Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #1

Golfwriters again

BRITTANY LINCICOME, THE FEMALE DUSTIN JOHNSON?
Reiterman: Brittany "Bam Bam" Lincicome made a clutch par from the trees to win the Canadian Women's Open. It was Lincicome's fifth-career title and her second this year. Is it time to start adding Lincicome's name to the short list of best Americans? And will she ever join Kerr and Creamer at the top?
Shipnuck: Lincicome is a better closer than either Kerr or Wie, both of whom made late bogeys on Sunday to end their bid. Bam Bam has always been a tremendous talent but a bit flaky. She's gone to a different level since she started working with the Vision 54 peeps. I think she can be a dominant force on the LPGA.
Gorant: She teamed up with a new caddie, former LPGA player A.J. Eathorne, earlier this year and it really seems to have helped her. Could be the start of run.
Hack: Brittany has a major, multiple wins this year, and five victories over all. She has the length to beat anyone out there and a much-improved short game to boot. Can she be the top American? Stacy Lewis might have something to say about that.
Gorant: Is Lincicome to the LPGA what Dustin Johnson is to the PGA? Both crazy long hitters who struggle with their approach and won his/her fifth this week...
Hack: I like the analogy, right down to their veteran, all-business caddies.
Shipnuck: To that you can add that they don't, uh, overthink things.
Gorant: That's what I meant by "struggle with their approach" but I was trying to soft pedal it.
Shipnuck: This is Tour Confidential, Gorant. We don't soft pedal.
Gorant: True. True.
Tell us what you think: Does long-hitting Lincicome belong on the short list of the best American players?
WHAT'S NEXT FOR MICHELLE WIE?
Reiterman: One of Stanford's finest, Michelle Wie, nearly defended her title in Canada, but came up a stroke short. Let's get an update on your thoughts on Miss Michelle. How many of you think she'll start dominating once she's done with school, and how many of you think what we see is what we're going to get with Wie for the next few years?
Hack: I don't see her dominating, but the end of college and the long putter are clearly two chits in her favor.
Shipnuck: If you can forget about the pre-teen hype and just look at the last four years it's pretty incredible what she's accomplished as a pro golfer while also getting good grades at Stanford and enjoying the college experience. But after she graduates next year I'm not sure being a full-time golfer is going to turn Wie into a dominant player. She's too smart and has too many interests to be fulfilled hitting balls at the range all day. I doubt she'll last even as long as Lorena.
Reiterman: Wow! So when people walk through the World Golf Hall of Fame a few decades from now, they won't see a Michelle Wie exhibit in there?
Herre: I agree with Alan. Wie might not be cut out for the often-numbing life of a golf pro. More power to her. Annika's negative comments on Wie's life choices were really quite sad.
Shipnuck: Once she wins a few more times maybe it will become a habit, or an addiction. She clearly has Hall of Fame talent, and she does love the limelight and would probably embrace being number one. So she could do amazing things in this game. But it takes a certain single-mindedness that, I think, doesn't suit her.
Morfit: It's hard to get a read on Wie's future while she's still a student. Maybe she'll devote herself to golf, maybe not. Either way she will be fine. Can't say same for LPGA.
Wei: Yeah, she's way too multidimensional (unlike, say, Lincicome) with other interests she wants to pursue other than just golf -- and in order to be number one and dominant, it has to be your only focus. That doesn't mean she isn't the most talented woman to ever play the game though. I don't see her playing on the LPGA past the age of 30 and that's a generous number. But who knows, maybe if she takes a few years off to explore other interests, she'll come back to the game and reach all those milestones everyone expected from her since she was 13.
Hack: Whether Wie wants it badly or not might not even matter if Yani Tseng keeps winning majors at this clip. Wie could go on to have a fine career -- possibly a Hall of Fame one -- and for the sake of the game I hope she does. But all that Masters talk and the Big Wiesy trading tee shots with the Big Easy feels like a million years ago.
Gary Van Sickle, senior writer, Sports Illustrated: Wie will be a winner on the LPGA. Dominate? I'm not sure about that but she does have that kind of potential. Funny how a year ago we'd be saying, "Yeah, but she uses a long putter." Now we're talking about it like it's some kind of advantage. No dominant player has ever wielded a long putter. This is a new decade in a new century though.
Tell us what you think: Will Michelle Wie ever become a dominant player on the LPGA Tour?

Read more: PGA Tour Confidential: The Barclays - 4 - Tours & News - Golf.com
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Forum Moderator

Why don't they just rename the roundtable, the Wietable? At least it's somewhat justified this week because she was the defending champion and got a top-10 finish for a change.

Stupid comment of the week awards go to:

Wei for claiming Wie is "way too multidimensional (unlike, say, Lincicome) with other interests she wants to pursue other than just golf". I don't think she was being sarcastic, just wrong. Lincicome is famous for her outside interests: fishing, tennis, poker, etc.

Shipnuck for claiming, again, that Wie is not a full-time player and that "
just look at the last four years it's pretty incredible what she's accomplished as a pro golfer while also getting good grades at Stanford." First of all, no one knows what grades Wie is getting at Stanford. She reports on some here and there in press conferences. We don't know her official GPA and we don't know the curve or grade scale at Stanford. No one does except Michelle and the Stanford registrar's office. Second, what she's acomplished the last four years? Like two wins and only one top-ten in majors? That's an accomplishment? This year, with the paltriest of LPGA schedules, she has the worst results ever. It's not as if she's in organic chemistry class in the morning and playing the US Open in the afternoon.

Gorant for saying, "
Is Lincicome to the LPGA what Dustin Johnson is to the PGA? Both crazy long hitters who struggle with their approach and won his/her fifth this week..." Struggle with their approach? WTF is he talking about? And fifth win? More coincidental than anything. Dustin Johnson is dumber than a sack of rocks with outstanding natural athletic ability, but held back by his lack of maturity and limited intelligence. Brittany has nothing in common with that.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Dustin Johnson is dumber than a sack of rocks with outstanding natural athletic ability, but held back by his lack of maturity and limited intelligence. Brittany has nothing in common with that.
Brittany does have outstanding natural athletic ability but her problem isn't a lack of intelligence, it's a rather lazy attitude about practice coupled with frayed nerves during competition.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Lincicome is famous for her outside interests: fishing, tennis, poker, etc.
Indeed...man, that has to be one of the rattiest tennis courts I've ever seen though...those are pretty big cracks...

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
Brittany does have outstanding natural athletic ability but her problem isn't a lack of intelligence, it's a rather lazy attitude about practice coupled with frayed nerves during competition.
OK, yes, she has outstanding athletic ability, but in Dustin's case it's almost all he has. Poor guy was too dumb to read the local rules at Whistling Straights that were taped to the locker room mirror.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #6

These guys are hacks. I don't know why anyone is surprised when they say something stupid. Frankly, I'm more surprised when they don't.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #7

I'm more surprised that somebody actually pays them money to write this sh*t...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #8

I caught Michelle saying her parents want her to go to grad school but she's really not interested. My money's on the parents.

Problem with Wie is the money, stupid. She's already "earned" more than almost all the great LPGA players have in their lifetimes. Where's the incentive now?

Honestly, I'm really getting tired of all the "Stanford worship". At any decent college the first two years give a person enough of an intelligence framework.

Annika has been getting bashed more than a bit by suggesting Wie devote more time to her golf career but the thing is there are a whole lotta Stanford grads but only a handful of LPGA players with a similar achievement level as Annika Sorenstam.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #9

I wish MW would cut the cord. I'd love to see what she could do as her own person, whether it is on or off the course.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
I wish MW would cut the cord. I'd love to see what she could do as her own person, whether it is on or off the course.

Viva Annika
That really is the key. Whether or not she ever becomes the player her fans thinks she will, she's no longer the phenom. It's time she stood on her own, for better or for worse.