Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #41

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Great point about Lorena Ochoa.

For being that good,that quickly,she's denied entry.

So,if she came back when she was 45,and didn't make a cut for two years,would she then be eligible for the HOF ?

It's ass-backwards,as they say in your part of the world...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
So,if she came back when she was 45,and didn't make a cut for two years,would she then be eligible for the HOF ?

Yes, but the question is, what would her current LPGA tour status be if she did return at the age of 40+? Would she still be exempt?
Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #42

Cool

She will be an HoF member long before she is 45.....no doubt about it.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #43

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
She will be an HoF member long before she is 45.....no doubt about it.

Viva Annika
Buzzer,

Are you thinking of the Veteran's committee? They also desire the 10 year active member qualification, although the word should is used, not must.
------------------------------------------

Veteran's (inactive) members:

Each year the Veteran's Committee may choose to nominate one retired LPGA Tour player to the LPGA Tour membership for a vote to entrance to the LPGA Tour Hall of Fame. To be nominated by the Veteran's Committee, a player must receive a two-thirds vote of the committee members. Any member nominated by the Veteran's Committee must receive at least a 75 percent majority vote of the LPGA Tour membership who respond by ballot. To be considered by the Veteran's Committee for entrance to the LPGA Tour Hall of Fame, retired members of the LPGA Tour should:

1. Have been an "active" member of the LPGA Tour for a minimum of 10 years;
2. Have been an inactive or retired member of the LPGA Tour for a minimum of five consecutive years prior to the year of nomination;
3. Have won/been awarded at least one of the following - an LPGA major championship, the Vare Trophy or Rolex Player of the Year honors; and
4. Have had an extraordinary career that significantly impacted the growth of the LPGA Tour.

LPGA.com
Old 10-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #44
sag

Originally Posted by prime007 View Post
Perhaps award a fraction of a point for wins outside the US LPGA (up to a certain point)? Example: .25 HOF point for a KLPGA, JLPGA, or LET win. This is supposedly for the "WORLD" Golf Hall of Fame....not the US Golf Hall of Fame. It would acknowledge the wins players have on other major tours, yet acknowledge the superior quality of talent of the LPGA and better address the issue of limited tournaments. The two players (that come to my mind) who would really be effected by this would be Jiyai Shin (21 KLPGA wins & 5 JLPGA wins) and Laura Davies.
It's not for the "WORLD" Golf Hall of Fame--it's for the LPGA Hall of Fame.

History Of The LPGA Tour Hall Of Fame
Established in 1967, the LPGA Tour Hall of Fame traces its roots all the way back to the Hall of Fame of Women's Golf, which was instituted in 1950 at Augusta (Ga.) Country Club. Six LPGA players were members of the Hall of Fame of Women's Golf when the LPGA voted to establish its own Hall of Fame, with membership limited to members of the LPGA Tour.
For women who do not meet the LPGA criteria, they can still enter the World Golf Hall of Fame through the International Ballot.
Minimum of 40 years old
Cumulative 50 points earned as follows:
6 points – Major victories
4 points – Other LPGA Tour win, Women's British Open win prior to 2001
2 points – LPGA of Japan Tour win, Ladies European Tour win
1 point – Other national championship win, Solheim Cup participation

Regarding the LPGA Hall of Fame specifically, why should the LPGA care what players do on other tours? Why should Davies get credit for what she did on the LET? Should they go back and put Ayako Okamoto in the LPGA Hall of Fame because of all the wins she had in Japan? (Okamoto is already in the World Golf Hall of Fame via the International ballot.)
sag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #45
sag

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
Yani is really going to make it difficult for other players to accumulate HOF points at a rate they need in order to get to 27 before the prime of their golf career is over.
Not really. Annika won 72 LPGA events and the only player she's kept out of the HOF is Laura Davies. That is, Davies is two points short and has finished solo second to Annika three times. I'm not aware of any other player kept out of the HOF by any other one Hall of Famer. I don't envision a future glut of players finishing their careers on exactly 26 points, or maybe 25, for Yani to be costing them.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #46

Originally Posted by sag View Post
Not really. Annika won 72 LPGA events and the only player she's kept out of the HOF is Laura Davies. That is, Davies is two points short and has finished solo second to Annika three times. I'm not aware of any other player kept out of the HOF by any other one Hall of Famer. I don't envision a future glut of players finishing their careers on exactly 26 points, or maybe 25, for Yani to be costing them.
Fewer events on the schedule plus Yani is winning a higher percentage of women's majors than Annika ever did, leads me to believe that it's going to be tougher for other players to accumulate 27 HOF points in the Yani era, than it was for other players to accumulate 27 HOF points in the Annika era.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #47

sag...thanks for reminding me about the International Ballot! I totally forgot for that. So it looks like Laura Davies and Suzann Pettersen(!!) already qualify for the Hall of Fame via the International Ballot!

Suzann's Total = 50
McDonald's LPGA Championship (2007 Major) - 6 pts
LPGA Tournament wins (7) - 28 pts total
LET Tournament wins (5) - 10 pts total
Solheim Cup representation (2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011) - 6 pts

Am I doing this right?!
prime007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #48

and it looks like Yani would already qualify for the Hall of Fame via the International Ballot too!

Yani's Total = 64 pts!
5 Major Championships - 30 pts
7 LPGA regular tour wins - 28 pts
3 LET/ALPG wins - 6 pts

Hmmm....maybe someone should inform Yani that she doesn't need to win anymore tournaments as she's already qualified for the HOF.
prime007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #49
sag

Originally Posted by prime007 View Post
Hmmm....maybe someone should inform Yani that she doesn't need to win anymore tournaments as she's already qualified for the HOF.
All meeting the minimum point totals does is get a player onto the ballot. She would still need to be voted in by 65% of the voters. Realistically, a player would need to be significantly above the minimum, like Davies or say Lorena Ochoa with 108.