is
Hint: picture was taken in 1956 . . . answer below.

It's a hard disk drive from back in 1956, 5 MB of storage.

In September 1956, IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first 'SUPER' computer with a hard disk drive (HDD). The HDD weighed over a ton and stored a 'whopping' 5 MB of data (about the size of one average mp3 song). Do you appreciate your 8 GB memory stick now, or a 3GS iPhone with 32 GB of memory ?
The first computer I worked with Ramac 305. You could count faster then it could. The machine filled a huge room.
If I remember correctly the Ibm 401 was next.

I also remember when the rumor was out that someone was experimenting with a chip that would hold a gig. I laughed at such a notion.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #3
Donating Member

Looks like a seismograph with the drum wheel already with traces drawn on them.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:00 AM   #4

Hi ya folks...I didn't know what it was...BUT...I do know that the Forklift is on the WRONG side if they wanted to enable easier on and off loading

as the picture shows, the people now have to "Manhandle " the Big crate...if the operator was on the other side, he could deposit the entire load directly on the airplane....Pallet and all...also the off loading would be easier as they would just reverse the process and let the forklift do the work...instead of "MAN Power"

have a good day...see ya!!
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #5

Originally Posted by wiefan View Post
Hi ya folks...I didn't know what it was...BUT...I do know that the Forklift is on the WRONG side if they wanted to enable easier on and off loading

as the picture shows, the people now have to "Manhandle " the Big crate...if the operator was on the other side, he could deposit the entire load directly on the airplane....Pallet and all...also the off loading would be easier as they would just reverse the process and let the forklift do the work...instead of "MAN Power"

have a good day...see ya!!
Wiefan...you must be having a wiegasm again. LOL The load just came from the airplane and when the picture was taken, the forklift operator had already turned around headed to wherever he was going to unload the computer.
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #6

Hi ya dangerbob....ahhhh let me refute your scenerio....first of all, he has the load up "TOO HIGH" on the lift...this becomes top heavy...also if he was driving it away, he would do it in Reverse so that he can see what is in front of him

I think the load being HIGH up on the lift indicates that he did NOT already turn around....normal unloading has the operator drop the load down to about a foot off the ground before any driving whether or not it is forward or backwards

ahhh shucks...I am beginning to sound like Good ol' Blue....just kidding Blue

here is a theory...perhaps the operator is a fan of Joey Heatherton and he is still daydreaming....but I wonder what pix of Joey is he dreaming about...would you know per chance...lemme see your proof

have a good day in Colorado Dangerbob....today we are going to see on TV a lot of Wiesy and Morgan....ahhhh the BEST of TWO worlds huh....see ya!!
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #7

Maybe you're right, Wiefan. Maybe I'm the one having a Morgasm! LOL

When Morgan overtakes Michelle and the rest of the field, I'm going to have a Morgasm for sure!

Just for you Wiefan. Good luck on Wiesy!

To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #8

I saw a report on PBS I think it was "Wings" that opened my eyes. When Gary Powers was shot down flying a U2 over the soviet Union, The USA was also flying unmanned U2's over the soviet Union. I would like to know if the small computers the military was using to fly U2s has ever been made public. I don't believe the U2 has a large cargo capacity.

When Reagan disclosed the stealth fighter/bombers in the 80's they were so out of date that they were put in the Smitheonion (Sp) Institute.

In summary the military has been using technology for years that are not even acknowledged today.
neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
NTB

Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
I saw a report on PBS I think it was "Wings" that opened my eyes. When Gary Powers was shot down flying a U2 over the soviet Union, The USA was also flying unmanned U2's over the soviet Union. I would like to know if the small computers the military was using to fly U2s has ever been made public. I don't believe the U2 has a large cargo capacity.

When Reagan disclosed the stealth fighter/bombers in the 80's they were so out of date that they were put in the Smitheonion (Sp) Institute.

In summary the military has been using technology for years that are not even acknowledged today.
Yes they treat us like mushrooms keep us in the dark and feed us s---.