Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post
Why would she only play til 27?
Tonight on the Golf Channel 19th hole they asked the three goof balls, I mean the three supposed experts who has a better chance of surpassing Nicklaus's 18 major records, Yani or Tiger. Two of the three fools, I mean esteemed journalists, said Tiger. Hawkins claimed it was because "the last two women walked away at the top of the game" and there is "evidence to believe that there is something different in the competitive factor in women that they won't take it as deep."

Ummm, maybe. Men play longer careers for two big reasons and neither have to do with "competitive factor." 1) Women quit to have babies. 2) Men hang on as they get older because there is the light of the Champions Tour at the end of the tunnel.

Might Yani, like Lorena or Annika ,retire young or even at the peak of her career to have babies or because she's approaching 40 and has accomplished everything? Sure. But she already has 5 majors at age 22. That's a big jump start before aging, biological clocks and boredom sets in.

On the other hand, Tiger only needs 5 more to break the record. Can he do this at age 35 with a body that breaks down often? Hard to say.

Last edited by Blue; 08-04-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #12

BKB...we often are on the same page with women's sports...it continues to intrigue me about the differences between the WTA and the LPGA. I continue to look for the "golden ticket" which magically explains the wide gap which exists between the two sports as far as sales and marketing. The "ova's" who have been so successful in the past on the WTA are of no comparison to the "controversial" discussion related to the LPGA's Asian invasion. What's so different? I have simplified the issue for here but it intrigues me nonetheless!
Whistling Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #13

Li Na's Popularity In China Poised To Make Her Top Earning Female In Sports - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal

Tennis player Li Na is “poised to become the richest woman in sport as companies fight to cash in on her enormous popularity in China,” according to Malcolm Moore of the London TELEGRAPH. Li has signed “at least $42 million of sponsorship deals this year with the likes of Mercedes-Benz, Rolex and Haagen Dazs, who believe that she may be the key to the lucrative Chinese market.” Her agent, Max Eisenbud, said it was "hard to set a price" after Li became the first Chinese player to win a grand slam tennis tournament, adding, "We had to change it a lot." Li currently is “only out-earned” by tennis player Maria Sharapova.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #14

The set-up for Patrick in IndyCar is madness. Every team contributes to her base salary, because of her supposed marquee value to the entire venture.

Cglen...what are you referencing on this?

Also, Danica is a fixture here in Wisconsin and Illinois with her racing at many of the local tracks and Milwaukee Mile participation. Despite her temperament on occasion she has always seemed to get positive press here and I've never heard a negative word about her parent's involvement. A quick Google search indicates there has been a time or two where her parents may have said the wrong thing but there's no indication they have as horrible a reputation as you portray. There is plenty of mention about them being somewhat protective about their daughter getting eaten alive in the male sport of car racing so maybe you have been witness to that.

All I can say is that I have friends who have had firsthand racing experiences with Danica on the local tracks as she was being raised and they had nothing negative to say about her or her parents.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #15
Donating Member

Originally Posted by Whistling Straight View Post
BKB...we often are on the same page with women's sports...it continues to intrigue me about the differences between the WTA and the LPGA. I continue to look for the "golden ticket" which magically explains the wide gap which exists between the two sports as far as sales and marketing. The "ova's" who have been so successful in the past on the WTA are of no comparison to the "controversial" discussion related to the LPGA's Asian invasion. What's so different? I have simplified the issue for here but it intrigues me nonetheless!
Women's tennis majors at least are at the same time and place as the men's. Same TV event, same press. I think this allowed the women to push for equal purses, which may in-turn cause more interest by TV and advertisers.

People of my age remember the great female rivalries, we got hooked early in the late 60's and 70's. In my family we watched some tennis (my dad had played in college) and men's golf. But with the TV on men's tennis we saw quite a bit of female play and eventually favored. So some good luck was involved for WTA getting these long term rivalries of interesting female players. Golf is getting some of this rivalry, but not enough (Annika and Lorena retiring).

So a superstar rivalry would help. Yani is setting up as one such player and now need a second player (instead of a slew of players cycling in to second place from week to week). Needs to be so simple; Phil vs Tiger to capture the attention of men at least.

Women tennis is more fun than men's (IMHO); there are actual rallies and is not so dependent on the serve which detracts from the men's game in my opinion. Female golf appears on TV to be the same as men. Maybe not unique enough, so why not watch Tiger? The stronger men's game does not detract from the enjoyment of the event.

Tennis is sort of perfect for a TV event. The matches are scheduled, you can follow your favorite easily (until they lose). TV on golf is scattered across the course, you have to jump from one player to another. You as the watcher sort of have to learn the course so you can appreciate the difficulty of a shot or hole. And if your player is doing poorly, they show them not at all for four days. With poor TV coverage you miss one half the players on Thursday and Friday.

I guess the golden ticket is made up of several portions.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #16

Awesome response CT. I am 52 years of age so I hear ya about watching womens tennis on tv although I think you have your era a little too early for when womens tennis became popular on tv - maybe the mid 70's without checking any references. I would seriously question whether or not the networks were covering as much of the women as the men until we saw some of the made-for-tv challenges which sprung up in the mid- to- late- 70's, if my ever-increasing failing memory serves me right. Certainly any rivalries didn't appear until later in the decade because the WTA was too young to have developed rivalries earlier.

Regardless of the timeframe, your points are entirely valid. A single major tournament event with both male/female draws automatically meant coverage for both and it seemed to be that tennis always had marque attractions. Perhaps that's what I reference as the unidentifiable golden ticket explaining the difference between the WTA and the LPGA!

Another excellent point can be concluded concerning the point rallies. I also still enjoy the womens game for its rallies versus the super power mens game. BKB may remember also the days of Andrea Jaeger however when she was criticized for her "moon balls" which slowed matches to the point of boredom for fans...similar to the North Carolina Phil Ford four corner offense! Ahhh i show my age!

By the way, BKB, have you considered a myWTA website? Would love it!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #17

CT
You make some good points that women's tennis gets good attention when the men and gals are playing the same events, especially the majors.

It will be interesting in 2014 when the USO ans USWO are played back to back at Pinehurst #2.

It might not be good for attendance as some of the locals may not want to attend or spend the money to watch the USWO the following week.
But maybe be good from a TV perspective, as likely the guys will be playing a 'no name" PGA event the week after the USO.

But for the avid golf fans who stay for 2 weeks, it will be amazing.

On another point, I'm surprised Pebble, Blackpage Black or other premier private courses (except for Oakmont, recently) have not hosted a USWO in recent decades.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #18

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Tonight on the Golf Channel 19th hole they asked the three goof balls, I mean the three supposed experts who has a better chance of surpassing Nicklaus's 18 major records, Yani or Tiger. Two of the three fools, I mean esteemed journalists, said Tiger. One claimed it was because "the last two women walked away at the top of the game" and there is "evidence to believe that there is something difference in the competitive factor in women that they won't take it as deep."

Ummm, maybe. Men play longer careers for two big reasons and neither have to do with "competitive factor." 1) They quit to have babies. 2) They hang on as they get older because there is the light of the Champions Tour at the end of the tunnel.

Might Yani, like Lorena or Annika ,retire young or even at the peak of her career to have babies or because she's approaching 40 and has accomplished everything? Sure. But she already has 5 majors at age 22. That's a big jump start before aging, biological clocks and boredom sets in.

On the other hand, Tiger only needs 5 more to break the record. Can he do this at age 35 with a body that breaks down often? Hard to say.
I can't believe we agree on something again.

Hawkins is a grease ball and Miceli is a bow-tie clown.
What an idiot reply from Hawkins (I believe it was he) on Yani not making it to 18 majors.

And what purpose does Winn serve?

But I do like Holly Sonders.....a Major babe.....let her talk more....at least she played collegiate golf and must know a thing or two about golf.

The execs of GC are fools.
Steph Sparks is a doll (glad I met her in Portland last yr).....is now MIA this year except for Big Break...she deserves better....I've always felt Steph deserves Kelly's job.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:04 AM   #19

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post

On another point, I'm surprised Pebble, Blackpage Black or other premier private courses (except for Oakmont, recently) have not hosted a USWO in recent decades.
Bethpage isn't a private course.

Anyone can turn up and play it,I think.

Although,hopefully,not the female pros,as I shudder to think how the USGA would set that course up for a USWO : ''Par will be 75 this week,and we've decided not to play the two most difficult holes.''

I exaggerate,but only slightly...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #20
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Bethpage isn't a private course.

Anyone can turn up and play it,I think.

Although,hopefully,not the female pros,as I shudder to think how the USGA would set that course up for a USWO : ''Par will be 75 this week,and we've decided not to play the two most difficult holes.''

I exaggerate,but only slightly...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
It's not just public, it's a muni.

Hopefully if the women's Open came to Bethpage the USGA wouldn't be as ignorant about the women's game as the LGU was with Carnoustie.

Anyway, I think the reason they haven't hosted the a women's event at Pebble or Bethpage or Torrey Pines (another public course) is that they've been hosting men's events. Hosting big events involves closing the course for a long time leading up to the event and they public/membership who uses the course won't stand for this too often especially if it's for a girl's event.

Last edited by Blue; 08-04-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote