Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #1

Fear Factor

I was just wondering how other board members would rate players on a "Fear Factor" scale. What I mean is, you see that name on the top of the leaderboard and fear a runaway victory. So that may or may not make Yani the most feared. Amy Yang had a chance to win. Stacy Lewis passed Yani at KNC. Yani has had her easy wins too, but I still have not put her in Annika territory; closer to Lorena, although I would give Lorena the edge. She often ended tournaments by Saturday. As a Seoul Sister fan, I know when I see Cristie Kerr or Suzann Pettersen on top after 2 rounds I get that "uh oh" feeling, although Suzann has been known to blow leads. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being Annika and 1 being...well, whomever you have no fear of...maybe a player outside the top 100...how would you rate players in the lead going into the final round? This doesn't mean most likely to win any tournament. Then you could just list the best players. This is who is the most feared to make it a race for 2nd place when they have the lead. For example, Karrie Webb isn't what she once was, but if she's in the lead or near it going into the final round, I like her chances to close more than Jiyai, who is better week to week at the moment.

For me:

Annika 10
Lorena 9
Yani 8.5
Cristie 7.5
Paula 7
Karrie 7
Suzann 6.5
Ai 6.5
Bam Bam 6
Stacy Lewis 5
Jiyai 4.5
Na Yeon 2.5

I put Annika and Lorena in there as a reference. Although I am a Seoul Sister fan, I didn't give much love to them because right now they are not closing the show when they have chances. Jiyai couldn't make a putt that counted at Kia. Na Yeon collapsed as well this year...mobile right now, don't remember the tournament she blew it. A year ago, they would have both been higher. Maybe next year they will be also.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #2

Feel free to disagree and delete or add names. That's why I started the thread :)
Old 09-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #3

Annika 10
Lorena 9.5
Yani 8.5
Stacy 8
BamBam 7.5
Suzann 7
Cristie 6.5
Ai 6.5
Paula 6
Angela Stamford 5.5
Karrie 4.5
Amy Yang 4
Jiyai 3.5

I think Lorena was a little closer to Annika than Yani is to Lorena. Stacy, BamBam, Suzann and Ai are all winners this year. If Ai was a little longer off the tee I think I would have put her above Suzann. Cristie has had a consistent year, but no win; same with Paula.
Angela hasn't had a standout year, but is always dangerous. Karrie, not to be mean, is aging gracefully. The way Amy Yang hits it all she needs is that first win and I think she will be a top challanger. If, when,( soon I hope), JiYai regains her health she should improve her position rapidly.
I've based this on the current year. Next year with an influx of new players we might not recognize this list. Who knows??? (Fun topic, BKB..thanx)
And so it goes...

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #4

I was torn about where to put Stacy. I think she's a closer, but I need to see more. Karrie doesn't put herself in position to win as much, but twice early in the year she closed when she was close. Chased down Chie Arimura in one of her wins.

Wasn't sure where I'd rate Morgan but for Michelle Wie I would say even though I'm a fan she would be in the 2-3 range. She has a couple of wins and I hope for more, but I think she's come up short enough times that nobody fears her in the lead unless it's a huge lead.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #5

No one has the intimidation factor that Annika had. Lorena was obviously tough, as is Yani, but I don't see anyone who could hold off persuers as well as Annika did.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #6

I'd put Cristie up behind Yani if her name is at the top of the leaderboard. This year, it seems she has been trying to come from behind in many events. But, I think as a leader, she closes more than not. Could be wrong....I guess I could look it up or Google it. haha

Also, I'd put Pettersen right behind Kerr. Again, she's not been able to finish off some events or not been able to make a good charge on the last day. But, that game face is a major intimidation factor if she's on her game.

The rest of them....eh. A toss up week to week. I'd agree w/ Karrie being up there, but her days of domination are far behind, so it's not like she's up there week to week. If she's putting well...yes, she will finish it off, but these days, that's iffy.

No one brings it like Annika did. Incredible distance control with her irons. Shocking sometimes. Plus, her golf mind was one of the greatest ever.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #7

I remember, as a Seoul Sister fan, when I would see Annika at or near the top in the first two rounds it was a sense of inevitability. Even when a Seoul Sister was leading, I would look to see where Annika was during the last round. I might not have this exactly correct but doesn't she hold some record for the largest stroke deficit made up in the final round to win? I might have my facts mixed up on that one. Nonetheless, in her prime if you were the leader and you watched the board during your round; seeing Annika's name get closer and closer had to be unnerving.

Did they ever do a stat on how her playing partners fared during final group pairings with Annika. Back when Tiger was dominant I remember a lot being made of how when he had the lead on Sunday, in many cases his playing partners really didn't put a lot of pressure on him with a few exceptions. Did Annika freeze her partners on Sunday when she had the lead?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #8

I don't know about any of the stats you wondered about.

As far as Annika "freezing" her fellow competitors on Sunday when in the lead. I'd say they froze themselves....she didn't do anything but show up to play golf.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #9

I looked it up. Annika shares the record for largest deficit overcome at the start of the final round with Mickey Wright and Louise Friberg. Annika overcame a 10 shot deficit to start the round to beat Peanut in a playoff at the 2001 Office Depot. Louise overcame the same deficit to beat Yani by 1 at the 2008 MasterCard.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #10

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
No one has the intimidation factor that Annika had. Lorena was obviously tough, as is Yani, but I don't see anyone who could hold off persuers as well as Annika did.
If Annika was a great putter vs. a good putter...she'd have all the significant LPGA records.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote