Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #1

Cool Golf writers...again...

More of the golf writers for y'all....Have at it, kids......

DOES THE SOLHEIM CUP NEED AN ASIAN TEAM?
Gorant: Yani Tseng just won the NW Arkansas event in a playoff. She's dominant in women's golf right now. Does her absence (as well as that of all the Korean players) make a mockery of the coming Solheim Cup?
Lipsey: Not having the dominant world No. 1 is not a good thing for the Solheim Cup.
Herre: Mockery is a little strong, but as we've said again and again, the LPGA needs to find a way to get the rest of the world involved. The tour is missing an opportunity here.
Reiterman: Doesn't make a mockery of the Solheim Cup, but why isn't there a Presidents Cup-type event for the ladies?
Wei: Impressive comeback by Tseng in the last five holes to tie things up and force a playoff. For most of the day, it looked like Yani couldn't get anything going and Amy Yang was going to cruise to the victory, but I had a sneaky feeling that she might make a few coming in. After all, she's No. 1 in the world.
Herre: Having spent time in NW Arkansas, I can attest that it's a perfect market for the LPGA. Not too big, not too small. Just right. Aside from Razorback football, the LPGA was the hottest ticket in town last week.
Van Sickle: It looks like the new Corning Classic of the LPGA.
Dusek: The Solheim Cup is still going to be a good event. What the absence of the South Korean players does is highlight the need for an event like the Solheim Cup that includes them.
Van Sickle: Solheim Cup is already a little bit of a mockery. American golf isn't all that strong. Neither is European golf. This is like having the Diamondbacks and the Indians in the World Series while pretending the Yankees don't exist. The rest of the world needs to be included, either with a third team. The Solheim Cup was always a bit shaky when Karrie Webb and Lorena Ochoa were excluded, too. Solheim Cup needs an off-year match between the Solheim Cup loser and the yet-to-be-created Asian-Australia team. The winner of the off-year event advances to the Solheim Cup proper the next year to face the reigning champs. But that means America wouldn't always be in the Solheim Cup. Tough.
Wei: Mockery is a little strong. The Solheim Cup is about a competition between GB&I and the US. To say that her absence makes it a joke is like saying the Ryder Cup wouldn't have been complete with Vijay in '04. I say it just calls for the LPGA to come up with a match-play competition, like the Presidents Cup (even if it is contrived).
Gorant: Maybe we should start one. The SI Cup, anyone?
Walker: The USA-Asia rivalry in women's golf is another reason that Olympic golf is going to be really, really cool.
Herre: Good point, Mike. Could be that the women's Olympic tournament ends up more compelling than the men's.
Van Sickle: I'm not sure how much USA-Asia rivalry there will be in the Olympics. Might be six or eight Asians in the field and only two or three Americans.
Tell us what you think: Does women's golf need a USA vs. Asia format like the Solheim Cup?

Read more: PGA Tour Confidential: FedEx playoff predictions - 2 - Tours & News - Golf.com
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #2

Wei thinks that the Solheim is GB&I versus the US. WHAT????
Wei: Mockery is a little strong. The Solheim Cup is about a competition between GB&I and the US.
Someone better tell Hjorth, Hedwall, Munoz, et al to get the hell OFF the team!

I have just one word to say about this whole tired conversation.....

ARRRRGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Contest Statistician

I had a contest with myself to see how long it would take for someone to say that. The "other Wei" is usually pretty good.

It's more like US Vs GB/Nordic's

Last edited by xman5; 09-12-2011 at 12:45 PM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #4

IMO, this moron needs to be tarred, feathered and ran out of town on a rail.
------------------------------------
Van Sickle: Solheim Cup is already a little bit of a mockery. American golf isn't all that strong. Neither is European golf. This is like having the Diamondbacks and the Indians in the World Series while pretending the Yankees don't exist. The rest of the world needs to be included, either with a third team. The Solheim Cup was always a bit shaky when Karrie Webb and Lorena Ochoa were excluded, too. Solheim Cup needs an off-year match between the Solheim Cup loser and the yet-to-be-created Asian-Australia team. The winner of the off-year event advances to the Solheim Cup proper the next year to face the reigning champs. But that means America wouldn't always be in the Solheim Cup. Tough.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #5

Smile

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
I had a contest with myself to see how long it would take for someone to say that. The "other Wei" is usually pretty good.

It's more like US Vs GB/Nordic's
Her name is pronounced "Way" not "Wee".
Old 09-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #6

Here's an idea. Get those golf experts to promote Asian male golfers who are hardly ever talked about. They could play teams
from US and Europe. They could call it the Ryder Cup. Yeah thats the ticket,
BigBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #7

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
No matter how you pronounbce it, she isn't overly bright.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #8

Half a brain between them and they'd still be lonely! Sheesh.

If they knew anything at all about women's golf, they'd know the Lexus Cup was of similar format, prior to that the Women's World Cup. Neither was successful, more's the pity.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
Yes I know that,but I thought that she used to call herself "The other Wei", even though spelled differently.

She usually has good comments, but just slipped up here.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #10

Smile

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Yes I know that,but I thought that she used to call herself "The other Wei", even though spelled differently.

She usually has good comments, but just slipped up here.
Maybe she did at one time, anyway, her blog is OK most of the time but some of the posters on her blog are a little over the top. To her credit, she lets them get away with being over the top most of the time.

In addition, some of her blog posters are very funny, but if I copied the comment one of them made about Wiesy changing her hair color to red, which I thought was hilarious, updev might have a stroke.