Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #1

Post Golf writers say:

They said it, not me!

LPGA OUTLOOK
Godich: Finally, the LPGA kicked off its season at the Women's Australian Open with a six-way playoff. Jessica Korda, 18, won with a birdie on the second hole. World No. 1 Yani Tseng is 22. Lexi Thompson turned 17 on Friday. Commissioner Michael Whan seems to be pushing all the right buttons. I say things are looking up for the LPGA. How about you?
Reiterman: I've said it before, it's now or never for the LPGA. They have plenty of young, talented ladies from all over the globe. They're engaging in person and on social media. Finally, they have a sharp leader in Whan. I'm buying stock.
Gorant: I think the big word is still Potential. Things are setting up in a way that could pay off, but it hasn't happened yet. Great as she is, Tseng has not connected with the U.S. audience. If Thompson and Korda emerge, they could break out. Still, the LPGA will probably always be a niche of a niche, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Herre: Whan is moving fast, that's for sure. Lots of people like the idea of the LPGA going global, but shoring up the U.S. portion of the schedule is critical.
Hanger: I think Gorant is right. No matter how many appealing young stars the LPGA gets, it'll always rely on a niche fan base. That niche might grow by a decent percentage, but it'll never be a major international sports league.
Rouse: The LPGA may produce a few big stars like Tseng, Lexi or Korda, but I don't think the tour as a whole can jump into the limelight ... ever.
Hack: I enjoy the LPGA and I like Whan, but the game needs big personalities and breakout stories that no one can predict, a la Tim Tebow and Jeremy Lin.
Van Sickle: Ultimately, the public decides which sports get media coverage. Demand for the LPGA is limited. Just like demand for women's college basketball or men's college wrestling. You're successful within your own world. The LPGA is a success. It's just not going to challenge the NFL, despite what one former tour commissioner suggested.
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #2

LPGA can at least learn from WTA, where they manage to win equal prize money with ATP.
18majors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #3

The article is bang on....the LPGA will only continue to target a niche audience.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #4

Originally Posted by 18majors View Post
LPGA can at least learn from WTA, where they manage to win equal prize money with ATP.
IMO...I think women's tennis benefits and gains exposure because the gals play at the same venue and weeks along with the guys at the majors.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
IMO...I think women's tennis benefits and gains exposure because the gals play at the same venue and weeks along with the guys at the majors.
You're right about the same venue. However, it still takes a long time for WTA to earn equal prize money.

WTA clearly has been benefitted by Serena Williams, Venus Williams and Maria Sharapova as very marketable commodities.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #6

The guys and gals of the WTA are under the same umbrella, whereas, the PGA and LPGA are separate and distinct entities. That will make it harder for purse parity to come about.
It takes roughly 4-6 million to sponsor an LPGA event, and around 7-10 mil for a PGA event. I can't see that grocery chain in the Northwest adding a couple of mil to increase the ladies purses, although I wish some sponsor would up the ante and, maybe, start a chain reaction. Doubtful though, eh?

Viva Annika
Old 02-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
The guys and gals of the WTA are under the same umbrella, whereas, the PGA and LPGA are separate and distinct entities. That will make it harder for purse parity to come about.
Huh? The WTA stands for Women's Tennis Association. The men's "umbrella" is the ATP.
TheBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #8

Oops! I was aware that I didn't know much about tennis, but I guess I know a lot less than I thought.
I did think that there was just one "commissioner" type that oversaw both men and women events....I'm not a huge fan of tennis, but I do enjoy the majors. I think with the men and women playing together made me think that way.
When you stand corrected by a poster named "The Brain", who can argue?

Viva Annika
Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #9

Nancy Lopez was the talk of the town and was as big as any PGA players during her 1978 run.

It won't hurt if Lexi, Jessica, Stacy, Paula or Michelle has a run like Lopez in 1978.