Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #1

Cool Golf Writers...

YANI DOES IT AGAIN
Dusek: Yani Tseng won the LPGA Taiwan Championship on Sunday, giving her 10 victories on the year and $2,873,629 on the season. At just 22, does anyone doubt that she'll be at least as dominant in 2012? Who will emerge as her major rival?
Herre: If the LPGA is lucky, Yani will get some competition from Lexi Thompson.
Lipsey: The most impressive season we've seen in many years, male or female. Tseng has no rival, except Patty Berg's LPGA record of 15 majors.
Wei: Lexi Thompson is the only feasible rival for Yani.
Lipsey: Possible, but unlikely. Winners like Tseng tend to come one at a time.
Godich: Michelle Wie. All she has to do is get that degree so she can focus solely on golf. Or so I'm told.
Gorant: I agree with that, minus the sarcasm.
Shipnuck: Lexi has more power and just as much determination. All she needs is a little more seasoning. Yani is going to own 2012, but after that it could be an epic rivalry.
Van Sickle: I don't see Tseng's rival yet. She probably won't be an American.
Wei: I have no doubt Yani will be just as dominant in 2012, and for many more years to come -- in a Tiger-like way.
Tell us what you think: Will Yani dominate again in 2012? Who will emerge as her biggest rival?

Read more: PGA Tour Confidential: Luke Donald rallies at Disney, wins PGA Tour money title - 3 - Tours & News - Golf.com
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #2

When Lexi's game is in good shape she can challenge Yani, however, Lexi's game tends to be inconsistent, M/C one week and go low the next, so my guess is that Yani will still be the "man" on the LPGA tour in 2012.

Yani POY again in 2012.
Yani Vare trophy again in 2012
Yani leading money winner again in 2012.
Yani most wins in 2012.
Lexi ROY in 2012 and she might steal a women's major from Yani.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #3

I can't believe there are still people out there buying into Michelle Wie. The same old "when she is done school" excuse even though she has played pretty much full time on the LPGA for three years. Anyway since this is a site where we actually watch the golf and not look at the box score to give an opinion, the correct answer for a Tseng rivalry is Na Yeon Choi. The only reason I would say Choi over Shin is she hits the ball further than Ji Yai . That being said the two best American hopes are probably Thompson and Stacey Lewis. Stacey has that Luke Donald consistency and has improved every year on tour so maybe next year she can take a huge step. Lexi is a great ball striker with a sometimes wonky putter but she has a decent short game so the tools are all there for improvement. Right now though nobody is even close to Yani. She is firing on all cylinders in all facets of the game. If somebody wants to wrestle number one from Yani they better pack a lunch!
ajraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #4

Originally Posted by ajraymond View Post
I can't believe there are still people out there buying into Michelle Wie. The same old "when she is done school" excuse even though she has played pretty much full time on the LPGA for three years.
Old habits are hard to break.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #5

One other thing about Yani. I have read from time to time, some interest by media knuckleheads, in seeing Yani tee it up against men in serious competition.

I hope she is able to resist that media temptation because it's a no win situation for her to take on men in serious competition.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
Old habits are hard to break.

We are like crack addicts.

As soon as she is out of school and masters the Long Putter, watch out.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
Contest Statistician

When Lexi's game is in good shape she can challenge Yani, however, Lexi's game tends to be inconsistent, M/C one week and go low the next, so my guess is that Yani will still be the "man" on the LPGA tour in 2012.

Yani POY again in 2012.
Yani Vare trophy again in 2012
Yani leading money winner again in 2012.
Yani most wins in 2012.
Lexi ROY in 2012 and she might steal a women's major from Yani.
Lets compare Lexi at 16 to Yani at 16. I think the Lexi at 16 is well ahead of the Yani at 16. However Lexi needs more time to refin her game. I think that Lexi at 20 or 21 could challenge the 26yo Yani.

The question is does the Yani of now keep up the same Annika like pace for the next few years. I think so.

So I think that we need to wait a few years for Lexi to catch up, then I think we have a good battle. Of course Lexi will get her wins, just not at a Yani projected pace(5-10) a year probable for the next few years.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #8

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Lets compare Lexi at 16 to Yani at 16. I think the Lexi at 16 is well ahead of the Yani at 16. However Lexi needs more time to refin her game. I think that Lexi at 20 or 21 could challenge the 26yo Yani.

The question is does the Yani of now keep up the same Annika like pace for the next few years. I think so.

So I think that we need to wait a few years for Lexi to catch up, then I think we have a good battle. Of course Lexi will get her wins, just not at a Yani projected pace(5-10) a year probable for the next few years.
IMO, it's not years, it's one full season and then we will all know whether or not Lexi is going to be a rival of Yani's in 2013 and beyond.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #9

IMO, it's not years, it's one full season and then we will all know whether or not Lexi is going to be a rival of Yani's in 2013 and beyond.
No,we won't.

Alexis Thompson will still only be seventeen at the conclusion of the 2012 season.You can't project her career path based on what she does in her age seventeen season.

If she just gets a handful of top tens in '12,that doesn't mean she can't challenge Yani Tseng in future years.She's demonstrated the ability to play,and win,with the big girls;now she has to demonstrate the ability to do it week in,week out.

I've got no idea whether she'll reach her potential or not,but I do know that she doesn't necessarily need to reach it in her rookie season.

She's got time on her side.

Of course,one should ignore the golfing media hyping her as Tseng's only potential challenger.

You know,seeing as how their last anointed one turned out...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 10-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
No,we won't.

Alexis Thompson will still only be seventeen at the conclusion of the 2012 season.You can't project her career path based on what she does in her age seventeen season.

If she just gets a handful of top tens in '12,that doesn't mean she can't challenge Yani Tseng in future years.She's demonstrated the ability to play,and win,with the big girls;now she has to demonstrate the ability to do it week in,week out.

I've got no idea whether she'll reach her potential or not,but I do know that she doesn't necessarily need to reach it in her rookie season.

She's got time on her side.

Of course,one should ignore the golfing media hyping her as Tseng's only potential challenger.

You know,seeing as how their last anointed one turned out...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Saint,

While I know Lexi's game is inconsistent at the moment I also know it is brilliant at times, so don't be surprised if you see Lexi pick a women's major out of Yani's back pocket in 2012.