Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
I like the show as well but I DVR it at 4am on the west coast so I can FF through what I don't want to see or hear while eating breakfast but, all in all, it is a very good show.

By the way, I think EK and the girl have a little bit too much going on between them at times but that's their problem.
I'm pleasantly surprised that the show gives as much attention to women's golf and the LPGA as it does considering how little attention most shows (Golf Central, 19th hole...) gives to the LPGA and how uninformed the attention it does give is.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
The whole thing is bull$h!t and all the comments on here are bullshit too.

JMO, of course....

Anyone who takes PTI seriously on any sports subject, particularly golf...particularly WOMEN'S golf....is stupid.

They all praise Yani, correctly so, for her dominating play. What else are they gonna say?

But....the underlying point is that Yani is not the "face of the LPGA" as THEY WISH IT TO BE.

Read that again, folks. They are aware that Yani looks like a young guy and is not Paula or Natalie "attractive" in the way the media would like the LPGA champions to be....so they aren't really over the top about her win, or about her incredible major record. Yes, they mention it, but ...no so much.

I'm not being cruel to Yani, but she is not an attractive player. Hey....The Babe wasn't either! But, these days, the media wants "babes" rather than players. Seriously.

Yes, on the golfing part of it...they're all over Yani...but on the hype bit...eh. They know that except for big fans such as the ones posting here on this site, not many really care about Yani Tseng. My guess is that viewers turned off the coverage when it was clearly a blow out by some Chinese player.

Would they have done so if it had been a non Asian player? If it had been Paula or Morgan or Wie?
With all due respect, LoJo ... 1) Not everyone finds Yani to be so unattractive. Sure she's androgynously cute, not hot babe sexy, but she's not ugly and she smiles and has an engaging personality. 2) I think you are assuming that all the fans on TV are Americans of European origin who only want to watch other Americans of European origin. I don't think this is true. 3) I think you are wrong in assuming that Americans won't root for a non-American, or even a non-Caucasian or non-English speaker. Cases in point: Rory McIlroy, Annika Sorenstam, Lorena Ochoa, Tiger Woods, to name a few.

I believe golf fans, and American sports fans, are more diverse and more accepting of diversity.

Last edited by Blue; 06-28-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #13

It's not that Michelle's too smart for golf, it's that she's too rich for golf. Wie may yet follow in Annika's footsteps, the ones Annika's leaving now in the post golf world.

And that 25 major prediction was the topper.

Last edited by cleo; 06-28-2011 at 05:46 PM.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by cleo View Post
It's not that Michelle's too smart for golf, it's that she's too rich for golf. Wie may yet follow in Annika's footsteps, the one's Annika's leaving now in the post golf world.

And that 25 major prediction was the topper.
Michelle can only follow in Annika footsteps off the course if she first follows in her footsteps on the course.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #15

LJ
I'm glad you made the comments because if I made the same comments, as a male, I'd get slaughtered.

You certainly don't cut corners but your comments are generally true.

It not just the media, but male fans in generally want to see attractive female stars....including myself.

Yes, Yani is not the most attractive pro...but I root for her because I love her style of play, swing and personality...but unfortunately will never have the sponsorships of Paula, Nats, etc.
You're right in that apart from 'true' LPGA fans....most people don't really care much for Yani.

IMO....I think the North American fan base wants attractive stars and don't have to be born in North America.

I assume the western hemisphere would love to see the Spanish hotties of Aza, Belen and Beatriz contend week in and week out....ok maybe it's just me.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

3putt--
I assume you have never been to an LPGA event. Sure there are crowds of males, mostly under age 25 who run drooling after Natalie Gulbis or the latest babe du jour.

However, there are at least as many fans, or both genders and all ages, following less stereotypically attractive players like Juli Inkster and Christina Kim and Yani Tseng who are all extremely popular for a variety of reasons.

Also, the players that look really hot in their posed still shots, generally look way less hot in person playing in a tournament. In person everyone is taller, shorter, thinner or fatter than you might perceive on TV and most of them are a lot more jock-ish than pinup girl. Keep that in mind.

I'm not denying that there are lots of male fans like you that are mostly just interested in the LPGA to watch hot babes (or subset .. to watch hot Asian babes), but in my experience, this is far from most of the male golf fans.

Just my view.

Last edited by Blue; 06-28-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #17

Yes, just your view, Blue. But the fact is ....Yani is HUGELY attractive to GOLF fans because of her dominating play.

But...she is not an attractive player to the casual LPGA fan (the majority) who think she's just another "Asian" and know nothing about her. As I said before, the Babe was not a "babe" either, but we now live in different media society.

I can guarantee that when she was brilliantly blowing out the field at the LPGA Championship, that many fans who aren't "like us" would have just turned it off. It'd be like ...yawn...another Asian winning on "our" Tour. Trust me...it's true. They don't know whether she's Korean or Chinese or whatever. She ain't an American.

That's just the way it is.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #18

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
LJ
I'm glad you made the comments because if I made the same comments, as a male, I'd get slaughtered.

You certainly don't cut corners but your comments are generally true.

It not just the media, but male fans in generally want to see attractive female stars....including myself.

Yes, Yani is not the most attractive pro...but I root for her because I love her style of play, swing and personality...but unfortunately will never have the sponsorships of Paula, Nats, etc.
You're right in that apart from 'true' LPGA fans....most people don't really care much for Yani.

IMO....I think the North American fan base wants attractive stars and don't have to be born in North America.

I assume the western hemisphere would love to see the Spanish hotties of Aza, Belen and Beatriz contend week in and week out....ok maybe it's just me.
I know you as a fan, Mr3Putt....I know what the majority of male players want to see on the LPGA. I have no problem with it really. There are those who are really into the American "cheerleader" types like Paula or Natalie. And there are those who like 'hot' Asian babes ...of which there are many.

Jiyai Shin and Yani Tseng are not amongst them.

Only the really dedicated golf fans will go crazy for Shin or Tseng. The rest of the casual fans or the ones who only want to watch tits and ass will turn off. Especially with Yani. C'mon....she's trying her hardest to be more feminine...wearing pink and stuff like that...but forget it. She needs to just focus on her golf and forget the media crap.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #19

[QUOTE=Blue;116949]3putt--
I assume you have never been to an LPGA event.

You've read my posts and know I've attended many events (17 LPGA events starting from 1980 and more if there were more events here in the PNW)...but your statement doesn't surprise me...your MO is to antagonize others.

My favs aren't just the 20 something pros..they also include one's in their 30's & 40's and 50's like Vicki Goetz, Leta L, Laura Diaz, Kris Tschetter, Jackie Gallagher, Stephanie L, Jan Stephenson, Cindy Figg Currier, Cindy Rarick, etc.

My gorgeous wife is 13 yrs older than I...so much for I only attracted to younger ladies.

I prefer to see an attractive lady in a nice business suit vs. a bikini.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #20

LJ
As you know....people (male or female) who are attractive have an advantage....and attractiveness is an individual thing...what I may find attractive...others won't.

As a fan of golf.....yes I do enjoy watching the talent of the pros...especially the the ladies....I like watching the guys but can't relate to their game and can't learn much from their course mgmt because I'll never drive the ball 330 yds or spin a wedge 10 ft back...even if I took PED's...lol.

I've played to a 5-7 handicap for the last 28 years but get so much pleasure watching someone like Shin...who is 5 ft nothing drop a hybrid from 160 yds so consistently near the pin vs. my 7 iron....she'd kill me on the course.

Was watching Yani on Sunday boring?.....yes and no. Yes, because she was walking away with the trophy but continued to watch to see if she could reach -20-22.

I do like Yani's aggressive play when she's in trouble.

But I did bail on watching game 7 after the 2nd period to wash my car...after the Bruins were clocking the Canucks 3-0 and knew there was no way the Canucks were going to get 3 goals past Thomas in the 3rd period.

Luongo s_cks!!!