Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

Reply
 
LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 08:58 AM   2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,137
If golf does die, it has had a good run for a game designed around the overall diameter of a piece of drainage/sewer pipe from the mid_1800's.

PS: I probably should have said a game where the STANDARD hole size was determined by the overall diameter of a piece of drainage/sewer pipe used as a hole cutter in the mid_1800's.
__________________
My "dream" girl: LPGA seasonal tour stats <=66 & >=270

Last edited by gxer; 07-23-2014 at 11:40 AM.
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,137
Maybe golf is dying faster than we think it is.
Dick’s fires more than 500 PGA pros - GolfWRX
__________________
My "dream" girl: LPGA seasonal tour stats <=66 & >=270
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #33
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by gxer View Post
Maybe golf is dying faster than we think it is.
Dick’s fires more than 500 PGA pros - GolfWRX
Why did Dicks's even have PGA pros working in their stores? I've bought golf stuff at Dick's and I never realized the clerks were anything more than typical big box store clerks who maybe had some interest in golf. I didn't expect the service to be any better than that and it wasn't.

Is Dick's soccer department or hunting department staffed by soccer and hunting pros?

I don't think the Dick's problem has to do with golf's decline, though golf is declining. Dick's problem was hiring golf pros to work in an environment where they are neither expected nor cost effective.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,137
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Why did Dicks's even have PGA pros working in their stores? I've bought golf stuff at Dick's and I never realized the clerks were anything more than typical big box store clerks who maybe had some interest in golf. I didn't expect the service to be any better than that and it wasn't.

Is Dick's soccer department or hunting department staffed by soccer and hunting pros?

I don't think the Dick's problem has to do with golf's decline, though golf is declining. Dick's problem was hiring golf pros to work in an environment where they are neither expected nor cost effective.
They were there to support the golf business, other tasks that they did, were supposed to be gravy. However, as the golf business decayed, it became clear even to pointy headed executives that it made no sense to keep them around because they were paid substantially more money than general clerks, so they were all fired.
__________________
My "dream" girl: LPGA seasonal tour stats <=66 & >=270
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #35
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by gxer View Post
They were there to support the golf business, other tasks that they did, were supposed to be gravy. However, as the golf business decayed, it became clear even to pointy headed executives that it made no sense to keep them around because they were paid substantially more money than general clerks, so they were all fired.
Support the golf business in what way?

I'm not saying that golf interest is not declining. But no one has really explained what 500 PGA pros actually did or were supposed to do at Dick's Sporting Goods.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,137
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Support the golf business in what way?

I'm not saying that golf interest is not declining. But no one has really explained what 500 PGA pros actually did or were supposed to do at Dick's Sporting Goods.
It seems clear to me, that the pros were supposed to support the golf business in such a way that golfers would tend to purchase golf equipment at Dick's rather than a competitor.
__________________
My "dream" girl: LPGA seasonal tour stats <=66 & >=270
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #37
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by gxer View Post
It seems clear to me, that the pros were supposed to support the golf business in such a way that golfers would tend to purchase golf equipment at Dick's rather than a competitor.
Again, support the golf business in what specific ways? What were they supposed to add to the golf shopper's experience at Dicks?

No one seems to know or be able to explain.

It was a bad business decision in the first place, regardless of how popular golf is.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,137
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Again, support the golf business in what specific ways? What were they supposed to add to the golf shopper's experience at Dicks?

No one seems to know or be able to explain.

It was a bad business decision in the first place, regardless of how popular golf is.
blue, you are doing it again. Have a good day.
__________________
My "dream" girl: LPGA seasonal tour stats <=66 & >=270

Last edited by gxer; 07-25-2014 at 11:26 AM.
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #39
Elf
Senior Member
 
Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 3,197
Send a message via MSN to Elf
Pro golfers belong on Golf Courses, Golf equipment salesmen at Golf stores. Switching roles is stupid, a guaranteed failure either way.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #40
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by gxer View Post
blue, you are doing it again. Have a good day.
Doing what? Asking a question in response to your claim and insisting that you answer it?

Obviously, you can't answer the question of what exact role the PGA pros were supposed to play at Dick's so you resorted to throwing out an insult and walking away. Classy move.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mylpga.com/forum/f24/golf-really-dying-drastic-changes-good-idea-8556.html
Posted By For Type Date
Dick&#8217;s fires more than 500 PGA pros - GolfWRX This thread Refback 10-20-2014 09:16 PM
Dick&#8217;s fires more than 500 PGA pros - GolfWRX This thread Refback 07-23-2014 10:18 AM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2 PL2

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!