Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
The solutions for lower scores and having more ladies averaging under 70 is not shortening distance or making the courses easier. The solution is developing more ladies with the caliber of Yani.
A few years back Lorena, Annika, and other ladies including Grace Park had year after year scoring averages below 70. With fewer events, have the easier golf courses have been eliminated? Or is the caliber of top players lower than in the past?
Is Yani impressive performance because she is truly a phenomenal player or because there is little competition? Probably a combination of both. It seems that besides Yani, the other top players do not have the consistency to play 4 good rounds of golf. Amy Yang played great yesterday, but today she shot +2 (8 shots higher). NYC had a great round today (5 shots better than yesterday). Only Yani, Sun Young Yoo, and Se Ri Pak have played two solid round of Golf and probably the last two will collapse in one of the next two rounds.
So Yani will dominate for a while: Until she loses her consistency or other players learn to play 4 rounds of top Golf.
Bring back Annika, Lorena, the younger Grace Park, Se Ri Pak, and K. Webb and the fifteen year old Michelle Wie.

Last edited by Elf; 03-30-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #12

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Chamblee is basing his opinion on some false assumptions.
1. Reduce the number of exempt players and reduce the field size of full-field tournaments. Send the non-contenders to the Symetra Tour. Send the lower players on the Symetra Tour back to college or mini tours. This will raise the quality of play on both tours.
If you do this...there will only be Koreans, Japanese and Taiwanese in the LPGA tour!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #13

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
That's the cool thing about most of us avg men who play and also watch the LPGA. The actual game that they are playing relates to us, though they do it a heck of a lot better.

Just waiting for the first warm weekend around here to get out and play.
I played, kind of anyway, last weekend. I'm hoping to get out again this weekend, but it's going to be fairly cool here.

I've had the opportunity to play Squaw Creek, where they played the old Giant Eagle tournament. You're right, the ladies play a whole lot better than we do.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #14

How soon the media forgets.

Remember when the WBO was played at Car"NASTY".

They shorten the track too much taking a lot of trouble out of play and the foot long fescue (1999 Championship Open) to the right along the 18th hole was gone.

They made Carnousite a pitch and putt and what a shame.

The media was all over that....saying the course was not set-up to major standards.

If not for the rain...Oakmont would have played even tougher...I don't recall 1 pro complaining the course was unfair....it was exciting watching the back 9 as some pros were surging only to run out of gas.

The gals want to be both physically and mentally challenged....especially the premier pros.

I want excitement and this means the potential for a pro to dunk it in the water and see a pro execute an impossible lie out of the rough....not low scores.

Yani is exciting.
On Thurs...she was in jail to the right on 18....from TV....the shot should have been to hood a 4 or 5 iron low under the trees to get back the ball back into play to set-up the 3rd shot.

But NO
Yani sees a spot to hit a hybrid over the trees and draw the ball back into play.
Yani takes control, does it and Jason gives her the yardage and provides encouragement.

Today Yani bunted a drive on 18...so had 222 yds to the pin. Judy said Jason told her......Yani would not go for the green in 2 during the week..unless she had to on Sunday.

Hmmmmm....I wonder what Yani did?

Yani is the LPGA's..."Phil the Thrill"

Yani is bleeding confidence.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #15

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
I played, kind of anyway, last weekend. I'm hoping to get out again this weekend, but it's going to be fairly cool here.

I've had the opportunity to play Squaw Creek, where they played the old Giant Eagle tournament. You're right, the ladies play a whole lot better than we do.
The lower ranked pros on the money list from 100-150 would school us any day.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
The lower ranked pros on the money list from 100-150 would school us any day.
Of course they would and twice on sunday, but compared to the top 10 they just don't have it. The divide is to wide.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #17

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Of course they would and twice on sunday, but compared to the top 10 they just don't have it. The divide is to wide.
That's what makes the "elite" players elite.

As big as the gap is between the top players and the also- rans, every once in a while a Lunke comes along and surprises everybody.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #18
Donating Member

Everyone has good points on this thread. I am lucky here in MN I am going out for my 7th round on Sunday. We started a month early.

I agree if you shorten the course too much the male audience will show disdain. Carnustie and the road hole at St. Andrews comments come to mind.

But someone mentioned if they shortened the course maybe 80% of the ladies could reach 3 or 4 of the par 5's in two (and this would be bad in the original post). What % of the male pros can reach 3 or 4 of the par 5s in two? Of course TV is covering the leaders, but when I watch the men my feeling is they can all reach the par 5s in two (or at least they try). And this might be a good stat to look at, set up the LPGA course so that the % of women reaching par 5's in two is about the same as for men. What length would this be on the LPGA? I think the top level of women "average" about 250 yds, so it would have to be 450 to 480 yds for a par 5. Is that too short to survive ridicule?

I agree with others, a main reason I watch is that the hole yardages are similar to what I can play. (And there are no par 5's I can reach in two shots unless a tornado is at my back). And their games seem more similar.

Are the women as good in other stats? Chipping, putting? I will have to do some research.

Great discussion.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:18 AM   #19

Yeah,Brandel,high scoring averages,that's why the masses aren't flocking to watch the LPGA.

If only seven more players could average 70 or lower,ratings would be right up there with the Champions League final and the Superbowl.

How come whenever somebody comes up with a suggestion to 'improve' the women's game it involves a major dumbing down of the product.

As has been said most eloquently in this thread,if the courses were made easier,thus contriving to make a leaderboard full of very low,red figures,the product would simply be mocked.

Why not make the holes bigger whilst they are at it ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 03-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #20

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Yeah,Brandel,high scoring averages,that's why the masses aren't flocking to watch the LPGA.

If only seven more players could average 70 or lower,ratings would be right up there with the Champions League final and the Superbowl.

How come whenever somebody comes up with a suggestion to 'improve' the women's game it involves a major dumbing down of the product.

As has been said most eloquently in this thread,if the courses were made easier,thus contriving to make a leaderboard full of very low,red figures,the product would simply be mocked.

Why not make the holes bigger whilst they are at it ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
It's funny how the golf channel comes up with gimmicks and fail to look at themselves in the mirror. This might be the first time all year they've dedicated real time towards the LPGA from it's televising to promoting the tournament on it's morning drive show. They still haven't come up with an inside the LPGA show where they could promote unknown players and weekly tournaments. Any mention anywhere of the LPGA is usually barely a nod where they mention a winner of a tournament and a few scores of players who they perceive as important. I would usually say it doesn't matter what they do but they do OWN the damn rights to the product! If the aren't going to promote the LPGA properly who is going too?
ajraymond is offline   Reply With Quote