Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #11

Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert with their Ibanez Guitars

I have to admit to making purchases based on my favorite celebs/athletes...I play guitar (or did, anyway) and during the 80s and early 90s Ibanez Guitars became really popular with "shred" guitarists (players who emphasize technical proficiency...speed, accuracy, complex lines), including two of my favorites, Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert. At that point I was playing a Strat, but I went and bought an Ibanez RG series guitar, kind of an affordable version of Steve Vai's signature JEM line, which I could not afford at that time...

...now, guitars, for players, are a very personal thing...what works for one player might not work for another...some guys love their Gibson Les Pauls...others are Stat guys to the bone...etc...but I bought the RG through the mail (I was living in a place with one limited music store at the time) without ever having touched one...luckily, it turned out ok...they have very thin necks and an almost flat fretboard, which when you combine with low action makes the RG very easy to play fast...or "shred"...

...I also wanted one of Eddie Van Halen's signature guitars models, but they were too expensive and he kept changing manufacturers (Kramer, Music Man, Peavey, Fender)...kinda like how he keeps changing singers...

...I am also a big tennis fan and my favorite male player of all time is Ivan Lendl...at one time he was sponsored by Adidas and would wear these pretty cool (to me) Adidas polo shirts...so I bought them because of Lendl...

...I also bought a Yonex racquet because of my favorite female player of all time, Monica Seles...didn't quite feel comfortable using it, though...also, Prince oversized racquets were being used by a lot of top players...so I bought one of those, too...had problems controlling it...so I went back to my mid-sized Wilson...

...I also went through an "Air Jordan" Nike phase...

...shifting gears, I also have been influenced to NOT do something by an athlete...although I was a kid at the time...when I was growing up in Philadelphia, Dr. J (Julius Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrviiiiiiiing) was a HUGE star for the 76ers. He did a PSA where he was talking about how smoking was counterproductive to the things in life he was trying to achieve...this was a commercial aimed at kids...now maybe you might think this is cheesy, but he was a hero to me, so I said to myself that if Dr. J doesn't smoke...then I won't smoke...and I remembered that commercial my whole childhood and teenage years...and to this day I don't smoke...because my hero told me not to...

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 12-21-2009 at 07:25 AM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #12
Administrator

Ibanez is a nice guitar BKB, my old guitar teacher plays one. I wouldn't buy it because of a celebrity uses it though. You have to find a guitar that you are comfortable with playing. I use some cheap random brand its not my ideal but its good enough for a hack like me. That plus a pretty nice amp. I actually have no idea what guitars my favorite musicians use and don't give a crap.

2) For those who actively play golf here, does what your favorite player uses or wears affect your purchasing (I sound like a marketing survey) or do you play what feels right for you...or both?
It doesn't really worry me I wear kmart shirts and shorts (kmart like a cheap walmart) and custom made shirts that I had made cheap in penang, with some random jeans don't know brand, when I go out. Brand and what the players and people are wearing doesn't worry me in the least.

3) Beyond apparel and equipment, would you make a large money purchase, like buying a Buick or any other model of car, because your favorite player endorsed that brand?
I really like cars, and look at what celebs are driving because they have really nice cars. I would not buy a player endorsed brand. I'd buy a car that I like. (if i win lotto).

4) Do you think all athletes, not just golfers, are way overpaid for the money they bring their sponsors...or are they justly compensated for making Phil Knight and the rest of the power brokers tons of cash?
I don't know if they are overpaid? if the sponsors think they are worth the money then I don't have a problem with it. I think the money would be better spend on tournaments though? providing better TV exposure to brands. If Tiger gets 50 million a year (random figure) to do endorsements does this really make a product sell? it must do or so the sponsors think. I'd rather the money go toward more tournaments myself.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #13

Like most others I buy things because I want or need them, regardless of which 'star' might be paid for advertising.

I do buy Nike sneakers because they fit me better than other brands, same as I prefer FJ golf shoes to Etonic because of the fit, and FJ are cheaper than Nike - also a consideration.

Do companies get a nice tax break for all this? Anyone know what % of people actually do buy a Gillette razore because Federer, Henri and Woods advertise them?
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #14

Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Ibanez is a nice guitar BKB, my old guitar teacher plays one. I wouldn't buy it because of a celebrity uses it though. You have to find a guitar that you are comfortable with playing. I use some cheap random brand its not my ideal but its good enough for a hack like me. That plus a pretty nice amp. I actually have no idea what guitars my favorite musicians use and don't give a crap.

It doesn't really worry me I wear kmart shirts and shorts (kmart like a cheap walmart) and custom made shirts that I had made cheap in penang, with some random jeans don't know brand, when I go out. Brand and what the players and people are wearing doesn't worry me in the least.

I really like cars, and look at what celebs are driving because they have really nice cars. I would not buy a player endorsed brand. I'd buy a car that I like. (if i win lotto).

I don't know if they are overpaid? if the sponsors think they are worth the money then I don't have a problem with it. I think the money would be better spend on tournaments though? providing better TV exposure to brands. If Tiger gets 50 million a year (random figure) to do endorsements does this really make a product sell? it must do or so the sponsors think. I'd rather the money go toward more tournaments myself.
I am surprised...it looks like I am the only one here who has bought items based on favorite celebs....I must admit, I could have saved a great deal of money sticking with my trusty Wilson mid-sized racquet instead of buying Yonex and Prince racquets I had never even tried playing....

...with the guitars...you know...I guess somehow I thought buying the same guitars people like Van Halen, Vai and Gilbert play would make me play like them...somehow magically replacing practice...though I must admit, the Ibanez RG is perfectly set up for shredding...but you still have to practice, darn it!!

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 12-22-2009 at 08:39 AM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #15

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
Anyone know what % of people actually do buy a Gillette razore because Federer, Henri and Woods advertise them?
I'd be worried if I was Roger Federer.

Woods' and Henry's reputations have gone down the toilet in the past month.

And things usually happen in threes...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 12-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #16

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
I'd be worried if I was Roger Federer.

Woods' and Henry's reputations have gone down the toilet in the past month.

And things usually happen in threes...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
If it does StJ, then we won't be particularly surprised will we!
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote